iPhone 3GS marked AT&T's "best-ever sales day"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to an AT&T company memo, the launch of the iPhone 3GS wasn't just a banner sales day for the carrier this year but broke records for any single day of retail sales in the company's history -- including for already stellar iPhone sales.

The leaked e-mail characterizes "iLaunch Day 2009," its nickname for the June 19th iPhone 3GS release date, as the "best-ever sales day" and just second in terms of actual floor traffic. Many of its other sales-related records were also shattered at the same time, ranging from the number of upgrade eligibility checks made in a day to the sheer volume of orders taken through AT&T's website.

The notice obtained by multiple anonymous MacDailyNews readers also illustrates just how quickly the seemingly more modest iPhone update outpaced the already large-scale iPhone 3G launch last year. 3GS sales not only exceeded the first days after both Thanksgiving and Christmas, either of which have always been popular shopping days, but were so brisk as to overtake the iPhone 3G's launch day count by just noon in Texas time.

Interest in the stores was so high that AT&T stores were considered at "peak" activity for 11 hours, or nearly half a day, despite the company accepting pre-orders online for day in advance.

As could be expected, the cellular company doesn't provide a concrete sales number in the memo and, when contacted by AppleInsider for confirmation, only repeats its mantra that it accepted hundreds of thousands of pre-orders in the run-up to the iPhone 3GS going on sale less than two weeks ago.

"We have no further comment beyond that," a company spokesman says.

Apple has been slightly more open on the subject and previously said it sold one million iPhone 3GS devices over the course of its launch weekend through all of its outlets. Although the same number as for last year, the California-based electronics firm reached this figure in 2009 with only eight countries onboard for the first day, or less than half the 21 that were ready on July 11th, 2008. The similar numbers, combined with a smaller-scale launch, indirectly confirm that US launch sales, including through AT&T, have spiked that much higher in 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    doonkindoonkin Posts: 5member
    So gimme MMS like the rest of the planet...you wallet pirates
  • Reply 2 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    second !!!
  • Reply 3 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doonkin View Post

.you wallet pirates

word!
  • Reply 4 of 54
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Interesting comment given that the cost of sending a picture via MMS is orders of magnitude greater than sending a higher quality picture via email, I take it you like having your wallet plundered in which case I can refer you to a Nigerian banker.

Quote:

• Reply 5 of 54
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Also interesting in light of the exploit that Apple will address prior to release of MMS functionality. Would you rather Apple pushes the feature into the marketplace prior to allowing time to vet such vulnerabilities? Pirates would.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    AT&T should just shut up about the iPhone and just go improve their cell systems.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Interesting comment given that the cost of sending a picture via MMS is orders of magnitude greater than sending a higher quality picture via email, I take it you like having your wallet plundered in which case I can refer you to a Nigerian banker.

It?s surprising he didn?t see the paradox of his statement. It?s not surprising that Teckstud agreed with him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

AT&T should just shut up about the iPhone and just go improve their cell systems.

I do with they would limit the number of number of new subs until their network is up to snuff. So far, I have noticed no massive slowdown in my data speeds since the 3GS launched, save for one incident that no carrier could be expected to handle and even then it was a minor hiccup.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

I wish the rest of the planet would just get cheap e-mail on their damn phones. MMS sucks in comparison to e-mail. And at $30 data rate, compared to Verizon's $20 e-mail only fees, I went to At$T on the 3G launch day. I ain't looking back.

Edit: You know what really bothers me though, is that Apple cheezed on the video for the 3G. I know it was in their best interest so they could have a sales extravaganza like this, but we all know that video is possible on the 3G.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I wish the rest of the planet would just get cheap e-mail on their damn phones. MMS sucks in comparison to e-mail. And at $30 data rate, compared to Verizon's $20 e-mail only fees, I went to At$T on the 3G launch day. I ain't looking back.

I believe that what they call their Voice & Email plan also includes web browsing and some other data options, though I’m not seeing the $20 price you mention, only the $30 for their email plan with the afore mentioned web browsing.

From that I can see the same 450 minutes with the email (data) plan costs you $79. $10 more than AT&T. On top of that, I don’t think you get the same data options as they specifically state that you can’t stream audio, video and whole bunch of other unreasonable things. Hopefully a knowledgeable Verizon user can clear up any fallacies I may have inadvertently posted.

Quote:

The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

But that is understandable from Verizon’s PoV. When you are top dog you don’t have to cut your profit margins in order to attract customers.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Edit: You know what really bothers me though, is that Apple cheezed on the video for the 3G. I know it was in their best interest so they could have a sales extravaganza like this, but we all know that video is possible on the 3G.

Is this true!? Can you confirm?

Wow, if so, I am pretty cheezed-off too.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

How does MMS suck on comparison to email? There is no additional server to go through. It's universal - everybody has a phone number not necessarily an email account.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Any digital camera can record video - even if its crappy choppy video. It's always been available - just not in Apple software for the prior phones.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I believe that what they call their Voice & Email plan also includes web browsing and some other data options, though I’m not seeing the $20 price you mention, only the $30 for their email plan with the afore mentioned web browsing.

From that I can see the same 450 minutes with the email (data) plan costs you $79. $10 more than AT&T. On top of that, I don’t think you get the same data options as they specifically state that you can’t stream audio, video and whole bunch of other unreasonable things. Hopefully a knowledgeable Verizon user can clear up any fallacies I may have inadvertently posted.

But that is understandable from Verizon’s PoV. When you are top dog you don’t have to cut your profit margins in order to attract customers.

My wife has Verizon, Solipsism, here ya go:

\t

Monthly access charget$59.99

Monthly allowance minutes: \t450 general

Per minute rate after allowance: \t$0.45 peak , $0.45 off-peak

$0.20 per Text Message sent/received (unless you subscribe to a messaging bundle)

Message Waiting Indicator

3-Way Calling

Call Waiting

M2M NATIONAL UNLIMITED

\t

Streamlined Billing

No Answer/Transfer

Call Delivery

Call Forward - No Answer

UNL TEXT MESSAGING

Additional Features Add/Remove Features

How to Use Features

TEC INSURANCE

Call Forwarding

UNL NIGHT & WEEKEND MIN

GENERAL IP ADDRESS

NATIONALACCESS ROAM-MB

\t

Caller ID

NEW EVERY TWO TIERED

UNL PICTURE/VIDEO MSG

PAY AS YOU USE MEGABYTE DATA

Visual Voice Mail

She pays $81 a month for that (total bill including every fee etc.) No internet access at all. Trust me, Verizon costs more.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I agree completely. I did not even get a texting package with my 3G S and I called AT&T to have the service fully disabled. I'm paying for internet, so I'm not wasting my money on stupid texts. If you can't answer your phone or email, you're worthless to me anyway
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How does MMS suck on comparison to email? There is no additional server to go through. It's universal - everybody has a phone number not necessarily an email account.

Well, two things off the top of my head:

1. Limited message size.

2. I don't have MMS, so I have to log into AT&T's website to get them.

The image/message size limits are enough for me.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s surprising he didn?t see the paradox of his statement. It?s not surprising that Teckstud agreed with him.

No no! Teckstud is buying an iPhone! I swear! Or at least he's really considering it. STRONGLY considering it. Does anyone have any last warnings before he does? He's 99.9% sure he's going to buy one, but JUST in case, if anyone can tell him ANYTHING bad about the iPhone he would LOVE to hear it. Once he's heard ALL of the complaints, then he'll go right out and buy one. He promises.

He told me so!

• Reply 17 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh yes! Just ask anyone who jailbroke their phone! You could get like 5 FPS easy! I was AWESOME!
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Oh yes! Just ask anyone who jailbroke their phone! You could get like 5 FPS easy! I was AWESOME!

It's terribly hard for me to be convinced that a RAZR could do video, and yet an iPhone 3G cannot. I just don't see it, even through that thick line of crap you driveled all over the screen there.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

You can see jailbroken original and 3G iPhones on YouTube showing off video recording. It’s quite poor in every regard. Apple had to wait for better HW and to rewrite some QuickTime frameworks (QuicktimeX) to make it what it is today. The original and 3G iPhones had plenty of HW capabilities for video recording if they weren’t running OS X, but remember that iPhone OS X is shrunken version of Mac OS X which was designed for PC usage on much more powerful HW, not a truly mobile OS that designed with much slower HW in mind. OS X on the iPhone was really at its limit with that HW, which is part of the reason why even going between screens wasn’t as smooth as it should be, especially with the iPod running. This really is the first iPhone that could feasible video recording so you weren’t duped despite what some of the less knowledgeable posters here will tell you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think I got about 12fps out of it last time I tried it but I believe it meant up-clocking (don’t want to say overclocking since it’s already underclocked) the ARM11.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

It's terribly hard for me to be convinced that a RAZR could do video, and yet an iPhone 3G cannot. I just don't see it, even through that thick line of crap you driveled all over the screen there.

Before you really let the jackassery get out of hand, this is the site for the Cycorder app for jailbroken iPhones. Note the codec used, the fps and resolution. Does tweaking the HW up when they are already trying to save power and the quality from this app really sound like something Apple would put out just because it’s technically feasible. Guess what, if we loaded WinCE or Symbian we could get 30fps at a higher bitrate. Also note the Palm Pre, with equivalent 3GS HW still can’t do video recording, yet older Palm phones could. How about them Apples?