Why Mac OSX

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi

I have bought a new iMac after one of my friends suggested that I should switch from Microsoft stuff, because as he said, its glitchy. Anyways, I went to a store and bought a brand new iMac with OSX installed on it and unwrapped it at home and I thought I would start working on it. And god was I wrong, this was the worst piece of junk I've ever put my hands on. It seems like every time I click something the device freezes and I have to restart b/c the retarded people at Apple don't have a reliable task manager to stop faulty/non responsive processes.

I talked to my friend about the issue and he told me that this might be because f a faulty OS and he came to my home and installed a new version of the OS. Still after almost an hour the machine was running again but nothing different. Same glitches same freezing. Not to mention the ugly, childish interface that Apple calls an eye candy ugh...

Anyways if you think Mac is better than Windows and you are planning on switching, DON'T. Microsoft products are way way better than Apple's as I have currently noticed after returning the crappy machine called iMac to the reseller and got my money back. I'm now back to a friendly Microsoft device with a lovely themed Windows Vista SP2 and relaxing after two days of pain with Apple...

Seriously, Apple/Mac Sucks..... don't buy it, its over rated....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    kevinn206kevinn206 Posts: 117member
    Why not just exchange for a different one? It is not normal for you to see all that problems. Maybe it's a hardware fault?

Seriously, exchange it, and then give it another try.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Not even a clever troll atempt

Yawn...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redserpent7 View Post

Hi

Bye !
  • Reply 4 of 27
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I felt the same way when I got my first iMac G3 350 back in 1999. Mac OS 9. It was terrible and I eventually went back to Windows. The problem is getting a Mac and trying to figure out how to do things the Windows way. OS 9 was rather difficult to understand. OS X is very easy to use, but you must look at it as a Mac. Go to the Apple website and explore the tutorials in the Support section. If that doesn't work, grab a copy of Windows and install it via BootCamp. Then you can use Windows while you learn Mac OS X. Hey, if that doesn't work, box up your iMac and send it to me!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I felt the same way when I got my first iMac G3 350 back in 1999. Mac OS 9. It was terrible and I eventually went back to Windows. The problem is getting a Mac and trying to figure out how to do things the Windows way. OS 9 was rather difficult to understand. OS X is very easy to use, but you must look at it as a Mac. Go to the Apple website and explore the tutorials in the Support section. If that doesn't work, grab a copy of Windows and install it via BootCamp. Then you can use Windows while you learn Mac OS X. Hey, if that doesn't work, box up your iMac and send it to me!

I appreciate your sentiments but the guy is a troll and doesn't deserve a serious response.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Like I was being totally serious. <grin> You Mac lovers get your knickers in a twist every time someone goes up against the mighty Apple. They are far from perfect, as I just finished posting elsewhere. You all seem to assume anyone bad mouthing Apple is a troll. Get the kool-aid. Yet you can slam all things that are not Apple. My eyesight issues are not handled well by Mac OS. I run W7 RC via BootCamp and everything looks better. I love Mac OS, but my eyes would be very happy with me if I returned to Windows. My visual issues are very unique, but worthy of making an opinion for the dark side.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Like I was being totally serious. <grin> You Mac lovers get your knickers in a twist every time someone goes up against the mighty Apple. They are far from perfect, as I just finished posting elsewhere. You all seem to assume anyone bad mouthing Apple is a troll. Get the kool-aid. Yet you can slam all things that are not Apple. My eyesight issues are not handled well by Mac OS. I run W7 RC via BootCamp and everything looks better. I love Mac OS, but my eyes would be very happy with me if I returned to Windows. My visual issues are very unique, but worthy of making an opinion for the dark side.

I was trying to offer some friendly, unpartisan advice.. I thought your post was sincere. Apparently it was not.

My knickers are untwisted! When someone joins a forum, makes one single post that sounds like an 11 year olds essay, using words like , junk, retarded and sucks, I think it's pretty safe to interpret their real intentions.

I am sorry to hear( again) about your sight issues. I was under the impression that that was why you used a Mac in the first place? Apparently that's not quite true either.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    My original post was joking/sincere. I found Mac OS 9 difficult to understand and never got it. I am very comfortable with OS X and Alex is the best voice I've ever heard. I purchased my iMac from an Apple Store. I wanted a MacBook, at the time it was just the white one (11/07), but the screen was so small, it would have been unusable. Two steps to my left was a 20 inch iMac and I could <sorta> see the screen. I was hopeful Mac OS would make a difference, but it really hasn't. The guy who sold me my iMac didn't demo much. He was the only one to offer me any help. The others simply ignored me. Apple is not the magic company so many on this forum want to think it is. The OS is way superior to Windows ... duh! I am not looking for sympathy with regard to my vision. Being told by UC Berkeley, there was nothing I could do, pretty much said it all. Thank you for the kind words. I am not on the attack. Since I own a Mac, I should have the right to speak my mind. If I pitched my Mac and purchased a Dell, I would only cry the blues every time Alex didn't speak to me, Garage Band was gone, and all the other things that make Mac OS a good thing. But it is by no means perfect and the only OS.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

You realize this is an Apple/Mac fan site, no? Therefore, don't be surprised to see people defending Apple or their products, especially if the poster does nothing but slam Apple products on an Apple fan site.

Regarding your sight issues and OSX, have you used the Universal Access features to make the screen more readable? I set up a Mac for a friend who is sight-impaired and set the screen to Black on White with enhanced contrast, then set the display resolution to 640 x 480 so everything was larger. Worked very well for her.

Another friend of mine doesn't have much movement in his hands and is in a wheelchair. I used the Keyboard settings in Universal Access (in System Preferences) to set his Mac up and it's now a lot easier for him to use a computer.

So, it can be done. But, perhaps the Windows OS offers more settings for this type of usage?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

You realize this is an Apple/Mac fan site, no? Therefore, don't be surprised to see people defending Apple or their products, especially if the poster does nothing but slam Apple products on an Apple fan site.

Regarding your sight issues and OSX, have you used the Universal Access features to make the screen more readable? I set up a Mac for a friend who is sight-impaired and set the screen to Black on White with enhanced contrast, then set the display resolution to 640 x 480 so everything was larger. Worked very well for her.

Another friend of mine doesn't have much movement in his hands and is in a wheelchair. I used the Keyboard settings in Universal Access (in System Preferences) to set his Mac up and it's now a lot easier for him to use a computer.

So, it can be done. But, perhaps the Windows OS offers more settings for this type of usage?

I've mentioned in a different post, switching resolution makes the text frightfully blurry. It doesn't work for ALL visual deficiencies. I have tried everything Universal Access has to offer and it does not help. I have increased the size of the mouse pointer. Yes, I realize this is an Apple fan site. I am a fan of Mac OS and nothing else. I have an iMac. Apple is far from perfect. Chances are they will never change, in my lifetime, but sometimes it should be okay to have a negative opinion. If I were to return to Windows it would be out of frustration that Apple forces their way down my throat. I could write a mega-post with regard to all the things that Apple does that take away from my desire to have options. And all you Mac fanatics will stand behind Apple, creating some delightful excuse. I would like to have a mini next time. Foolish to buy another iMac with a screen that is so hard to see. Since I'm all thumbs, I'd have to pay Apple a bloody fortune to install extra RAM for me. Nobody should design a computer that is next to impossible to work with. But that is the Apple way and has been since SCSI.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

And all you Mac fanatics will stand behind Apple, creating some delightful excuse.

Why are you accusing people on this thread of being Mac fanatics? No-one is actually defending Apple. Rather attacking yet another bloody time waster.

Personally I am fed up to the back teeth of all the spammers, link baiters and trolls that have infested AI recently.

With their automated postings and simple greed, I can almost... almost... understand the spammers. But who in their right mind joins a forum and fabricates some fairy tale, just to annoy people.

I suggest that you read the OP again and ask yourself what the hell is the point.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Every once in a while, I get a burr under my saddle blanket. If you look up "burr" in the Mac Dictionary, you will see what I'm speaking of. I have a big mouth. Have always been opinionated. Guess I assumed the original post was for real. I'm beginning to notice these stupid posts are the first posts. Anyway, sorry. We are wasting our time with this thread.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

Since I'm all thumbs, I'd have to pay Apple a bloody fortune to install extra RAM for me. Nobody should design a computer that is next to impossible to work with. But that is the Apple way and has been since SCSI.

What? Pay a teenager half to do it for you then. Seems like you're just finding every excuse possible to continue bitching about a computer you hate, and making up a few, too. There's a simple solution: Take it back and get a DELL with Windows Vista!
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

I've mentioned in a different post, switching resolution makes the text frightfully blurry. It doesn't work for ALL visual deficiencies. I have tried everything Universal Access has to offer and it does not help. I have increased the size of the mouse pointer. Yes, I realize this is an Apple fan site. I am a fan of Mac OS and nothing else. I have an iMac. Apple is far from perfect. Chances are they will never change, in my lifetime, but sometimes it should be okay to have a negative opinion. If I were to return to Windows it would be out of frustration that Apple forces their way down my throat. I could write a mega-post with regard to all the things that Apple does that take away from my desire to have options. And all you Mac fanatics will stand behind Apple, creating some delightful excuse. I would like to have a mini next time. Foolish to buy another iMac with a screen that is so hard to see. Since I'm all thumbs, I'd have to pay Apple a bloody fortune to install extra RAM for me. Nobody should design a computer that is next to impossible to work with. But that is the Apple way and has been since SCSI.

Why are you paying Apple a fortune to upgrade your memory? goodness gracious, there are many guides on the internet. Upgrading the iMac is a matter of unscrewing a little hatch at the bottom of the screen and swapping the memory over. Its a less than 5 minute operation. If you're a little paranoid like me, reboot the computer holding down 'D' and run the expanded test to verify the memory is kosher.

Regarding the screen and text quality - in all sincerity, go to an optometrists and get your eyes checked; invest a few hundred in getting a pair of glasses that address your eye sight problems instead of expecting Apple to bend over backwards.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Why are you paying Apple a fortune to upgrade your memory? goodness gracious, there are many guides on the internet. Upgrading the iMac is a matter of unscrewing a little hatch at the bottom of the screen and swapping the memory over. Its a less than 5 minute operation. If you're a little paranoid like me, reboot the computer holding down 'D' and run the expanded test to verify the memory is kosher.

Regarding the screen and text quality - in all sincerity, go to an optometrists and get your eyes checked; invest a few hundred in getting a pair of glasses that address your eye sight problems instead of expecting Apple to bend over backwards.

My reference to memory upgrade is the mini, not the iMac. I have been all the way to UC Berkeley and it isn't as simple as you think. I expect Apple and the entire industry to address a problem that has an impact on lots of people. And I don't appreciate the hostile approach by people who are clueless. I can say good things about Apple. Perhaps you miss them in my other posts. Alex is the best voice in the business, plus he is free. To purchase the equivalent speech and magnification software, along with a Windows PC, would make a Mac Pro look like a bargain. Apple has already bent over backwards with VoiceOver. It is free, and works very well. On the Windows side, magnification costs hundreds of dollars, and hundreds more with speech. Screen readers, the equivalent to VoiceOver costs as much as a 20" iMac alone. Yes, I love what Apple has done. The entire industry needs to do more. This isn't just computer monitors. 720 and 1080 native resolution monitors don't perform as well with 480 data, which is still the majority of TV. Digital TV flickers when too much compression is used. Things need to change, and yes, I seem to be rather alone with this issue.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

What? Pay a teenager half to do it for you then. Seems like you're just finding every excuse possible to continue bitching about a computer you hate, and making up a few, too. There's a simple solution: Take it back and get a DELL with Windows Vista!

I have to compare the mini to something Ford did years ago. They put a V8 engine in the Mustang, back when the Mustang was nothing more than a Pinto on steroids. To change the spark plugs, you have to remove the engine. I am making up nothing. Why must Apple design eye candy? That is where Microsoft gets away with their recent commercials. I don't want a computer that resembles a toaster. Maybe I will get a Dell, but not likely. Their 18.5" all in one has a screen resolution of 1366 x 768. That is as close as I can get in something good for me in LCD monitor. On the other hand, maybe I will save up and get a Mac Pro. I suppose it has enough horsepower to last me 20 years. Then I won't have anything to complain over.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

My reference to memory upgrade is the mini, not the iMac.

This is what you stated:

Quote:

Foolish to buy another iMac with a screen that is so hard to see. Since I'm all thumbs, I'd have to pay Apple a bloody fortune to install extra RAM for me.

You've established a clear link in that sentence between purchasing an iMac and installing memory.

Quote:

I have been all the way to UC Berkeley and it isn't as simple as you think.

Yes, that is very nice - but what does it mean? So you've been to UC Berkeley - and...?

Quote:

I expect Apple and the entire industry to address a problem that has an impact on lots of people.

What problem - the expectations of the end user not having to learn any skills? does one really need to bring up the example of learning how to drive?

Quote:

And I don't appreciate the hostile approach by people who are clueless.

There is only hostility to those who are clueless but beat up other people through intimidation tactics - why did you raise UC Berkeley?

Quote:

I can say good things about Apple. Perhaps you miss them in my other posts. Alex is the best voice in the business, plus he is free. To purchase the equivalent speech and magnification software, along with a Windows PC, would make a Mac Pro look like a bargain. Apple has already bent over backwards with VoiceOver. It is free, and works very well. On the Windows side, magnification costs hundreds of dollars, and hundreds more with speech. Screen readers, the equivalent to VoiceOver costs as much as a 20" iMac alone. Yes, I love what Apple has done. The entire industry needs to do more. This isn't just computer monitors. 720 and 1080 native resolution monitors don't perform as well with 480 data, which is still the majority of TV. Digital TV flickers when too much compression is used. Things need to change, and yes, I seem to be rather alone with this issue.

Yes, things need to change - but things aren't as dire as you claim.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Well, that is part of my visual issues. I say stuff that is different from what is going on in my head. My eyesight has been tested at UC Berkeley. You are the one who mentioned my eyesight at the end of your post. My vision problem, while sort of unique, is something that ANY eye doctor understands these days. Just so I am clear, my eyes are perfect, 20/20, my brain can't process it. That was established at UC Berkeley.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Pure

comedy

gold

• Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Pure

comedy

gold