Get info displayed in "About This Mac"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
All,

I notice that a lot of info about the mac hardware/software/network are displayed in "About This Mac" menu, then "more info". I could save them into a file. My question is that is there a way I could write a code (or script) to save them to a file, instead of manually clicking.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    You could script that functionality in the Apple System Profiler app.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You could script that functionality in the Apple System Profiler app.

I am a newbie in Mac, coming from Unix background, I am thinking that I'd have a "foo" executable. When the "foo" is called, the file will be generated.

What is the best way to do it? Could you provide some details or maybe a url for the docs?

Thanks a lot!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbie1998 View Post

I am a newbie in Mac, coming from Unix background, I am thinking that I'd have a "foo" executable. When the "foo" is called, the file will be generated.

What is the best way to do it? Could you provide some details or maybe a url for the docs?

Thanks a lot!

Programs on the Mac OS can be scripted via AppleScript. This is somewhat analogous to shell scripting but is designed to work with GUIs rather than just the command line. (gross oversimplification)

Automator is a more recent tool by Apple that builds on top of AppleScript (and other technologies). It a rudimentery GUI for scripting apps.

Here's a decent place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleScript

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automator_%28software%29
  • Reply 4 of 5
    This help! Thanks a lot!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You can save the profiler information by using file > save as and then use a plain text or rtf format.

Also, the profiler that opens by using the more info button is a program in /Applications/Utilities/ called System Profiler. If you put this in the Dock, it will come up straight away by clicking it.

A third option is to just drag over the information you want in the profiler, copy and paste into a text file and save it somewhere and make a shortcut to that file.