New iPod does not have new 3.0 software

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

I recently bought a Macbook 13 inch and was thus eligible for an IPod. The iPod, though, did not come with the New 3.0 software. Beware, would-be buyers. U'll have to pay $ 10 dollars to get it, even though the pod SHOULD already have it.

What I did was to call Apple and inform them of their undersight/trick, and they then said they would give me (I'm waiting to see if it happens) a $ 20 dollar discount towards my Macbook.

So, u should call to get that $ 20 bucks: $10 for the software, and $10 for the tax they made u pay on the supposedly "Free" iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wordsaregreat View Post

I recently bought a Macbook 13 inch and was thus eligible for an IPod. The iPod, though, did not come with the New 3.0 software. Beware, would-be buyers. U'll have to pay $ 10 dollars to get it, even though the pod SHOULD already have it.

What I did was to call Apple and inform them of their undersight/trick, and they then said they would give me (I'm waiting to see if it happens) a $ 20 dollar discount towards my Macbook.

So, u should call to get that $ 20 bucks: $10 for the software, and $10 for the tax they made u pay on the supposedly "Free" iPod touch.

It is very clear on the iPod website that the 3.0 software is extra. Go here: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ and scroll down the left side.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    You got the student discount plus a free iPod touch and still complaining about $10 for the iPhone OS 3.0 update?

Do you think you are entitled to it or something?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

You got the student discount plus a free iPod touch and still complaining about $10 for the iPhone OS 3.0 update?

Do you think you are entitled to it or something?

IN all fairness... if I ordered an iPod FROM APPLE (Best Buy et al would have older units to get rid of)... and ordered it AFTER the release of 3.0, I would expect that iPod to ship with 3.0.

Sure seems reasonable to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

IN all fairness... if I ordered an iPod FROM APPLE (Best Buy et al would have older units to get rid of)... and ordered it AFTER the release of 3.0, I would expect that iPod to ship with 3.0.

Sure seems reasonable to me.

That does seem pretty reasonable to me. Much like Macs are replaced instantly when a new model comes out, iPod Touches with 2.0 should be instantly replaced, with the 2.0 versions going into the clearance section.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This isn't entirely true. If you buy a Mac from a third party retailer that was loaded with an older OS, you will not automatically receive the newer OS.

Apple said that the iPod Touch in the retail chain would not be updated to 3.0. On top of all of this the original poster got it for free. The update is only $10.

As an option you could sell your current iPod Touch, and use the money to buy the new iPod Touch in September.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

That does seem pretty reasonable to me. Much like Macs are replaced instantly when a new model comes out, iPod Touches with 2.0 should be instantly replaced, with the 2.0 versions going into the clearance section.