Mozilla releases faster, safer, smarter version of Firefox browser

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post

Totally agree with the multiple tab rows! However, just checked and Firefox warns that TabMixPlus 0.3.7.3 is incompatible wit FF v3.5

Oh well, I hope the developer updates TMP soon ;-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Count my vote against the idea of multiple rows of tabs. Talk about a user interface nightmare. So glad that Apple doesn't give into such ideas, because 3rd parties would just abuse them to bits.

What user interface nightmare ?! Have you ever tried using it ? I have about 45 tabs currently open in FF 3.5 in a nice 3 row arrangement. I click on one and i instantly see the page. Where is the usability problem ? They all have favicons and the active one is green underlined. This makes navigating between them relatively easy.

Adi
  • Reply 22 of 92
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The over all Safari stat usually also includes iPhone/iTouch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

Safari 8.5% is hardly global statistic, much more likely a US-only statistic (probably dressed up as "global"). E.g. OS X in Europe is roughly on 3%. Go figure.

• Reply 23 of 92
    Elaboration defeats the point of making sensationalistic statements.

Quote:

Please elaborate on why.

• Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:

Please elaborate on why.

1) It is s-l-o-w compared to the previous version. Especially when loading up for the first time after turning on the computer.

2) I miss the active the loading bar.

3) I miss the refresh button on the top left.

4) I find nothing new or interesting in this version (vis-a-vis my usage habits).

5) One would think that, by now, Apple would have better cookie-management software (e.g., allowing me to create 'cookie folders', being able to easily get rid of - or not store - crappy cookies from all the ad-sites and ancillary sites associated with the pages I visit, etc).
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Elaboration defeats the point of making sensationalistic statements.

You spoke too soon....
  • Reply 26 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Once I figured out that I had a dormant plug-in and removed it, Safari has been working fine for me.

But I still use Firefox as my primary because of a certain plug-ins and certain behaviors that I prefer.

What dormant plug-in? Perhaps that explains the sluggishness on first boot-up......
  • Reply 27 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't hate Safari but I do prefer the old refresh button and the close tab hover x doesn't really appeal to me either. Otherwise it's ok. I use FF on Windows though.

I use Safari on Windows, too. mainly because I don't use the fF extensions and Safari 4 Beta gives me the most browser window space on a netbook, even a little more than Chrome.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Safari 4 is fast, Firefox 3 (and I guess 3,5) are fast. But there is one thing - both of them stops rendering if they miss something from the page. pages like AppleInsider and such are seldom a problem. Take a regular newpaper instead. Ohhh my god! Ads from several sub-suppliers and many sites to fetch from. Sometimes both Safari and Firefox stops for what feals like minutes! 130 of 131 it says, just to after beginning loading again say 150 of 156 and so on.

Does the browser wait for a complete page before renedering because it looks nice? I'm sick and tired of this! I don't need all pictures to evaluate a page. I can find a article and move on without the 50 or so ads.

Change Safari and changs Firefox to render as soon as they can!
  • Reply 29 of 92
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

. Sometimes both Safari and Firefox stops for what feals like minutes! 130 of 131 it says, just to after beginning loading again say 150 of 156 and so on.

Does the browser wait for a complete page before renedering because it looks nice? I'm sick and tired of this! I don't need all pictures to evaluate a page. I can find a article and move on without the 50 or so ads.

Change Safari and changs Firefox to render as soon as they can!

That is a web development issue. If you code everything inside an enclosing <table> then it waits. Of course that is the way everyone codes because it looks nice.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Some of my extensions were disabled

Yes, because the extension developers haven't had time to update them yet. If you must download a new update the microsecond it gets released then I'm afraid it kind of goes with the territory.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Nothing you've listed proves Safari crappy in general. It may not fit your personal preference. Unless you feel the world revolves around your personal preference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You spoke too soon....

• Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is a web development issue. If you code everything inside an enclosing <table> then it waits. Of course that is the way everyone codes because it looks nice.

Any competent web developer stopped using tables to do layout and replaced them with CSS years ago. Tables should only be used for, erm, tables.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

Any competent web developer stopped using tables to do layout and replaced them with CSS years ago. Tables should only be used for, erm, tables.

I agree in theory but there are situations where tables are quite convenient. DIV with CSS is just another tool in the kit and not completely without issues either.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Ah Firefox, how you are faster than Safari 4 and support better color management for wide gamut displays!

Plus it feels faster just from loading it up to browsing in general. So far so good.

See, this is why people think FireFox users are stuck up. The very first comment and you have to say it's "faster than Safari," when the article specifically doesn't say that.

FireFox has much bigger market share. Why crap on Safari users over one of the few things Safari does better, which is the speed?
  • Reply 35 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's not Webkit.

• Reply 36 of 92
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I still like Safari best. Unfortunately, version 4 looks too Windows-ish. For my needs, Safari and Firefox are near identical. Safari does play better with the other Apple apps like Preview. As for speed and function, I can't see any real difference. On the Windows side, Firefox is better for me. Safari is really slow. IE is terrible, as is Chrome. Firefox is by far THE browser for Ubuntu. Advantage Firefox. Many Windows users also believe it is the most secure.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Even if Firefox did everything else (marginally) better than Safari, I'd still use Safari 4 just because of coverflow browsing of history. I am *always* remembering that I saw something but can't remember where, and cover flow browsing of history saves my ass.

No question, that is the best feature of any browser for me. Once I got used to it, I can't bear to use any other browser.

Funny thing is, I never use Cover flow in iTunes or Finder, both of those have always seemed like useless gimmicks. But the history implementation is GENIUS IMO.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Simple Question: Does your browser fully comply with HTML4.01, HTML5, CSS2.1 and CSS3; and SVG1.1/1.2?

I won't even mention MathML which when that happens one can finally leverage browsers for far more technical markets.

However, instead of standards for the browser being the benchmark I'm seeing whiny discussions on plugins and how tab functionality is enhanced.

Get my question answered and I'm happy.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

See, this is why people think FireFox users are stuck up. The very first comment and you have to say it's "faster than Safari," when the article specifically doesn't say that.

FireFox has much bigger market share. Why crap on Safari users over one of the few things Safari does better, which is the speed?

They are crapping on Safari because not only is Safari eating away more of IE it is also eating away part of FF market growth.

Add Chrome and the WebKit based browser market will surpass the Gecko market within 18 months.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Nothing you've listed proves Safari crappy in general. It may not fit your personal preference. Unless you feel the world revolves around your personal preference.

Maybe 'craptastic' was too strong. I really meant "mediocre." (I'll go back and edit).