VOIP for the iphone suggestions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
my exchange students have moved back home (japan and finland) i'm working on video chat with gmail and perhaps meebo but

what about voip apps for the iphone

a friend suggested truphone but reviews for the 3.0 version aren't good

what have you tried?

what about

myglobaltalk it got 4 stars from 11 ratings

this way i can call when i'm away from home

for home mac, my finish daughter uses voipcheap but i'd rather do this on my iphone, it has a speakerphone and my family can listen in rather than a headset.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah on this I'm curious, is it possible to call phone to phone for free over WiFi with VOIP/SIP like Fring? I mean a real phone to a real phone. Fring's site seems to suggest this but it isn't clear actually, and that seems too good to be true...no?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    There's Skype which I've only found useful for calling other Skype users as their call rates are rather high when you call to normal phones.

To clarify for the previous post the calls I'm discussing involve calling normal fixed or mobile phone numbers, from your iPhone via WiFi and VOIP.

I use one called Pennytel which works well (8c flat rate calls to thirty countries) and is cheap with flat rate untimed calls, I'm not sure how localized the App store is for these kinds of things, they also offer a callback service if you don't have a wifi connection available.

This works by you initiating a call via VOIP and they call you back on your mobile number when it connects.

Fring let's you use any SIP provider you want which is useful.

It's really a matter of comparing rates to match the calls you want to make VOIP companies seem to offer lower prices to different regions.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    ease of use, works easily with contacts, and voice quality, minimal echo

there are alot that are 3 stars, i want to call iphone to mobile or landline if only landline that's ok and low rates
  • Reply 4 of 13
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

ease of use, works easily with contacts, and voice quality, minimal echo

there are alot that are 3 stars, i want to call iphone to mobile or landline if only landline that's ok and low rates

Pennytel, I've been using them for 10 months.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    many of these want you to buy credits, so that's the reason i want to focus my attention on those people have used and recommend to others
  • Reply 6 of 13
    with pennytel have you activated from the US some reviews say because of exchange rates AUS$ that it messes up your chargecard

i tried with globalcall because of its higher 4star rating but when i try to "verify" my number (use my cell phone number) i get a error message can't connect to server
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So you can't call another phone from the iPhone over WiFi for free? I suppose that would be too good to be true. Someone has to pay to switch it from the Net to the phone network at the main trunk right. The developer would probably be in a mysterious "car accident" if in fact they could develop such a thing, anyway!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I've used an app called SIPPhone, although it cost me $6.99 to purchase, it works really well by WiFi and calling VOIP. Pretty easy to setup although I did find two mistakes in their auto configuration for the VOIP provider I am using. I've tried fring but find it less reliable, also I believe fring's servers are in Israel and may affect call quality. Skype also works and I believe they give you some 'free' credit to make calls to the PSTN.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    tried callglobal because of its reviews, but could never get it to "verify" my number kept telling me to restart the app.

on to pennytel as suggested

long tedious process, sign up on website tedious, not intuitive website, figured i had to "buy" or charge (in AUD) something then you have to wait till your credit card shows the activity then put in the "code" so far after 24hours hasn't showed up on my card, so i can't verify my cellphone number it keeps putting me in circles. this all from the website, they need a simple from the app system.

so we keep trying

google talk needs to be on the iphone then i just tell my "daughter" to get gmail, one already has it and we used google video chat worked like a charm but i want an iphone system.

maybe i'll try truphone.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    michaelabmichaelab Posts: 83member
    I've used both Truphone and Fring and rate them both highly. Truphone is much easier to setup but you're limited to their service and their rates. Fring OTOH lets you configure whichever SIP provider you think gives you the best rates/service.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

I've used both Truphone and Fring and rate them both highly. Truphone is much easier to setup but you're limited to their service and their rates. Fring OTOH lets you configure whichever SIP provider you think gives you the best rates/service.

so with fring how do you get the "sip" settings i have gmail, but if the other person doesn't have it can it work

what "sip" did you use with fring?

support has emailed me about globaltalk did what they said and still wont' confirm my number....server busy.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    michaelabmichaelab Posts: 83member
    Open Fring, choose "More..." from the toolbar at the bottom and one of the options is "SIP". Choose that and the options are fairly straightforward. The SIP provider I use with Fring is poivY. I chose it at the time because it had the cheapest rates for Portugal. It's a Betamax "clone" like all the others (Voipcheap etc).

I don't know what gmail has to do with Fring or Voip...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    pennytel far to tedious, have to wait days for your charge to show up then use the code they need to make it simpler--gave up

truphone easy set up reasonable rates

tada what i've used and happy with

CALLGLOBAL APP from ideasforiphone, neat interface once their server accepted my number (4 tries) worked great to my call to finland mobile phone, no echo, very clear, just a little less quality than landline.

and i'm giving it 5 stars........4 for their app and an one extra for their customer service i sent them a email for support and they shot back a quick reply very helpful and walked me through actually i just gave them my number and next time i "registered" bingo. my wife says it sounded great.

pennytel needs to buff up their app and customer support make it easier to set up

at there website http://www.callglobalapp.com/blog/ it says it uses att lines how i don't know but the call quality is great, no wonder

so long as their rates are competitive

rates for callblobal to japan and finland mobile is 11cents 25 cents for truphone