Pesky Psystar to emerge from Chapter 11 with new Mac offering

Comments

• Reply 21 of 227
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Considering the bankruptcy filing didn't thwart Apple's lawsuit, the request to remove the bankruptcy protection so quickly only makes it look like the initial filing was done only to stop Apple.

Also, I was somewhat amused by Prystar's filing as they previously had made these references to not keeping any accounting books, etc. How do they know to file for bankruptcy when they don't even have a financial picture of their company?
  • Reply 22 of 227
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    My ONLY wish for Psystar is a public execution using method of death by hanging, oh God let me pull the lever!
  • Reply 23 of 227
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Apart from the fact that you get no support for the OS or hardware especially when psystar goes tits up. I can just imagine the calls to Apple support

Support rep: May I take your serial number?

Fool that bought the psystar PC: Erm, its a Psystar..

Support rep: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL click.

What I am saying is that Apple is ripping us Mac users in one way or another.

This should be the price at the apple store, not on Psystar's.

And as for the CPU, I am sure that there is a "huge" difference between them. And you know what? even IF what you are saying is true about the difference, Apple should present buyers with the option: what type of CPU do you want? They are boxing us in, taking a premium price - F*CK them.

I have a PC running Win7 right beside me, a Quad 6600, 4GB Ram, 9800GTX 512MB, etc. It cost me a year ago like $1,500± and it runs like a king. Put Mac OS X on this baby and it will fly!

Why shouldn't we have such a deal for a normal Mac? why should we get stuck with either an iMac OR a Mac Pro? WHERE IS THE *NORMAL* MAC?!

So F*ck them!

• Reply 24 of 227
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Just look at this:

Psystar Open 7 Workstation:

Core i7 Xeon 2.66GHz

6 GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB HD

GeForce 9500GT GTX 512MB

DVD-RW

802.11n (PCI-E 1x) (added)

FW 400 + 800 (added)

Mac OS X + iLife + iWork

================

$1,734

Apple Mac Pro, DEFAULT configuration:

Core i7 Xeon 2.66GHz

3 GB DDR3 RAM

640 GB HD

GeForce GT 120 512MB

DVD-RW

Mac OS X + iLife

NO WIRELESS

FW 800 ONLY

Mac OS X + iLife

================

$2,499

$765 more for the same computer!

F*ck Apple, what a sorry ass bunch of thieves. Now, who has the balls to tell me that the there is no apple tax?!

So Apple is a bunch of thieves eh? Well then I guess Psystar is a bunch of thieves as well. Oh and they're idiots too.. Remember you pay for what you get...
  • Reply 25 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I'm intrigued to hear that they've got Leopard running on a Core i7 based PC. Much as I want Apple to prevail in this court case their steadfast refusal to offer any true desktop Mac has me seriously considering a hackintosh.

I built an i7 hackintosh a few months ago. cost about 2k when it was all said and done.

I have an overclocked i7, 12 gig of ram, 2 harddrives, a dual monitor video card, and a legit copy of leopard for less than the macpro.

While I had some troubles initially with the process, 10.5.7 added core i7 compatibility, and it's been smooth sailing since. no crashes, everything works native and it's super fast.

anyone thinking about a macpro, with a little bit of patience can do it... step by step instructions are out there and it's easier then you might think.
  • Reply 25 of 227
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    I am an Apple fan, and I recommend them to anyone. I currently have an iPod touch only from Apple. The PCs from them are too expensive. I used to have a 20" iMac, bought it used. I'll probably buy one refurbished at some point to run Logic.

But, they are too expensive. I wish they were cheaper. I'd like the result of this Psystar conflict to be cheaper Apples. I actually like Psystar. They're gutsy, and they seem to make interesting points in regards to what one can do with a purchased version of MacOS X.

More power to them!
  • Reply 27 of 227
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Just look at this:

Psystar Open 7 Workstation:

Core i7 Xeon 2.66GHz

6 GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB HD

[blah blah blah lol]

NO WIRELESS

FW 800 ONLY

Mac OS X + iLife

================

$2,499

F*ck Apple, what a sorry ass bunch of thieves. Now, who has the balls to tell me that the there is no apple tax?!

dude, you're opening up pandora's box here with this comment. People will argue with you up and down even if you present the most practical argument.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’m not saying that isn’t a good deal to suit one’s needs, but you really should look up the word “same” in a dictionary.

Price of CPUs from the Intel price sheet...
    Mac Pro :: X5550 (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.66 GHz (95W) 6.40 GT/sec Intel® QPI 45nm) $958

Open(7) :: W3520 (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.66 GHz (130W) 4.80 GT/sec Intel® QPI 45nm) $284

Difference in just the processor costs in batches of 1000 is… $714

Which one can be overclocked with bios settings? Does apple let you do that? I'm not 100% certain the motherboard psystar chose lets you, but I'd definitely bet on Psystar in that...

You're comparing it by looks? Oh good grief, you MUST be an apple fanboy! (just kidding )

Quote:

Apart from the fact that you get no support for the OS or hardware especially when psystar goes tits up. I can just imagine the calls to Apple support

Support rep: May I take your serial number?

Fool that bought the psystar PC: Erm, its a Psystar..

Support rep: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL click.

Assuming there's anything wrong with them.

Maybe it's just me (because I'm such a geek) but customer support has very little to no influence in purchasing decisions I make. I wonder if a mac genius thinks the same way as a pc genius...
  • Reply 28 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Psystar is well beyond the there third plan at this point.

I think they're on plan L here, ride this gig down in a blaze of glory!
  • Reply 29 of 227
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

And as for the CPU, I am sure that there is a "huge" difference between them. And you know what? even IF what you are saying is true about the difference, Apple should present buyers with the option: what type of CPU do you want? They are boxing us in, taking a premium price - F*CK them.

I have a PC running Win7 right beside me, a Quad 6600, 4GB Ram, 9800GTX 512MB, etc. It cost me a year ago like $1,500± and it runs like a king. Put Mac OS X on this baby and it will fly!

Why shouldn't we have such a deal for a normal Mac? why should we get stuck with either an iMac OR a Mac Pro? WHERE IS THE *NORMAL* MAC?!

So F*ck them!

Price of CPUs from the Intel price sheet...
    Mac Pro :: X5550 (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.66 GHz (95W) 6.40 GT/sec Intel® QPI 45nm) $958

Open(7) :: W3520 (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.66 GHz (130W) 4.80 GT/sec Intel® QPI 45nm) $284

Difference in just the processor costs in batches of 1000 is… $714

Your idea that a company should be required to make a machine that suits exactly your needs is absolutely ridiculous! Companies make products to suit the customers they want. If you don’t fit into that grouping then tough noogies. That is how a capitalist society works. I certainly don’t fit into the group that can afford a Buggati Veyron* but don’t complain because they don’t make a cheaper model to suit my specific less-than-supercar interests.

* Watched this week’s Top Gear today.
  • Reply 30 of 227
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

and when you need tech support from Psystar? how much is that going to cost you in time and money
  • Reply 31 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

and when you need tech support from Psystar? how much is that going to cost you in time and money

Originally, if you needed an OS reinstall or updates, they had you mail the HDD with all your personal information back to them? at your expense!
  • Reply 32 of 227
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

So F*ck them!

Maybe you should go off and play bonnie with your windows 7 system then?

I am sure Apple are managing fine without your business. Oh, wait. Yes they are. The only PC company to show growth in a time of recession.

If I had spent millions on an OS and hardware design (remember Apple use NO OFF THE SHELF MOTHERBOARDS) and some little prick company came along and started to release clones of my kit I would use a small amount of the billions in the bank to give them a pair of concrete boots.
  • Reply 33 of 227
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

dude, you're opening up pandora's box here with this comment. People will argue with you up and down even if you present the most practical argument.

Which one can be overclocked with bios settings? Does apple let you do that? I'm not 100% certain the motherboard psystar chose lets you, but I'd definitely bet on Psystar in that...

You're comparing it by looks? Oh good grief, you MUST be an apple fanboy! (just kidding )

Assuming there's anything wrong with them.

Maybe it's just me (because I'm such a geek) but customer support has very little to no influence in purchasing decisions I make. I wonder if a mac genius thinks the same way as a pc genius...

Bro, I am an avid fan of Mac OS X. I want to keep using it. But Apple's hardware is a different story.

I *HATE* the iMac. I love towers, but the Mac Pro price is ridicules.

They lowered the price on the MB Air $700!!! Just like that! in a sec! WTF?! This means people that bought a MB Air just a day before paid a $700 premium! THIEVES!

GIVE ME A NORMAL MAC.

Core i7 920 (costs $280)

Supporting up to 16G of normal DDR3 RAM

BAM the price goes down to a normal scale.

GIMME YOUR BEST SHOT FELLOW MAC USERS: EXPLAIN TO ME WTF IS THEIR PROBLEM WITH GIVING US MAC USERS A SYSTEM LIKE THAT?!

• Reply 34 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

I built an i7 hackintosh a few months ago. cost about 2k when it was all said and done.

I have an overclocked i7, 12 gig of ram, 2 harddrives, a dual monitor video card, and a legit copy of leopard for less than the macpro.

While I had some troubles initially with the process, 10.5.7 added core i7 compatibility, and it's been smooth sailing since. no crashes, everything works native and it's super fast.

anyone thinking about a macpro, with a little bit of patience can do it... step by step instructions are out there and it's easier then you might think.

Anyone?

Hardly. As documented by many sites it takes a fair bit of tweaking to get it all working and it is NEVER bug free.
  • Reply 35 of 227
    Quote:

Bro, I am an avid fan of Mac OS X. I want to keep using it. But Apple's hardware is a different story.

They lowered the price on the MB Air $700!!! Just like that! in a sec! WTF?! This means people that bought a MB Air just a day before paid a $700 premium! THIEVES!

GIVE ME A NORMAL MAC.

Core i7 920 (costs $280)

GIMME YOUR BEST SHOT FELLOW MAC USERS: EXPLAIN TO ME WTF IS THEIR PROBLEM WITH GIVING US MAC USERS A SYSTEM LIKE THAT?!

You're right man. A normal mac would sell and I doubt anyone would see much of a performance different between the two processors mentioned earlier.

I remember a friend in college bought an Intel core 2 extreme while I just bought an e6600. After overclocking mine to 3.4, and him being the moron at computers that he was and leaving it at stock speed, not only did mine run circles around his, it did it at a quarter of the cost lol.

Oh well. I think I shouldn't check this thread. There's going to be idiotic statements coming from everywhere.
  • Reply 36 of 227
    Quote:

GIVE ME A NORMAL MAC.

Core i7 920 (costs $280)

Why should they? Because you say so? Get over yourself. Apple are not about to become a beige box shifter. As I stated before Apple are the only PC company showing growth whilst other firms are slipping.
  • Reply 37 of 227
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    These Pystar guys should be hauled to jail. Why does everyone want to join on the bandwagon of Apple? Why don't these bastards come up with their own product? Microsoft, Sony, Dell, Palm, Samsung, LG, Sandisk, Nokia, RIM, etc, etc, etc. Copycats and don't want to spend money to research their own products.

Apple spends hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a product, and these assholes want to make money out of it. What happen to Copyright protection? Somebody should just go ahead and light their illegal factory.

Are you sure these guys are not cocaine dealers trying to wash their drug cash? I will not be surprised, after all they are in Florida.

And for all you people who complain about Apple's prices, all I can say is ; Go get your whining ass a damn PC clone, or a Zune, or a Motorola".

You don't want to pay, don't buy. You do not build a fake Lexus with a Lexus engine, because you think Lexus is too expensive. Mac OS X is the Apple Engine. You can put it a machine not produced by Apple and sell it for a profit, without Apple's permission. It is called; "Theft of Intellectual Property". Without MAC OS X, there is no Apple Inc. This is the Age of Software, and Apple is in the driver's seat. Anyone who wants a ride, should pay full price.

I say again; " Hang these criminals!"
  • Reply 38 of 227
    Quote:

Why should they? Because you say so? Get over yourself. Apple are not about to become a beige box shifter. As I stated before Apple are the only PC company showing growth whilst other firms are slipping.

What did Apple say or do to make you the way you are today? Rather than expect more, you accept less.

Amazing really.
  • Reply 39 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Without MAC OS X, there is no Apple Inc.

Without unix, there's no osx
  • Reply 40 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What did Apple say or do to make you the way you are today? Rather than expect more, you accept less.

Amazing really.

It?s not realistic to expect a company to make a product that fits everyone?s needs all the time. Irnchriz is being realistic. If Apple doesn?t make the product he wants within the price range he is willing to pay then he won?t be an Apple customer. It?s that simple.