Mac vs PC arguments

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've noticed over the last several years that pretty much every mac vs pc argument always finds the pc people using hardware cost as the defining difference.

It's always

"I can get a ----- with ----- and ---- and 4gigs of ram for ----- less then a crapple system."

Why doesn't anyone seem to notice or debate the fact that OS X is a better OS? Also that there are all these great little applications you just can't find for windows/linux. How about that everything just works.

Why is it always a debate about hardware? What good is a killer cheap PC if the software you're running on it isn't as great of an experience?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    timgertimger Posts: 3member
    well.... I'd prob be the only willing member here willing to debate but there'd probably be a huge brawl and I'd get attacked and have my organs harvested by crazed mac users everywhere lol jk jk but seriously if you wanna get a PC user and fan to defend themselves then you shouldn't post on a Mac Fan Site
  • Reply 2 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

I've noticed over the last several years that pretty much every mac vs pc argument always finds the pc people using hardware cost as the defining difference.

It's always

"I can get a ----- with ----- and ---- and 4gigs of ram for ----- less then a crapple system."

Why doesn't anyone seem to notice or debate the fact that OS X is a better OS? Also that there are all these great little applications you just can't find for windows/linux. How about that everything just works.

Why is it always a debate about hardware? What good is a killer cheap PC if the software you're running on it isn't as great of an experience?

As I've found out with my iMac, the superiority of the OS doesn't matter if the machine its running on isn't up to the job. Having to get a Mac that's wrong for you is as frustrating as having to use windows on a fast PC. Its a symbiotic relationship and If one is lacking, the user isn't getting the full experience they should be. Call me old fashioned, but I'm used to the pre-OCD Apple where you had options, the design team made a great case to fit what the engineers had made, and you didn't have to make a choice between performance, usability, and being able to feed your family for the next six months.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

Why doesn't anyone seem to notice or debate the fact that OS X is a better OS?

The OS is usually transparent to users as it's the software packages that allow the user to do things. Windows is not lacking in software support so it's not really an argument for Apple.

The main questions people will have when buying a machine are:

1. Can I afford it?

2. Does it do what I need?

Windows PCs have enough options that satisfy both for most people. Apple doesn't. You could ask why wouldn't you always buy the best house, shop at the best quality stores given that it's clear you get a better experience. If you can't afford it or have better things to spend your money on, spending more is wasteful.

I know people who can spend hundreds on watches, TVs and tens of thousands on a car but I wouldn't because I personally don't value those kind of things and so I make do with cheaper ones. I'm aware that better products make my experience better but they are luxuries I don't require.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I think that calling OS X a "superior OS" at this point is a matter of opinion. And of your software needs, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think that calling OS X a "superior OS" at this point is a matter of opinion. And of your software needs, of course.

This is why you always see the hardware arguments. Saying X software is better or that the experience of using OS X is so much smoother doesn't hold with everyone. Some people use OS X and despise it b/c they feel it doesn't allow them the room they need to tweak. Of course, when you're used to having to brute force an OS into doing what works better in your mind, that is the mindset. You have a big hammer and everything looks like nails.

Subjective feelings about an experience using a device are very hard to debate. Raw computational power is much easier to understand and throw out there.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Why do people assume a PC always run Windows? I will take an Ubuntu box over Windows any day. It is a question of what I can do with it. Thankfully, other than gaming and legacy windows apps that dont work on Wine, Ubuntu is a good alternative. OS X has more eye candy, but it isn't worth it if the applications aren't there.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Bingo. I'm open to either OS, as both work as well as the other for me. So it all boils down to hardware and price, which means the PC wins. This would probably be the same for the vast majority of people as most people do relatively simple things with their computers.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

It's always

Because it depends on your focus.

For the majority of Apple customers the user experience trumps the poor bang for the buck in terms of hardware specs. If bang for the buck was their primary criteria they would be HP customers or building their own white box.

The other thing is people both over and underestimate the value of OSX.

OSX helps considerably when you're considering user experience for the entire platform. This is Apple's huge competitive edge when trying to woo customers for whom user experience is important.

OSX doesn't help considerably when you're primary criteria is bang for the buck. You're looking for the most "productivity" (whether work, gaming, or whatever) for your budget (whether $200 or $2000). Windows on a HP box wins handily here.

Folks who really value user experience (aka Apple Customers) feel that OSX is worth some huge premium and any Apple equipment (like say an xMac) can command a huge margin and still sell vs a HP costing hundreds less. By not offering an xMac Apple is artificially constraining themselves from gaining market share.

Except it isn't worth some huge premium to the majority of customers who will be more than happy with Windows 7 at significantly lower cost (or even somewhat lower cost).

Windows 7 is a solid OS and will be as successful as XP has been. That MS had Windows Me and Windows Vista doesn't mean they can't make a great OS for the primary computing demographic. MS knows their market as well as Apple knows its.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Why doesn't anyone seem to notice or debate the fact that OS X is a better OS?

They do. All the time. Apple releases commercials about it, even.