Firefox 3.5 breaks trackpad gestures?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Installed Firefox 3.5 on MacOSX and on Win7, on my MBP. Sofar, so good, but Safari 4 and Chrome are clearly faster, although Safari 4 also crashes or freezes occasionaly, requiring a hard restart, which FF doesn't/hasn't (yet).

But FF displays another quirk: after some time browsing, my MBP's trackpad stops responding to all gestures except clicking, and I need to resort to using a mouse...

I.o.w.: FF 3.5 is useless on laptops? That would be killing!

Safari 4 hasn't demonstrated that quirk yet.

Anybody out there with a laptop and the same problem with FF 3.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    My experience with FF is different. The Mac version allows you to click and hold the back or forward arrow to move multiple pages. The Windows version does not. Both allow using the triangle to the right of the arrows for navigation. For me, Safari is better than anything else I've used. Firefox looks better to me on the Mac. RC, was it your intent to spell it wrong, or just something AI won't let you fix?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

My experience with FF is different. The Mac version allows you to click and hold the back or forward arrow to move multiple pages. The Windows version does not. Both allow using the triangle to the right of the arrows for navigation.

Yes, I have that too.

Quote:

For me, Safari is better than anything else I've used. Firefox looks better to me on the Mac.

On MacOSX (MBP) Safari 4 is faster than FF, but it crashes or freezes too often. I prefer to trade that speed for the stability of Firefox 3.5 for the mo.

Quote:

RC, was it your intent to spell it wrong, or just something AI won't let you fix?

Assuming you meant "RS":

afaic it's my correctly spelled nick, WPLJ.

I'm not a rocket scientist, you know!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Yes, I have that too.

On MacOSX (MBP) Safari 4 is faster than FF, but it crashes or freezes too often. I prefer to trade that speed for the stability of Firefox 3.5 for the mo.

Assuming you meant "RS":

afaic it's my correctly spelled nick, WPLJ.

I'm not a rocket scientist, you know!

Oops RS, I make that kind of boo boo sometimes. Couple of cold solder connections upstairs. You made me look up afaic. WPLJ42 is an old 45 RPM. Firefox doesn't seem as quick as Safari. I had trouble in the early beta for S4, but that went away. I do use the Reset Safari feature.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

I do use the Reset Safari feature.

That unfortunately is not an option when Safari freezes. Even less when it takes my whole Mac down with it...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

That unfortunately is not an option when Safari freezes. Even less when it takes my whole Mac down with it...

I suspect something else is the matter. Maybe you could take this post over the the Genius section.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:

Installed Firefox 3.5 on MacOSX and on Win7, on my MBP. Sofar, so good, but Safari 4 and Chrome are clearly faster, although Safari 4 also crashes or freezes occasionaly, requiring a hard restart, which FF doesn't/hasn't (yet).

But FF displays another quirk: after some time browsing, my MBP's trackpad stops responding to all gestures except clicking, and I need to resort to using a mouse...

I.o.w.: FF 3.5 is useless on laptops? That would be killing!

Safari 4 hasn't demonstrated that quirk yet.

Anybody out there with a laptop and the same problem with FF 3.5?

Safari is a very good and fully integrated into apple hardware and future plans. Why would anybody use something else!??!

Safari 4 is not as stable as 3 but just give it a few months of software updates.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I suspect something else is the matter. Maybe you could take this post over the the Genius section.

I think I found the culprit: Windows 7 running in VMware... Why am I not surprised? Well, I was fed up with it anyway, so I trashed the whole ff-ing virtual machine. And my trackpad works as smooth as butter again!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:

I think I found the culprit: Windows 7 running in VMware... Why am I not surprised? Well, I was fed up with it anyway, so I trashed the whole ff-ing virtual machine. And my trackpad works as smooth as butter again!

Smart guy. Of course it would have been even smarter to not have fusion and winblows installed in the first place. But still smart.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Just out of curiosity, does that by any chance, fix the issues with Safari?