Dell working on pocket-sized Internet gadget

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

But what about 7 - 11" size- Netbook sized?

MARK my words here

it will fit in a lab coat pocket

so 8"x6"

It will be a tablet .all glass all touch

It will be just like a mini air < no dvd >

I will have 1 cpu chip and 2 gpu chips

It will run on full mac os

It will thought of as a large touch

It will make skype phone calls

MARK MY WORDS TECKDUDE
  • Reply 22 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactripper View Post

going to run google's software too, and the ceo of google is on apple's board.

"hey ed, when are you going to release android 2.0?"

"when do you want me to release it?"

:d

stupid dell.

dell is going all matte soon
  • Reply 23 of 97
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Let see another device to add to your pocket, along with a phone and ipod/MP3, Camera and PSP or DS if you have not gone to an iphone of itouch.

So Dell solution is to make another device so you have to carry more with you. I am sorry am I missing something here or does Dell know something that the rest of us are missing.

Having an iPhone in the house is starting me to questions why a need a laptop around.... the iPhone is doing more and more of the things my laptop does for me and weighs less.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Keep on searching... Nothing wrong with Dell but just doesn't seem to fit in their game plan. But on the other hand, competition is good!
  • Reply 25 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

MARK my words here

it will fit in a lab coat pocket

so 8"x6"

It will be a tablet .all glass all touch

It will be just like a mini air < no dvd >

I will have 1 cpu chip and 2 gpu chips

It will run on full mac os

It will thought of as a large touch

It will make skype phone calls

MARK MY WORDS TECKDUDE

So iTab not iPad? or MaxiPad?
  • Reply 26 of 97
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

dell is going all matte soon

Got a link? \
  • Reply 27 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Let see another device to add to your pocket, along with a phone and ipod/MP3, Camera and PSP or DS if you have not gone to an iphone of itouch.

So Dell solution is to make another device so you have to carry more with you. I am sorry am I missing something here or does Dell know something that the rest of us are missing.

Having an iPhone in the house is starting me to questions why a need a laptop around.... the iPhone is doing more and more of the things my laptop does for me and weighs less.

This.

We're moving toward a place where everything is consolidated on one deivce, and that "one device" is getting better and better at all functions - phone, web, games, e-mail, online services, notifications, apps, games, music, etc.

To release a handheld that is supposed to be an "internet device" without phone functionality (when we already have an amazing "internet device" WITH phone functionality) is just silly.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How do iMacs look like Dells?

And I'd imagine it would be the other way round.

Dell has had the metallic and black look with a blackbordered screen for like 6 years. Even the cheap black plastic on the back of the iMac couldn't be more Dellish. Dell has had that black backed look like forever. And Dell had the glossy look first.
  • Reply 29 of 97
    Quote:

Dell has had the metallic and black look with a blackbordered screen for like 6 years. Even the cheap black plastic on the back of the iMac couldn't be more Dellish. Dell has had that black backed look like forever.

Link to pics, please.

EDIT:

You mean this?

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/..._2-480x468.jpg
  • Reply 30 of 97
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Dell has had the metallic and black look with a blackbordered screen for like 6 years. Even the cheap black plastic on the back of the iMac couldn't be more Dellish. Dell has had that black backed look like forever. And Dell had the glossy look first.

are you talking about this

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I think that was just released

or are you talking about this one

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20071227...ete-with-imac/

That came out in 2007, not quite 6 yrs.

Or maybe your referring to their monitors that look like what the IMAC look like
  • Reply 31 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

are you talking about this

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I think that was just released

or are you talking about this one

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20071227...ete-with-imac/

That cam out in 2007, not quite 6 yrs.

Or maybe your referring to their monitors that look like what the IMAC look like

I think he's totally confused.

In any case, I see no resemblance between any of Dell's "me too" answers to the iMac, beyond the fact that they all have the form factor typical to all-in-ones.
  • Reply 32 of 97
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:

teck - You say a lot of outrageous things around here, to be sure. I chalk most of up to light-hearted flaming. But to say Apple is taking their design cues from Dell is really just beyond the scope of sanity. Are you for real?
  • Reply 33 of 97
    Quote:

so itab not ipad? Or maxipad?

AirTouch

• Reply 34 of 97
    Quote:

Oh God...
  • Reply 35 of 97
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    If the story is true this is somewhat of a blow to Intel.

While Intel hope to see Atom in smart phones eventually they'd really like to see Atom in MIDS now.

Also having a formerly staunch supporter defect to rival technology has got to sting a bit although I wonder how close Dell and Intel are these days.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    it better be a lot cheaper than the iphone, which is pretty hard to do or a lot better

you can make a valid argument over buying a $600 Dell/HP laptop over a MacBook Pro. but the iphone is the same price or cheaper than most of the data/web cell phones. and since most of the cost is the monthly service Dell is in a real bind here especially with a $99 8GB 3G iphone being on sale
  • Reply 37 of 97
    I don't see how the marketing executives of these companies think that they can make a better portable pocket-sized device than Apple. Look at the facts - they're starting years late, Android software still doesn't match OSX portable, apps/usability. In terms of engineering, It's true apple haven't always used the best components on the market, but the thing is the software always runs well on the components they use. Hardware assembled, and software written by Apple in unison has made it work.

Dell should stick to what they're good at (not much).
  • Reply 38 of 97
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Make room on the heap of failed Dell projects, right next to the Dell Digital Jukebox.

Android may give Dell a better shot at Apple, but only a long shot. I think they are discovering that what Apple does isn't easy, it only looks easy.
  • Reply 39 of 97
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Is Dell going to consult with Rob Enderle on this one too?

'Cause his track record of success is unparalleled.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    Soooo........ what does Dell bring to the table that others can't/don't?