iPhone Software 3.1 to enhance video editing and Voice Control

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday began testing the first maintenance update to its new iPhone 3.0 software, which patches a handful of bugs but also introduces new features tied to video, Voice Control, and the handsets vibration mode. [Updated with info on saving video email attachments and better battery life.]

More specifically, developers testing the release overnight report that iPhone Software 3.1 will allow you to "Save a Copy" of video recordings that have been trimmed, rather than being forced over-write the original copy of the video, as is the case in iPhone Software 3.0. The update will also allow you to save to your photo album videos that have been sent as email attachments.

Another noteworthy enhancement is the ability to issue commands to the iPhone's new Voice Control feature over Bluetooth headsets. Spoken commands when running iPhone Software 3.0 aren't picked up by Bluetooth headsets, and are instead channeled through an iPhone's built-in microphone even when a headset is connected.

Several developers are also reporting that the MMS button has resurfaced in the Messages application, possibly signaling plans by AT&T to begin supporting picture, sound, and video messages around the release of iPhone Software 3.1. Although developers testing yesterday's beta report being able to insert multimedia into messages, those files are still rejected by the U.S. carrier's network.

iPhone Software 3.1 also reportedly improves battery life on the iPhone 3G S, updates the "Carrier" profile for U.S. users to "AT&T 4.2," as opposed to "AT&T 4.0," and provides vibration feedback when home screen icons jiggle to symbolize they're ready to be moved or rearranged.

Other changes include modified iTunes Store icons that rearrange themselves back to default after opening and closing the app, and the previously-reported developer hooks that provide access an iPhone's video recording and editing functions, as well as a handful of new extensions for the OpenGL ES graphics library that developers can use to improve graphics performance in their apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    I figured they would do this. Anyone think this will break the tethering hack everyone's using?
  • Reply 2 of 67
    daffyducdaffyduc Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday began testing the first maintenance update to its new iPhone 3.0 software, which patches a handful of bugs but also introduces new features tied to video editing, Voice Control, and the handsets vibration mode.

More specifically, developers testing the release overnight report that iPhone Software 3.1 will allow you to "Save a Copy" of video recordings that have been trimmed, rather than being forced over-write the original copy of the video, as is the case in iPhone Software 3.0.

Also, it would be super nice if the next update include the ability to edit out a portion of a video recording. Currently, I can trim to my favorite portion of the recording but I would like to delete another portion between what I just trimmed out.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    wildcat_1wildcat_1 Posts: 10member
    I hope they resolve this annoying whining sound. The high pitched one you hear from the speaker. This is getting beyond frustrating especially as it is present in the voice memos and the video recordings
  • Reply 4 of 67
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    How about voice commands for "What time is it?", or "What is the temperature?".
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The time is right in front of you basically every second the screen is on. Only help asking if you were blind...
  • Reply 6 of 67
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

"What is the temperature" would be pretty cool. I wonder if future phones will include a thermometer for a function like this. Of course, if Apple doesn't fix the overheating issue, it would tell you it's 105 in the middle of February ;P
  • Reply 7 of 67
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brainfragment View Post

Only help asking if you were blind...

Yeah, exactly. So why isn't it there?
  • Reply 8 of 67
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaffyDuc View Post

Also, it would be super nice if the next update include the ability to edit out a portion of a video recording. Currently, I can trim to my favorite portion of the recording but I would like to delete another portion between what I just trimmed out.

Good idea - rather than just a "Trim" button, having two buttons - Delete and Keep icons - to perform either action on the selected area...

• Reply 9 of 67
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

The time is right in front of you basically every second the screen is on.

The time is not displayed if your playing a game. It would be handy to be able to get the time without closing the game app first.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Speaking of updates,

this morning I just noticed that MobileMe replaced the purple iDisk icon with the blue-cloud icon that has been advertised with the new iDisk iPhone app.

Perhaps that signals the app is showing up today?

• Reply 11 of 67
    ohjoeyohjoey Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themirage View Post

I figured they would do this. Anyone think this will break the tethering hack everyone's using?

I never hacked to use tethering but now that i updated to 3.1, tethering works over both USB and bluetooth.

So i suppose it dosent matter if the work around is functioning still.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wildcat_1 View Post

I hope they resolve this annoying whining sound. The high pitched one you hear from the speaker. This is getting beyond frustrating especially as it is present in the voice memos and the video recordings

As a workaround switch the phone into silent mode before entering the camera or voice app.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    voice control doesn't work for me. I mus tawlk funnee or sommit

I am a brit for starters, and a west country one at that.

Apple let me know when it understands UK farmer dialect.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The time is not displayed if your playing a game. It would be handy to be able to get the time without closing the game app first.

But you would have to exit the game anyway to activate the voice control app.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The time is right in front of you basically every second the screen is on. Only help asking if you were blind...

It is not in front of you if you have the iPhone in your pocket and using the headset.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Oh man! I really hope they do something about the awful battery life. I can't make it through a full day without recharging.... and this is only after very moderate use.

Anyone else having battery issues with the new 3Gs???
  • Reply 17 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

voice control doesn't work for me. I mus tawlk funnee or sommit

I am a brit for starters, and a west country one at that.

Apple let me know when it understands UK farmer dialect.

My iPhone seems to always confuse the number three with eight when I ask it to call a number. I thought I might have been pronouncing the number three wrong all this time until my wife told me she is having the exact same problem with her iPhone
  • Reply 18 of 67
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShamrockTattoo View Post

Oh man! I really hope they do something about the awful battery life. I can't make it through a full day without recharging.... and this is only after very moderate use.

yeah mines crap
  • Reply 19 of 67
    monomono Posts: 16member
    in the main article "symbolize their ready to" should be:

? symbolize they're ready to

or

? symbolize their readiness to

ta

(and symbolise in British English)
  • Reply 20 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShamrockTattoo View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

yeah mines crap

I thought it was supposed to be 25% better than the last model? How can this be?