First iPhone 3GS jailbreaking tool available for download

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
George Hotz, the 19-year old wiz kid who made headlines two years ago for being the first to successfully unlock Apple's original iPhone all by himself, is again drawing the spotlight for creating and releasing the first-ever jailbreaking tool for the new iPhone 3GS.

Dubbed "purplera1n," the software is currently in beta and available for Windows-only, but Hotz said a Mac version is next on his list. Those interested in using the tool should first backup their iPhone 3GS running iPhone Software 3.0 and make sure they have iTunes 8.2 installed.

Hotz boasts that the binary size of purplera1n is smaller than a C++ hello world application -- essentially the most basic piece of software that can be written for modern day computer systems, which simply spits out the phrase "hello world" and terminates.

"No 20MB thing that needs to be torrented," he wrote in a blog post. "And no IPSW to download. This is how jailbreak should be!"

After downloading purplera1n, jailbreaking takes just a few simple steps. "Connect your iPhone normally. Click 'make it ra1n'. Wait. On bootup, run Freeze, the purplera1n installer app. Hopefully you'll figure out what to do from there," Hotz wrote.

The Glen Rock, New Jersey native said he doesn't normally make tools for release to the general public, and prefers to wait for the unofficial iPhone dev team to tackle such matters. "But guys, whats up with waiting until [iPhone Software] 3.1?," he joshed. "That isn't how the game is played. We release, Apple fixes, we find new holes."

"It isn't worth waiting because you might have the 'last' hole in the iPhone," he added in a challenge to fellow hackers before turning his attention to the iPhone maker itself. "What last hole...this isn't golf. I'll find a new one next week. Also your purplera1nyday files ensure that you can always get back to a jailbroken state, so if you have it it's just a matter of tools."

For those unaware, jailbreaking is a process that allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to run unofficial apps on their devices that aren't available, or do not meet the strict requirements, of Apple's App Store. Once jailbroken, users can download these applications and install them using unofficial installers such as Cydia and Icy.

Jailbreaking, however, is distinct from unlocking, which is the process by which a mobile device is made compatible with wireless networks for which it has not been licensed use.

Hotz gained notoriety back in 2007 when he became the first to unlock the original iPhone all by himself, using both software and hardware modifications. Just 17 years old at the time, he attempted to sell the unlocked phone on eBay but ended the auction after fake bids apparently sent the price north of $100 million.

He later traded the unlocked phone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z" and three locked iPhones.

Disclaimer: Jailbreaking and unlocking tools for iPhones are unsanctioned hacks which Apple frowns upon and combats regularly with new iPhone Software updates. As such, there is always the risk they could damage your handset's software. AppleInsider reports on these tools for the sake of the interested public and readers should use common sense before applying any of them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Just 17 years old at the time, he attempted to sell the unlocked phone on eBay but ended the auction after fake bids apparently sent the price north of $100 million

The kid thought they were fake, the governments doing the bidding didn't think so.

<start tinfoil hat mode>

I know, from certain Electronic Warfare training, that the US government takes great pains to purchase and exploit every piece of hardware available. If it uses electricity, it has a electronic signature and they record that so they can monitor/watch it from space.

Real deal. iPhones are a wealth of intelligence, trojan horse of sorts for personal info. Even if the bad guys know better not to use them, it gives Uncle Sam the ability to cross everyone else off the list. Got a voice encrypted phone? You must have something to hide.

Surely Uncle Sam already had the iPhone cracked before junior discovered it, Apple having to supply them with one before release, it was perhaps other governments who were doing the bidding.

Kid should have taken them up on their offer.

</tinfoil hat mode>
  • Reply 2 of 50
    So... Appleinsider is now an official endorser of jailbreaking iPhones? This seems like an ad or a tribute, not an informational article. Not even a mention of any possible downsides, just "this guy is soooo cool and hip and awesome for jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones and talking trash!"

I'm not usually that critical of this site, but this seems pretty irresponsible. I guess this is just a propaganda site now, anyway. I do like the rumors, but its getting embarrassing to hang out at this site. \
  • Reply 3 of 50
    adisor19adisor19 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

So... Appleinsider is now an official endorser of jailbreaking iPhones? This seems like an ad or a tribute, not an informational article. Not even a mention of any possible downsides, just "this guy is soooo cool and hip and awesome for jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones and talking trash!"

I'm not usually that critical of this site, but this seems pretty irresponsible. I guess this is just a propaganda site now, anyway. I do like the rumors, but its getting embarrassing to hang out at this site. \

Oh RLy ?! And what downsides might those be ?

Adi
  • Reply 4 of 50
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

What? This is legitimate news, and I'd be more likely to criticise AI for not reporting other jailbreaks like ultrasn0w. It's not illegal to jailbreak, but that's lost on dumb people who are afraid even to question the real propaganda coming from corporates like Apple and who accept the mindless restrictions they place on your hardware for their own profit.

You're a tool of the corporate machine, or maybe just a tool.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The kid thought they were fake, the governments doing the bidding didn't think so.

<start tinfoil hat mode>

I know, from certain Electronic Warfare training, that the US government takes great pains to purchase and exploit every piece of hardware available. If it uses electricity, it has a electronic signature and they record that so they can monitor/watch it from space.

Real deal. iPhones are a wealth of intelligence, trojan horse of sorts for personal info. Even if the bad guys know better not to use them, it gives Uncle Sam the ability to cross everyone else off the list. Got a voice encrypted phone? You must have something to hide.

Surely Uncle Sam already had the iPhone cracked before junior discovered it, Apple having to supply them with one before release, it was perhaps other governments who were doing the bidding.

Kid should have taken them up on their offer.

</tinfoil hat mode>

You're right. I need to find out how to encrypt my thoughts, because US agencies are scanning it using satellites and changing information they don't like. For instance, I lost my keys this morning after having dreams about men in dark suits bent over keyboards and screens. There can be only one explanation: the CIA is controlling my thoughts.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Adi

Completely borking your iPhone and then telling Apple about how you did it.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Adi

Exactly and....any 19 yo kid/programmer who even knows what the reference to Purple Rain is has got to be a cool kid.

Big ups kid.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Guys....of course this is legitimate news....! Those of us who own Apple shares have to give a damn about this news item and how it affects the ease with which the iPhone-iPod market can use apps. Besides this kid should be given the keys to the Apple R & D department and be done with it ! If George Hotz is not on Steve Jobs' luncheon list than Cuoertino is asleep or just plain arrogant. George Hotz is the poster child for the depth of innovation that is contained in the US and has to be pounced upon to keep the US as future innovators.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    (( By the way - in the interests of transparency: I have no connection to or relation with George Hotz ))
  • Reply 10 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    PurpleRa1n

He's satirizing the name ultrasn0w, with use of a digit as the second to last character. I get it!
  • Reply 11 of 50
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 776member
    Quote:

The kid certainly has some programming chops.

This is his résumé.

He's looking for a high 6 or 7 figure salary job.

Why waste 4 years boozing it up in college when you can start raking it in NOW?

AI is a pretty solid site. If you want embarrassing, check out MacDailyNews.com. The right-wing loonies crawl out of the virtual woodwork and use nearly every article to bash Obama and spread fear of some fantasy left-wing oppression just over the horizon. It might be funny if it weren't so perversely ignorant and pathetic.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

The kid certainly has some programming chops.

This is his résumé.

He's looking for a high 6 or 7 figure salary job.

Why waste 4 years boozing it up in college when you can start raking it in NOW?

AI is a pretty solid site. If you want embarrassing, check out MacDailyNews.com. The right-wing loonies crawl out of the virtual woodwork and use nearly every article to bash Obama and spread fear of some fantasy left-wing oppression just over the horizon. It might be funny if it weren't so perversely ignorant and pathetic.

If you've been coding/hacking since you were 10, this is how it goes.

And MDN is a lot of fun when it comes to their MS/PC bashing. It does draw an interesting crowd, though.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Quote:

The right-wing loonies crawl out of the virtual woodwork and use nearly every article to bash Obama and spread fear of some fantasy left-wing oppression just over the horizon. It might be funny if it weren't so perversely ignorant and pathetic.

I take it you think 911 was carried out by brown men with beards.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Thanks, now I know where to go to get real news.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    This kid is obviously a genius (IQ-wise), for being able to do what he does, but Jeez ... what a complete idiot he is at the same time.

He seems to have no idea at all about what he's doing, what the consequences are, what Apple is doing etc. It's the classic example of an intellectual giant who has absolutely no clue about the social side of things or life in general.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r u serious View Post

Thanks, now I know where to go to get real news.

2 / nil LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

He seems to have no idea at all about what he's doing, what the consequences are, what Apple is doing etc. It's the classic example of an intellectual giant who has absolutely no clue about the social side of things or life in general.

Yes because creating self-powered retail shipping boxes with digital consumer whore media advertising is real life.

• Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This kid is obviously a genius (IQ-wise), for being able to do what he does, but Jeez ... what a complete idiot he is at the same time.

He's a kid who's high on his sense of power.

No doubt he's talented. And potentially quite dangerous, in part to himself.

Good for him, though, to have this level of skill. It's a whole other story when it comes to how and to what purposes he will use it.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

... It's not illegal to jailbreak, ....

It's not illegal, but it is immoral in that you are lying, breaking contracts, etc.

I know no one really gives a sh*t nowadays about that stuff, but it would be nice once in a while if it was mentioned that this is a grey area in terms of right and wrong and not just approach the subject from a functional point of view.

For example, it's not illegal to kill insects. It's also not illegal to publish an article describing in great detail the plans for some kind of insect vivisection/torture device. But to not mention that this might be considered morally bankrupt at least in some circles, and then further to hide behind the fact that you are just publishing a functional description of a thing, is a bit of a cheat IMO.

I find it humorous how Americans are all so Christian, but morality seems to never be mentioned whereas an atheist like me has to bring it up all the time.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

... Yes because creating self-powered retail shipping boxes with digital consumer whore media advertising is real life. ...

Not a sentence.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    adisor19adisor19 Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Completely borking your iPhone and then telling Apple about how you did it.

What are you smoking ? You can unbrick your iPhone at ANY TIME by using DFU mode and restoring it with 3.0 firmware. And if you are actually DUMB enough to brick it and bring it to Apple in that state, i hope the Apple genius will tell you in your face the warranty is off.

Adi