Apple revamps MobileMe iDisk features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yahoo has Push email for the iPhone which I believe is free, though last time I tried it with the original iPhone it was far from reliable. There are plenty of services that will push your email for free, I think many use Exchange so you get the sync support of contacts and calendars, too. If the free ones come with caveats then you can get simply that push feature for small price that is well under the $69 average price for MM.

I personally use Gmail, but I like the Push so my Gmail forwards all my mail to MM, which usually gets sent to my iPhone before my Mac gets it from Gmail checking every minute. For sending back from my iPhone I have set up Gmail as my SMTPs so my MM is invisible to everyone.

My brother in law rides the same crazy train as you, S . I personally use Google for the search, but steer well clear of them for personal email. I like the .mac email, and didn't ever bother to forward this and that from other mail addresses. The sync feature of contacts, as I add them from the road on my iPhone is great. The push is great. iDisk, not so much. Apple is improving the service still, so I hope the best is yet to come. I will certainly be supporting it for another year when mine renews in January.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

My brother in law rides the same crazy train as you, S . I personally use Google for the search, but steer well clear of them for personal email. I like the .mac email, and didn't ever bother to forward this and that from other mail addresses. The sync feature of contacts, as I add them from the road on my iPhone is great. The push is great. iDisk, not so much. Apple is improving the service still, so I hope the best is yet to come. I will certainly be supporting it for another year when mine renews in January.

I’d rather change my phone number or my girlfriend before I change my email address, so I won’t make a paid-for email service my primary account.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

I?d rather change my phone number or my girlfriend before I change my email address, so I won?t make a paid-for email service my primary account.

I agree with you on that one. I have a msn email address that I still use that I have had for around twelve years now. I keep it so that people I have not talked to in a long time can still easily reach me. I don't mind changing girlfriends once in a while but boy does my wife get pissed when she finds out.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Edit: If they at least came out with an iDisk app for the iPhone and had an area to hold the files, then others could write word processors.

QuickOffice and DataViz both offer word processors on the iPhone. Neither is perfect but both are a good start and QO does actually access files that you have copied over to your iDisk and allow you to edit them.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Hell, push email to my iPhone is worth the $100. I pay that for 3 fully hosted domains, though. .Mac was not worth the money, but I had it anyway (been on it since '04.) Now that the iPhone is out, MobileMe syncs everything, and it's push. Those two features are IMO, necessary, and I just think back to what I was paying for prior to MobileMe. .Mac sucked, MobileMe ==roxx0rz.

Edit: What I meant to say about the domains is that for $100 a year I get good disk storage and ample bandwidth, FTP, domains of my choosing, etc., etc. The features of a webhost for $100 are far, far superior to the options you get with iDisk and MobileMe. That said, push email has no substitute and $100 a year is worth every penny.

can i host www.example.com website on mobileme service or will apple dictate what domain i can use ? i already have web hosting service but i'd change if apple alowwed me to use my old domain.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

can i host www.example.com website on mobileme service or will apple dictate what domain i can use ? i already have web hosting service but i'd change if apple alowwed me to use my old domain.

It doesn?t appear that Apple actually hosts the domain, but there are other issues with using iWeb to publish or web.me.com/<name> as a web address. Primarily, the lack the of server-side code. I don?t require much, but PHP is one of the things I would need and you just can?t do it.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    It would be great if apple actually supported fully functional web hosting, but I always thought that would be a dream. PHP is essential but so is SQL. It burns me every month to pay for my website hosting knowing that I could almost use my MM hosting, but since I'd rather build my own CMS and website over Iweb (LOL, templates) I can't. Though maybe I can make a joke out of it and rebuild my sites with Iweb for comparison. Funny thing is, Apple assumes that their customers are all idiots who can't program, but the truth is we're buying their frigging computers specifically for programming, editing and photography. As a matter of fact it's the preferred platform overall for creative types. It's an interesting dichotomy in their view of they clientele. Buy a Mac, be creative, but since you too stupid to really be creative we'll just hold your hand. Apple use to think their users were creative, now we're just creative idiots who need our hands held. I hate the fact that they usually ignore the "power users" when it comes to their products. I hate the fact that "power users" is even a category of computer user. Technology manufacturers really need to stop making products and services for the lowest common denominator. I understand the reasoning but Christ All Mighty, you're killing the art and craft of every major occupation out there by the very fact that everything is "idiot proof" and by making it "idiot proof" the quality and craft of photography, design, editing etc are are lost in a sea of templates. It was a better world when things we still hard to do.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:

It doesn?t appear that Apple actually hosts the domain, but there are other issues with using iWeb to publish or web.me.com/<name> as a web address. Primarily, the lack the of server-side code. I don?t require much, but PHP is one of the things I would need and you just can?t do it.

oh nos , i didnt realise that. no php or sql ? thats no use to host any somewhat interesting website
  • Reply 29 of 62
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

It would be great if apple actually supported fully functional web hosting, but I always thought that would be a dream. PHP is essential but so is SQL. It burns me every month to pay for my website hosting knowing that I could almost use my MM hosting, but since I'd rather build my own CMS and website over Iweb (LOL, templates) I can't. Though maybe I can make a joke out of it and rebuild my sites with Iweb for comparison. Funny thing is, Apple assumes that their customers are all idiots who can't program, but the truth is we're buying their frigging computers specifically for programming, editing and photography. As a matter of fact it's the preferred platform overall for creative types. It's an interesting dichotomy in their view of they clientele. Buy a Mac, be creative, but since you too stupid to really be creative we'll just hold your hand. Apple use to think their users were creative, now we're just creative idiots who need our hands held. I hate the fact that they usually ignore the "power users" when it comes to their products. I hate the fact that "power users" is even a category of computer user. Technology manufacturers really need to stop making products and services for the lowest common denominator. I understand the reasoning but Christ All Mighty, you're killing the art and craft of every major occupation out there by the very fact that everything is "idiot proof" and by making it "idiot proof" the quality and craft of photography, design, editing etc are are lost in a sea of templates. It was a better world when things we still hard to do.

I didn't realize that people who couldn't program were idiots. Thanks for proving how smart you are.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Funny thing is, Apple assumes that their customers are all idiots who can't program, but the truth is we're buying their frigging computers specifically for programming, editing and photography. As a matter of fact it's the preferred platform overall for creative types.

I wouldn?t go that far. iWeb is a simple consumer-level product for those without webcode knowledge. While I would like PHP and SQL (now that you mention it) I do understand their perspective on this. Neither is too hard to learn but they aren?t for the basic user as they aren?t WYSIWYG either, and there are plenty of options for Mac users who do want to build more dynamic sites.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Mobile me is finally getting interesting. What I would really like to see in the future is a user account sync option for those with multiple computers. Changes and files would be automatically transferred to your other computer(s) when on your network transparetly.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Mobile me is finally getting interesting. What I would really like to see in the future is a user account sync option for those with multiple computers.

What exactly do you mean? You can set your .Mac/MM account sync on multiple machines and have them merge or replace the sync info between all accounts on different machines. Thye?ve had that for years.

My biggest gripes with MM is that Find My iPhone and Remote Wipe can be too easily turned off within the iPhone?s Mail settings. But more importantly, the account preferences syncing, iDisk and probably some aspects of the service are sent in plaintext. The authorization is encrypted but everything else can be easily snooped on a public network, which is why I now only sync manually when I?m on a secure network.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    techprtechpr Posts: 15member
    This is OLD news, since February we have the Sharing feature active. The only thing new is the upcoming iPhone iDisk App, still waiting for it.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Is the use of WebDAV the reason I can't access my iDisk folders from the office, where they use IE6? If the content isn't available on all browsers then you can't rely on it. TMT ( too much technology ).

IE6 is old and stale. Talk to your IT department about their plans to update your infrastructure.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

IE6 is old and stale. Talk to your IT department about their plans to update your infrastructure.

For a frame of reference…

— Internet Explorer 6 was released on August 27, 2001 (Eight years ago, a few month before Windows XP launched)

— Internet Explorer 7 was released on October 18, 2006 (Almost 3 years ago, when Apple’s 10.4 “Tiger" was only halfway through it’s release cycle)

— Internet Explorer 8 was released on March 19, 2009 (Now that IE8 is out at least they can move to IE7 if they like to be behind)
  • Reply 36 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Mobile me is finally getting interesting. What I would really like to see in the future is a user account sync option for those with multiple computers. Changes and files would be automatically transferred to your other computer(s) when on your network transparetly.

Yes. The iDisk architecture is dated and needs to be improved a lot. Competing services like Dropbox are far more transparent. iDisk should follow Dropbox's approach of using standard folders on the computer and seamlessly synchronizing those. MobileMe users could specify arbitrary folders to sync using MobileMe, and those folders become accessible via iDisk, regardless of where the folders are on the computer. Right now, if you want to sync your Documents, you need to have 2 copies of your Documents folder, which just complicates the entire process.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Yes. The iDisk architecture is dated and needs to be improved a lot. Competing services like Dropbox are far more transparent. iDisk should follow Dropbox's approach of using standard folders on the computer and seamlessly synchronizing those. MobileMe users could specify arbitrary folders to sync using MobileMe, and those folders become accessible via iDisk, regardless of where the folders are on the computer. Right now, if you want to sync your Documents, you need to have 2 copies of your Documents folder, which just complicates the entire process.

I’ve been asking for this option for years (through Apple’s developer site, not in a whine fest on AI). I think being able to right click on a folder or file and be able to share it right where it resides would be very user friendly. While still being able to move the file/folder around the system freely, with a special icon appendage so you know it’s shared with just a glance. Also, perhaps an app or a Pref Pane that allows you to see and manage all your shared folders and files quickly.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    sinisterjoesinisterjoe Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Is the use of WebDAV the reason I can't access my iDisk folders from the office, where they use IE6? If the content isn't available on all browsers then you can't rely on it. TMT ( too much technology ).

WebDAV is often supported at the OS level. In Windows you can add a WebDAV file share through My Network Places Center Sharing something or another. I forget what they call it but it's there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3264
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:

I wouldn?t go that far. iWeb is a simple consumer-level product for those without webcode knowledge. While I would like PHP and SQL (now that you mention it) I do understand their perspective on this. Neither is too hard to learn but they aren?t for the basic user as they aren?t WYSIWYG either, and there are plenty of options for Mac users who do want to build more dynamic sites.

Yeah you're right. It would be nice to have a robust back-end so that one wouldn't have to mirror services that otherwise could be combined for simple personal stuff.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member