Dell working on pocket-sized Internet gadget

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Dell, which has long been searching for an answer to Apple's iPhone and iPod touch handhelds, is reportedly in the intermediate development stages of a new pocket-sized gadget that will let users access the Internet on the go.

The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday cited two people familiar with the matter as saying the device will run Google's open Android software and possibly employ ARM-based microchips similar to those currently found in Apple's multi-touch handhelds.

Dell reportedly began developing the gadget last year with the help of engineers that were once tasked with conceiving a direct rival to the iPod. That project was aborted, and the Journal noted that there's no certainty that the electronics maker's latest efforts to develop a mobile internet device (MID) won't be similarly "delayed or scrapped entirely."

Still, Dell is said to be exploring the idea of marketing its embryonic MID with the help of wireless carriers who would presumably supply the device with 3G or other connectivity. Those carriers would likely subsidize the cost of the gadget alongside lengthy service agreements.

People familiar with the project told the Journal that Dell would ideally begin selling its new MID, which is slightly larger than an iPod touch, later this year alongside a series of mobile handsets that will also run Android software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Using Android is about the only possible success vector for Dell.

Possible...not likely...

Still, they have decent netbooks so it's not beyond the possibility that they can succeed in a portable computing device.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Using Android is about the only possible success vector for Dell.

Possible...not likely...

Still, they have decent netbooks so it's not beyond the possibility that they can succeed in a portable computing device.

More lengthy contracts? No thanks.

If they can strike a deal for pay as you go or cheap 3G internet access then the little "MID" of theirs would sell. That's providing the device is decent enough.
  • Reply 3 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    It's like the race to the moon. Who will get there first- Apple or Dell?
  • Reply 4 of 97
    Engadget has a blurry elevator picture of it.
  • Reply 5 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Pocket-sized. So, Apple. 2 years ago.

It's a much better move for Dell to try the pocketable computer business than the music player business or the phone business. Hopefully they use the design teams that have been turning out their Studio products. You know, the ones who are at least trying.
  • Reply 6 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Pocket-sized. So, Apple. 2 years ago.

It's a much better move for Dell to try the pocketable computer business than the music player business or the phone business. Hopefully they use the design teams that have been turning out their Studio products. You know, the ones who are at least trying.

But what about 7 - 11" size- Netbook sized?
  • Reply 7 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    LOL.

That's right. Add another one to the pile, Mikey.
  • Reply 8 of 97
    Quote:

Get first to where?
  • Reply 9 of 97
    jcatma61jcatma61 Posts: 37member
    MID. That's really catchy. I hope it's brown. I love brown.

Wonder how much coal it burns.
  • Reply 10 of 97
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Good luck with that.
  • Reply 11 of 97
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcatma61 View Post

MID. That's really catchy. I hope it's brown. I love brown.

Wonder how much coal it burns.

Get a white iPhone and give it a week.
  • Reply 12 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Get a white Phone and give it a week.

I haven't checked this, but do they have the 3GS in white?
  • Reply 13 of 97
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What I'm saying is that Apples iPhone/iPod approach is hard to beat because it offers up choice to the purchaser. That is why if Apple comes out with a larger tablet / iPod, one of the best thing they could do is make the device with an expansion slot for the RF modem if the user wants it.

As to Dell hardware isn't the problem, state of the art software is. In that regards I don't think Android will cut the mustard.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 97
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Dell's business model needs to change to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Perhaps this is one step on the way to doing this.
  • Reply 15 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Dell's business model needs to change to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Perhaps this is one step on the way to doing this.

Dell's entire attitude/priorities about design, software, engineering . . . pretty much everything across the board, has to change. And it all starts with what is going through everyone's head at design/engineering roundtable discussions. So far, it seems to have been a lot of tumbleweed and wind whistling through empty spaces.

Dell is so far behind Apple even in terms of sheer ability to conceptualize "new" and "compelling" that it isn't even funny. Dell is a follower. And they're about to slide below Acer, to boot.
  • Reply 16 of 97
  • Reply 17 of 97
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Dell working on pocket-sized Internet gadget

Going to run Google's software too, and the CEO of Google is on Apple's board.

"Hey Eric, when are you going to release Android 2.0?"

"When do you want me to release it?"

Stupid Dell.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Dell's entire attitude/priorities about design, software, engineering . . . pretty much everything across the board, has to change. And it all starts with what is going through everyone's head at design/engineering roundtable discussions. So far, it seems to have been a lot of tumbleweed and wind whistling through empty spaces.

Dell is so far behind Apple even in terms of sheer ability to conceptualize "new" and "compelling" that it isn't even funny. Dell is a follower. And they're about to slide below Acer, to boot.

If Dell is a follower then why do iMacs nowadays look like Dells?
  • Reply 19 of 97
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Going to run Google's software too, and the CEO of Google is on Apple's board.

"Hey Ed, when are you going to release Android 2.0?"

"When do you want me to release it?"

Stupid Dell.

isnt his name Eric?
  • Reply 20 of 97
    Quote:

If Dell is a follower then why do iMacs nowadays look like Dells?

How do iMacs look like Dells?

And I'd imagine it would be the other way round.