Refurb MBP 2.4, 15" or New MBP 2.53, 13"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Finally joining the mac world but have the following burning question..

In the UK Apple.com/uk is offering a refurb MBP 2.4Ghz 15" 2GB RAM & 2x GPUs for £1,029. However I can also get through my corporate discount a new MBP 2.53Ghz 13" 4GB RAM for £1,079.

Which one would you recommend?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sailing_badger View Post

In the UK Apple.com/uk is offering a refurb MBP 2.4Ghz 15" 2GB RAM & 2x GPUs for £1,029. However I can also get through my corporate discount a new MBP 2.53Ghz 13" 4GB RAM for £1,079.

The 15" MBP refurb. The Ram difference is negligible as you can upgrade the 15" one for a small amount. The 15" has a much better GPU and two of them, which if Apple get round to using properly then you will get a much better experience. The bigger screen is good as it has a higher resolution and the 13" model resolution is a bit low.

If you need ultimate portability, the 13" one is lighter and smaller but that's about it. You will get better resale on the 15" because 15" is just a more popular screen size.

I'd be quick btw, those refurb MBPs don't last long at that price.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Does the old generation 15" have Firewire 800? And would the faster processor (2.53ghz on the 13" vs 2.4ghz on the 15") make any difference?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Forget my previous question - I just bit the bullet and bought it! So... fingers crossed

Thanks for your help though!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Does the old generation 15" have Firewire 800? And would the faster processor (2.53ghz on the 13" vs 2.4ghz on the 15") make any difference?

Yes the 15" has FW800 and it has ExpressCard if you need faster storage like eSATA.

The processor increase makes pretty much no real-world difference.

It may not come in an original Apple box, just so that doesn't come as a surprise but it's no big deal when you are getting about 25% off the original price of the machine.

They have a full warranty but I'd recommend buying Applecare later on (you can get it up to a year later) - it's best to get it for any Apple laptop as they can be expensive to repair. You can buy Applecare 3rd party a bit cheaper than from Apple like Amazon.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Forget my previous question - I just bit the bullet and bought it! So... fingers crossed

Thanks for your help though!

Holding Thumbs!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    With some naysayera of FireWire doesn't this mean apple slapped on FireWire and caled it pro? Iran it doesn't have faster gpu like the non unibody or faster mbpro machines. So, FireWire makes it pro. Hmm.

Still happy about it. Great machine for audio. Need to see Titles and Motion benchmarks comapred to faster gpu fount in high priced 15 and all 15 non uni body.

Peace.

Quote:

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

With some naysayera of FireWire doesn't this mean apple slapped on FireWire and caled it pro? Iran it doesn't have faster gpu like the non unibody or faster mbpro machines. So, FireWire makes it pro. Hmm.

Might have been the display upgrade too because the old one was pretty bad regarding viewing angles:

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-a...ro-dual-review

Supposedly the display looks much more like the ones on the Air and 15" MBP now.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I ordered the same 15" 2.4 GHz Unibody refurb and it is scheduled to arrive from FedEx on Friday. Paid $1,349 before tax. Quite a deal IMO, and a huge upgrade over my 12" PB G4.