Time to startup in OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When I boot my MDD 867 MHz with Jaguar (10.2.1) and 1 GB of ram, it takes about 70 seconds on a partition and more than 2 minutes on another partition. Both partitions have a similar structure. Why this huge time difference ?

How much time is Jaguar taking to boot on your system ? The best I have is 70 seconds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    65 sec from start chime to desktop

cube 450

1 gb ram

mac os x 10.2.1
  • Reply 2 of 33
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Sorry to hear that it takes "So long"

I dont know the exact start up time for my TiBook 800Mhz but the slowest part of startup is the Grey screen, once the OSX window appears startup takes around 20secs or so..

have you got like lots of network initilization starting up? If so perhaps thats the source of the delay!
  • Reply 3 of 33
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    On a partition, the gray screen of shame stay for about one minute. The blue screen with the OS X logo is showing for about 10 sec. Total : about 70 sec.

On another partition, the gray screen last about one minute (same as on the other partition), but the OS X blue screen is showing for about one minute or more, because of "network" initialisation. Total : more than 2 full minutes ! My computer isn't part of a network, so why is it doing this ? Why a similar installation isn't doing this on another partition ? I don't understand.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    On my Dual GHz SlowSilver (tm) with GeForce 4 Ti4600, 1.5GB RAM, dual 80GB Seagate HDs

Grey screen to finder completely loaded and ready to "rock": 28 sec. I am not kidding!

But on my iBook 600, DVD, 384MB RAM......it takes almost 3 minutes to do the same thing
  • Reply 5 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>On my Dual GHz SlowSilver (tm) with GeForce 4 Ti4600, 1.5GB RAM, dual 80GB Seagate HDs

Grey screen to finder completely loaded and ready to "rock": 28 sec. I am not kidding!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Damn ! How is your configuration ?

I'm sure I should have a better time on my machine than what I have right now. To me, a 1 minute gray screen is abnormal. It HAS to be shorter.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    My dual 500 with 36 GB U160 SCSI, 60 GB IDE, and 832 MB RAM takes well *under* a minute from cold to 100% ready.

Frankly, I don't know why people are concerned about "long" startup times when your systems should probably have uptimes in weeks.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Because not everyone leaves their computer on all the time, and most people aren't aware that leavingn your computer on is better than turning it on and off all the time.

Whenever I notice my startup really slowing down I break out my Norton Boot CD and do a full optimize on my hard disk. Usually speeds it up quite noticeably.

--PB
  • Reply 8 of 33
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>On a partition, the gray screen of shame stay for about one minute. The blue screen with the OS X logo is showing for about 10 sec. Total : about 70 sec.

On another partition, the gray screen last about one minute (same as on the other partition), but the OS X blue screen is showing for about one minute or more, because of "network" initialisation. Total : more than 2 full minutes ! My computer isn't part of a network, so why is it doing this ? Why a similar installation isn't doing this on another partition ? I don't understand.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you are not going to use your ethernet port, go into the Network preference pane and click the pull-down menu, then select 'Network Port Configurations.' Check off 'Built-in Ethernet,' and click the 'Apply Now' button.

No more Network Initialization.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    When all is well (that is, when I don't have to do a forced restart because of ****ing GLOD while my computer is booting and decides to change screen resolutions, which makes OS X do an automatic disk check at bootup) my iMac 233MHz boots up in around 70 secs. This is certianly not slow...compared to my friends PIII 700MHz (what I consider to be equivalent on the PC side), it is actually quite fast.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    I'm concerned about startup time, because I need to boot the computer more frequently than you may think. Sometimes, I get crashes (yes, even under OS X). Jaguar isn't that stable, since I got 4 crashes in the last month (this is MUCH more frequently than with my old Quadra with system 7.1, which crashed maybe two times in a whole year !!! And yes, I was using it a lot thank you).

Also, I need to restart the computer frequently with OS 9, to use my *&?%$#@! Adaptec 2906 SCSI card, which doesn't work in Jaguar. After, I have to restart again in OS X, and I find the boot process too long.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>I'm concerned about startup time, because I need to boot the computer more frequently than you may think. Sometimes, I get crashes (yes, even under OS X). Jaguar isn't that stable, since I got 4 crashes in the last month (this is MUCH more frequently than with my old Quadra with system 7.1, which crashed maybe two times in a whole year !!! And yes, I was using it a lot thank you).

Also, I need to restart the computer frequently with OS 9, to use my *&?%$#@! Adaptec 2906 SCSI card, which doesn't work in Jaguar. After, I have to restart again in OS X, and I find the boot process too long.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It shouldn't crash at all, never has on me. You don't have any Norton crudware installed, do you?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    My system is being "clean" all the time. Plus I set up static IP so that the machine doesn't have to detect for IP everytime it boots up. It's save a lot of seconds.....
  • Reply 13 of 33
    No Norton scrap on my machine.

Last time I crashed, it was because of iTunes ! I made several mp3 then, while playing music. I tried to put the computer to sleep after iTunes made its work. No sleep ! I tried to quit all apps manually (iTunes was one of the few running). I had to force quit iTunes but it crashed the whole computer.

Another crash occured imediatelly after I tried to awake the computer in the sleep mode. It was sleeping all the day (ha! the lazy one!). I don't know why, but I had a "restart your computer" message imediatelly after the screen awake.

The crash before that one was caused by QT, I guess. I tried to open a QT document with TextEdit (this was a clicking mistake on the wrong document in an open file window). I don't know why, but TextEdit let me opened this QT document and showed a page full of garbages After I closed the window, the computer hard crashed (complete freeze).

I don't remember the fourth crash.

So, nope, Jag isn't that strong after all. Weak cat.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    All you uptime snobs haven't installed Carracho/Carracho Server. Brad? It hard crashes OS X like nobody's business daily, sometimes twice in 10 minutes. Ouch. I'm getting Jaguar tomorrow, we'll see if that helps.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    From chime to ready it takes 50 sec. on my QS 867 gigram, Jaguar.

Our 400iMacDV 512ram takes 65 sec. from chime to ready.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Oh, and I use itunes alot. I frequently burn cds with my superdrive and my Iomega external usb burner at the same time. Love my Jaguar!! ...Randy
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Geez ! Yesterday, I changed a stupid thing in the network prefs panel on one of my two boot partitions, and now both partitions are booting in the same time : 70 seconds.

What else can I do to reduce this time ? A full minute gray screen isn't normal IMO, and it's pretty dull to watch (no more smiley Mac).

I don't have much fonts installed (about 40 fonts in the OS 9 and about 70 in the /Library/fonts of OS X). The computer isn't hooked to a network, I don't run fancy things, no peripherals except the Apple LCD display and an Apple LW printer.

I am sure there are some ways to optimize the startup process, without doing dangerous stuff to the system (hacks and such things). Just options in the prefs panels.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>All you uptime snobs haven't installed Carracho/Carracho Server. Brad?</strong><hr></blockquote>Well, that's what you get for pirating software.

Yarr! Avast thee!

I'm no "uptime snob". I reboot about once a week to fiddle with my hardware because my SCSI card is still sketchy. I just don't see why there's such a big fuss about startup speed when *most* people aren't rebooting one or two or three times a day like in the OS9 days.

Kali: when it's on the initial grey screen, I believe the system is checking your RAM and scanning for available drives. Since you say that SCSI card doesn't work properly in OSX, you might ought to remove it to see if startup time improves.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Yup, I was thinking about this. What SCSI card do you have ?

I'll have to email Adaptec to do some pressure to "adapt" their driver to Jaguar. Their driver is a year old.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I never really timed it, but ever since Jaguar my iBook takes at least 3 minutes.