Noob Questions - hopefully really simple

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

Just received my first ever Apple - MBP. It's awesome and i'm currently transferring all my £13k digital photo's onto it so that'll take a few weeks to organise!

Two things i don't understand.

1) To close a program, I click on the red button at the top left. However they still show on the dock and when I swipe with four fingers left and I cannot relaunch the program. I click on them and when it shows the name at the top left, I have to press 'symbol'Q. Anyone know how I can sort this.

2) Is there any way I can ask Time Machine not to do hourly, but do only do daily backups? (One google found I had to change a file in /system but i don't know how safe this is and how to get there)

3) WHat's up with trying to list an item on eBay? Did some googling and I cannot use safari for it? Is that true? Why don't safari makes themselves compatible with ebay? I don't really want Firefox to be installed as want to stick with apple going forwards.

4) Is there anyway that I can get safari to open ALL links in tabs when I click on them (instead of me having to hold a button down when clicking)

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wicked666 View Post

Hi,

Just received my first ever Apple - MBP. It's awesome and i'm currently transferring all my £13k digital photo's onto it so that'll take a few weeks to organise!

Two things i don't understand.

1) To close a program, I click on the red button at the top left. However they still show on the dock and when I swipe with four fingers left and I cannot relaunch the program. I click on them and when it shows the name at the top left, I have to press 'symbol'Q. Anyone know how I can sort this.

Clicking on the red button closes the window, not the app. Some programs are configured to quit when last window is closed (e.g. System Preferences) but most will stay open. This is a major source of confusion for Windows users and an issue which could be debated for ages, but the short advice: get used to it. Use Cmd-Q to quit.

More background:

On Mac OS, the menu bar is not tied to the document window. It is always on top of the screen. When you are using a program, you can still open a new document from the menu after the last window was closed. The Apple guidelines (for the developers) recommends to use auto-quit feature for utility programs which have one window anyway and there is no point keeping the program runing without the window. Some might argue that closing the iTunes library window should close the program. Anyway, get used to it and you will find this logical.

Quote:

2) Is there any way I can ask Time Machine not to do hourly, but do only do daily backups? (One google found I had to change a file in /system but i don't know how safe this is and how to get there)

There is no UI for that. There are third-party utilities and the option to change the default. Editing a file is an option but be careful and make a copy first. Make sure you don't mess the permissions too. Generally, I would prefer to use "defaults write" command but for this particular setting I googled out one problem reported.

Quote:

3) WHat's up with trying to list an item on eBay? Did some googling and I cannot use safari for it? Is that true? Why don't safari makes themselves compatible with ebay? I don't really want Firefox to be installed as want to stick with apple going forwards.

Not sure what is the problem here. Try Firefox.

Quote:

4) Is there anyway that I can get safari to open ALL links in tabs when I click on them (instead of me having to hold a button down when clicking)

Go to bookmarks (the book icon on the very left of the bookmarks bar), select "Bookmarks bar" from the Collections group. You will find Auto-click column. Select the checkbox for all folders which you want opening all tabs automatically.

Edit: Ooops! The last answer is wrong. Well, it is a correct answer to a different question. The answer to your question is NO, you can't. There is no way for Safari to know whether you want to jump to a different page using the link (and open the page in the current window) or keep the current page and open the link in new tab or window.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    wicked666wicked666 Posts: 33member
    Thanks for the reply - has been helpful! I can get used to the changes as the benefits far outweigh them.

Two more questions.

1) How can i 'Delete' (So getting rid of characters to the right of the cursor)

2) How do i highlight words? (This used to be Ctrl & Shift and arrow buttons)

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 15
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply - has been helpful! I can get used to the changes as the benefits far outweigh them.

Two more questions.

1) How can i 'Delete' (So getting rid of characters to the right of the cursor)

2) How do i highlight words? (This used to be Ctrl & Shift and arrow buttons)

Thanks

Forward delete: press the function key and delete

To highlight stuff with the keyboard: shift and the arrow keys. If I want to just highlight one word quickly, I usually just double click it though. Triple click highlights the entire paragraph.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Is there any way I can ask Time Machine not to do hourly, but do only do daily backups? (One google found I had to change a file in /system but i don't know how safe this is and how to get there)

Apple like to limit important options sometimes so people have to make apps to work around it. Try this app:

http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

Quote:

WHat's up with trying to list an item on eBay? Did some googling and I cannot use safari for it? Is that true? Why don't safari makes themselves compatible with ebay? I don't really want Firefox to be installed as want to stick with apple going forwards.

It's eBay's fault. I hate this and I always have to use Firefox but fortunately I don't use eBay often. Browser developers make them compatible with a standard, it's up to website developers to do the same. Javascript can change this as they don't all have the same engine and site developers just aim to be compatible with the most popular ones.

Quote:

Is there anyway that I can get safari to open ALL links in tabs when I click on them (instead of me having to hold a button down when clicking)

I don't think so, I've just gotten into the habit of right-clicking and open in new tab. Firefox manages it and it would be nice if Safari did the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wicked666

How do i highlight words?

Shift+alt+arrow-key. Sometimes you just have to play around with combinations of modifier keys. Shift-command-arrow-key does a sentence.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Thats really useful! Thanks :o)
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I use Safari to buy/sell on eBay... have never had a problem. In fact, just sold my 2G iPhone on it last week! (all using Safari.)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I use Safari to buy/sell on eBay... have never had a problem. In fact, just sold my 2G iPhone on it last week! (all using Safari.)

In Firefox, the HTML advert box is enabled. Safari is just plain text. Also when you click on the popups that add more options (such as more payment options), it will often just stay on screen so you have to hit refresh to get rid of it.

You can make auctions with Safari successfully, it's just less frustrating on Firefox.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I must just have never used those... I've never noticed such things. (eBay)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Hi,

How annoying, right? A tab based browser that doesn't open links in tabs by default. Anyways..

Just open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and type in the following command:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Once you restart Safari, all clicked links will open in a new tab. If you want to reverse the command for some reason, just replace "true" with "false."
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

How annoying, right? A tab based browser that doesn't open links in tabs by default. Anyways..

Just open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and type in the following command:

Once you restart Safari, all clicked links will open in a new tab. If you want to reverse the command for some reason, just replace "true" with "false."

I just remembered, middle-click opens links in tabs same as command-click. That plist option is quite good for overriding links that open in a new window.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    wicked666wicked666 Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Awesome!! That works perfectly! Now I know what pages I've opened and haven't.

Cheers!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Dude you rock, thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Hi Pal - I have started using Apple mail and it's annoying that each link opens a new safari window. Do you know any way that i can get Mail to open each link as a new tab in the same window?

Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mattsmatts Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Hi Pal - I have started using Apple mail and it's annoying that each link opens a new safari window. Do you know any way that i can get Mail to open each link as a new tab in the same window?

Thanks

Go: Safari -> Preferences -> General: Open links from applications ? in a new tab in the current window.

-matts
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matts View Post

Go: Safari -> Preferences -> General: Open links from applications ? in a new tab in the current window.

-matts

Thanks - so simple! It works!