Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

To enable you to do what?

Buy, as in purchase, as in own.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wait for Apple to get rid of the defective ones from the pipeline before purchasing? It has to do with me because I'm all set to buy one. Will a software update take care of the heating/cracking/discoloration issue?

You're all set to buy one??

You've only been trolling about the iPhone and AT&T for what, months now . . .
  • Reply 63 of 140
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

You're all set to buy one??

You've only been trolling about the iPhone and AT&T for what, months now . . .

I haven't been trolling- I've simply been pointing out what the iphone lacked and what I wanted.( Video, MMS, cut n paste, better camera) Now that it has those features I'm good to go. I can live with AT&T's trash as I've heard people say the network it supposed to get upgraded soon. The 3Gs has received excellent reviews (save for this new heating issue) and now is the time. I've outgrown my Touch.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    Quote:

I haven't been trolling- I've simply been pointing out what the iphone lacked and what I wanted.( Video, MMS, cut n paste, better camera) Now that it has those features I'm good to go. I can live with AT&T's trash as I've heard people say the network it supposed to get upgraded soon. The 3Gs has received excellent reviews (save for this new heating issue) and now is the time. I've outgrown my Touch.

Enjoy.

I'd say just go ahead and buy. You'll be under warranty, anyway. Seems that all it takes is a firnware fix if there are any heat issues, and it's possibe that the OS 3.1 update addresses that.
  • Reply 65 of 140
    Quote:

Enjoy.

I'd say just go ahead and buy. You'll be under warranty, anyway. Seems that all it takes is a firnware fix if there are any heat issues, and it's possibe that the OS 3.1 update addresses that.

thanks
  • Reply 66 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Then PLEASE tell me one case when Apple didn't put out iPhone X.xx after a phone release?

Going from Firmware 3.0x to 3.1 (Apple's firmware releases have gone for months) without a jump from X.0x to X.1. Or in this case 3.0 to 3.1.

Pre Release.

You really should learn a bit about how product development works before spouting off.

At some point before release, the product is frozen. Let's say you're going to release Snow Leopard on October 1. Probably around mid-August, you'd lock the feature set and focus on fixing only the major bugs. That becomes the 10.6.0 release.

AT THE SAME TIME (mid-August to Oct 1 in this case), you have a group of people working on features that weren't quite ready by the mid-Aug cutoff date and/or bugs that were too minor to fix before the Oct 1 release. Let's say they release 10.6.1 on Nov 1. Since they had 6 weeks of working on it before the Oct 1 release, it LOOKS like they only did a month of work, but in reality, they did 2 1/2 months of work.

You can be 100% sure that the work on 3.1 was well underway before 3.0 was shipped.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Edit. Explain the WHITE iPhones with a Tan. I'm sure there is an explanation to explain the release but I'm sure many will justify it and accept it as the norm.

Who is accepting it as the norm? There appear to be two prevailing attitudes:

1. Look at this terrible phone. Apple is evil. Sue them to oblivion!

2. "The number or reports are limited so far and the defective phones are being replaced by Apple. Let's see how widespread the problem is and whether it requires a large scale redesign or recall before going off the deep end"

#2 is clearly more rational.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Count on it and the lawsuits to follow. Apple really shit the bed on this one. They need to pay more, cut the margins just a bit and opt for higher quality internals. I consider batteries as a key component to the iPhone.

Lawsuits? So far, there is one confirmed report and a couple of rumors. The ones covered by rumors say that Apple is replacing their phones. Given 1 M product sales in the first weekend, a couple of defective products wouldn't be that surprising.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Actually, you are incorrect. Apple's normal tactic is to appear to ignore the potential issue publicly. Mean while, it studies the matter to determine if there really is an issue, whether or not the potential problem is widespread, and finally the cause of the problem. If there is a problem and it effects enough people, it will find a fix and quietly replace the phones of users reporting the problems. There is nothing gained by acknowledging a potential problem based on a hand full of people complaining about something.

Exactly. Apple has recalled products before. If there is a widespread problem, they will undoubtedly do it again. But it is foolish to start running around in circles every time you get a complaint or two from Internet sources.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So far only one iPhone has been pictured like this and it was from some french website. The image has been circulated around the web but no others have surfaced.

Kinda like the lone images of the white 3Gs with 'cracks' around the audio jack.

Trick is, 9 months later I see those cracks on my black 3G too. (And I also have lint under the glass screen; very obnoxious in daylight.) And I already returned my initial 3G because the mic just up and died one day. So I have no problem believing that Apple may have a few bad units out there.
  • Reply 68 of 140
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Kinda like the lone images of the white 3Gs with 'cracks' around the audio jack.

Trick is, 9 months later I see those cracks on my black 3G too. (And I also have lint under the glass screen; very obnoxious in daylight.) And I already returned my initial 3G because the mic just up and died one day. So I have no problem believing that Apple may have a few bad units out there.

Get it replaced.

I have a 2G iPhone, a 3G iPhone and now the 3GS. The 3G is black and a will be a year old on the 11th of July. Its in mint condition with no scratches cracks or otherwise. I have a 32GB white 3GS and the only time it ever felt warm was after I transferred 23GB of data onto it.

I have recorded video for 60 minutes straight and it feels warm but no where as warm as my Sony K770i gets after making a 15 minute call.

The only issue I have ever had with any of the iPhones was with the 3G. When I took it out of the box it had a dark spot on the screen so I took it back and had it replaced the same day. No issues since then.

Also, could AI please change the title of this thread to:

A single French White iPhone 3GS unit discoloring from excessive heat?

I think that if you look back to a year ago you will see thousands of posts stating hardware issues and faults which all disappeared after the 3G had been around for a month or so. As with any product like the iPhone, Xbox, PS3 etc you get the usual haters, jealous fanboys, naysayers and just the general poor who can't afford one all flocking to forums to spread FUD.
  • Reply 69 of 140
    At most, your average iPhone under heavy use will feel warm. NOT scorching hot.

People are going crazy for no reason. and I'd say a portion of it is done deliberately in order to cause a sensation - a kind of unpaid astroturfing.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    dezlboydezlboy Posts: 4member
    This web site says to reload the 3.0 firmware to fix heat problem.

http://orangecountycomputer.com/2009...y-life-issues/
  • Reply 71 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dezlboy View Post

Interesting. Thanks for the link!
  • Reply 72 of 140
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple so far hasn't commented on the issue and has taken to closing a large discussion thread on its forum centering on the subject.

Almost always these threads get deleted simply because they are only (or turn into) a bitchfest, not because there is a problem.
  • Reply 73 of 140
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Big surprise... I'm so sick of the shitty product quality coming out of China...

I'd MUCH rather pay 25+% more for products knowing they are manufactured to high tolerances with good quality control.

You, me, and five other people. Everyone else is already complaining that the iPhone is too expensive. It's simply not realistic to think that any company could survive these days by charging more for a quality product built under optimal conditions. That era is over. Wal-Mart has won. The people have spoken.

Forget quality. Forget worker conditions. Just make it cheaper, no matter what the cost.

Having said that, my iPhone is working just fine. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of other people's iPhones are working just fine. You build something on an assembly line, you're going to get a few duds. The question is, how does Apple react to the duds? So far, I've never had any trouble getting a replacement unit from Apple. A trip to the genius bar is usually all it takes to walk home with a new iPhone, as long as your old one had a legitimate issue.

At the moment, I'm sure Apple is gathering data, trying to figure out what the browned iPhones all have in common. Are they coming from a specific region? A specific batch that was made in factory A instead of B? Are they being operated in warmer than usual climates? Are their users putting them in cases or not? Like any investigation, it takes time to figure out the problem and fix it. In the meantime, all they can do is replace your phone. I haven't heard of Apple refusing to replace anyone's toasted white iPhone yet. If that happens, then you have a problem. Until then, welcome to the real world.
  • Reply 74 of 140
    I think the same group of drunk monkeys doing OS interface design at Apple are also doing their quality control.
  • Reply 75 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) the camera is still crap in reference to your previous postings. It's still only 3Mpx, which is well behind camera from years ago.

2) It has a glass covered glossy display. Ohs nos!

3) AT&T is still using a GSM-based network so there voice calls will always suck compared to a CDMA-based network for years to come. There is also no magic button to push to "fix their broken network", as you like to put it. There is absolutely no proof that your area of use will get any updates that will make your service better. On top of that, there are probably a lot more AT&T users with new iPhones in your area so your bandwidth and dropped calls may even be more constrained than they were a month ago. Remember the highway planning analogy!

4) You'll have to pay $69 + $20 for unlimited SMS (which apparently you use) + all the taxes. You stated how much of a rip off that is when your iPod Touch has no such charges.

5) There is no MMS or tethering at this time. The timeframe of "later in the summer" is not set in stone. It could be like Push Notifications and come a year later for all we know..

6) With all the bitching and moaning you've done about the iPhone and AT&T and every point I've made above it's impossible to think that you are serious when the ONLY thing in your list that has been resolved is the copy/paste, which you didn't have when you bought the iPod Touch and which you could get now.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    burn baby burn
  • Reply 77 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) the camera is still crap in reference to your previous postings. It's still only 3Mpx, which is well behind camera from years ago.

2) It has a glass covered glossy display. Ohs nos!

3) AT&T is still using a GSM-based network so there voice calls will always suck compared to a CDMA-based network for years to come. There is also no magic button to push to "fix their broken network", as you like to put it. There is absolutely no proof that your area of use will get any updates that will make your service better. On top of that, there are probably a lot more AT&T users with new iPhones in your area so your bandwidth and dropped calls may even be more constrained than they were a month ago. Remember the highway planning analogy!

4) You'll have to pay $69 + $20 for unlimited SMS (which apparently you use) + all the taxes. You stated how much of a rip off that is when your iPod Touch has no such charges.

5) There is no MMS or tethering at this time. The timeframe of "later in the summer" is not set in stone. It could be like Push Notifications and come a year later for all we know..

6) With all the bitching and moaning you've done about the iPhone and AT&T and every point I've made above it's impossible to think that you are serious when the ONLY thing in your list that has been resolved is the copy/paste, which you didn't have when you bought the iPod Touch and which you could get now.

Why are you trying to talk me out of buying this? You left out the MAIN reason for buying it- VIDEO. In fact many have stated that it should be callled the iPhone 3GV- because of the video feature is the best more than the speed. Once I played with the video at the Apple store I knew the simplicity of the video was the factor that has taken me over the edge. And the current camera is better than the last camera 2MPx- isn't it (autofocus)? 3MPx is more than fine- besides it's the quality of those Mpxs that counts. My Touch has a glass display- why would I not mind? I would never buy an iMac with a glossy display- but that's another matter.

PS- Now that you're on LALAtime -it must bug you to join the discussion so late in our day.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    mavfan1mavfan1 Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think authoritarian fits a lot better. I don't think they're really communist, the label really doesn't seem to fit anymore.

Start the list of all the communist regimes that haven't been authoritarian. The two go hand in hand, no matter what your college professors try to tell you!
  • Reply 79 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why are you trying to talk me out of buying this? You left out the MAIN reason for buying it- VIDEO. In fact many have stated that it should be callled the iPhone 3GV- because of the video feature is the best more than the speed. Once I played with the video at the Apple store I knew the simplicity of the video was the factor that has taken me over the edge. And the current camera is better than the last camera 2MPx- isn't it (autofocus)? 3MPx is more than fine- besides it's the quality of those Mpxs that counts. My Touch has a glass display- why would I not mind? I would never buy an iMac with a glossy display- but that's another matter.

PS- Now that you're on LALAtime -it must bug you to join the discussion so late in our day.

1) The reason to buy a phone, as you?ve stated many times, is to make calls. Something that is impossible to do on AT&T, as you?ve also stated many times.

2) The Video is only VGA and the CMOS and lens is worse than some Nokia phones from 2007. We know this because you told us how great those cameras were and how Apple could have added video at any time they wanted.

3) The video is only possible because of the new speed so to say that video is better than the speed is silly.

4) Regardless of your recent lip service about the Touch and the new iPhone you have stated many, many times (ad nauseam) that a glass covered display is bad because it?s creates too much glare. Surely you haven?t forgotten, ?people who like glossy displays are ignorant!?

5) If you want a good portable video camera buy that for a few hundred dollars instead of paying thousands for a decent phone video camera "that can?t even make calls because AT&T sucks."
  • Reply 80 of 140
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dezlboy View Post

Interesting. You know what? When I first got my Touch Pro, the speaker was really quiet, and the windows directory took a while to load up. After doing a hard reset, everything ran much faster and the speaker was much louder.

Has anyone here tried this fix? Heck, has anyone here had overheating issues? I'd like to see some testimony lol