Battery Life

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have only had my 3GS 32 bit since Saturday and so far the only problem I am having is the short battery life although I'm not really using it much during the day it still needs charging every day, any tips or suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    needamacneedamac Posts: 26member
    i'm wondering the same thing. that 2x the battery life is crap
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The SPEED is twice as fast!!!! The battery life is approx the same! Both are 300hrs standby time, internet and iPod are up a little bit. The only real improvement in battery life is talk time. Other than that you're not going to see much of a difference over the 3G. Battery life depends on how much you use the phone and for whatever you use it for!

Battery life has always been a bit short in my opinion. However, I don't have a problem charging it every night. Is it really that hard for you? Gosh, I think 2 or 3 times I've gotten the 3G down to 10% battery. So far my 3GS hasn't gone below 35% in a day.

Just plug it in every night! Wouldn't you want a freshly charged battery to start off your day anyways? It's like coffee. Sure, you can save some to last 2 or 3 days, but I'd prefer a fresh cup when I wake up.

iPhone 3GS Battery Life

iPhone 3G Battery Life

• Reply 3 of 7
    I've had my 3Gs for a week now and can't get through a full day without recharging it. Yesterday it sat on my desk for 3 hours (with no use) and dropped from 90% to 60%. I made a 20 min phone call this Am and it dropped from 100% to 95%.. What the heck??

Are there others with the same problem???
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShamrockTattoo View Post

I made a 20 min phone call this Am and it dropped from 100% to 95%.. What the heck?? Are there others with the same problem???

I guess I dont see what you think the problem is? Talking on the phone for 20 minutes and using 5% of the battery isn't really a problem, as far as I can see. Do you use push for email at all? If so, that will eat your battery more than anything. I had my 3G doing push for 2 email accounts (MobileME and a corporate Exchange mailbox) and I had to recharge every day. I changed them both to "Fetch" every 15 minutes, and I was then able to go 48-72 hours on a single charge assuming no extraordinary use of the phone otherwise.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I've had my 3Gs for a week now and can't get through a full day without recharging it. Yesterday it sat on my desk for 3 hours (with no use) and dropped from 90% to 60%. I made a 20 min phone call this Am and it dropped from 100% to 95%.. What the heck??

20min talk time is normal. No problem there.

Dropping so quickly for 3 hours....I'm guessing its email.

I was at the store the other day shopping. While I was shopping I was sending a 45sec video to my brother's 3G. I emailed it using mobileme. It took probably 15min just to send that video even in FULL 3G reception. In the mean time my battery went from 88% to 72%.\

Email can be the killer sometimes.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Welcome to smartphone life. I agree with others in that this is not a 'problem'. Disable GPS when not using it, disable Bluetooth when not using, Fetch email manually or only use Push on 1 or 2 accounts max, dim your screen, don't use the equalizer, encode music at no higher than 128 bit AAC or 256 bit MP3.

These are all things that I do and I can go almost 3 days without charging... but I'll admit I would consider myself a light user. I also have a car charger
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Welcome to smartphone life. I agree with others in that this is not a 'problem'. Disable GPS when not using it, disable Bluetooth when not using, Fetch email manually or only use Push on 1 or 2 accounts max, dim your screen, don't use the equalizer, encode music at no higher than 128 bit AAC or 256 bit MP3.

These are all things that I do and I can go almost 3 days without charging... but I'll admit I would consider myself a light user. I also have a car charger

Good point.

Forgot about the bluetooth. Mine stays on all the time.

Brightness at 60% or so.