Apple may add micro projectors to iPhones, iPod touches

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the storage capacities of iPhones and iPod touches on the rise, consumers are likely to begin carrying more and more of their digital video content on the devices, and could soon have the capability to project those videos for friends and family just about anywhere.

According to Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes, Foxlink, a subsidiary of Apple's iPhone manufacturing partner Foxconn, is currently developing its own micro projector technology that should begin making its way into integrated devices as early as this year.

The publication cited sources "with Taiwan handset makers" who say that tier I smartphone makers such Nokia, Samsung and Apple, "reportedly all plan to launch handsets with built-in micro projectors by the end of this year."

Micro projects are an emerging technology for small form-factor handheld devices comprised of miniaturized hardware and software that can project digital images onto any nearby viewing surface, such as a wall of projection screen.

They're positioned at devices like the iPhone and iPod touch, which are sometimes too tiny to accommodate interfaces for connecting directly to external displays or televisions.

Several third parties have already taken to developing standalone micro projectors that can attach to existing iPhones and iPods, like Microvision's portable PicoP projector that was profiled by AppleInsider when it drew crowds at January's Macworld Expo.

Still a prototype at the time, device worked with either a composite video or RGB video input at standard definition WVGA video resolution (848x480), optionally displayed in a 16:9 wide aspect ratio. The battery was rated for 2 hours, and the focus-free unit was shown projecting a picture up to about 100 inches diagonal.

A brief video demonstration of the device in action can be seen above.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    alecthekingalectheking Posts: 206member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the storage capacities of iPhones and iPod touches on the rise, consumers are likely to begin carrying more and more of their digital video content on the devices, and could soon have the capability to project those videos for friends and family just about anywhere.

According to Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes, Foxlink, a subsidiary of Apple's iPhone manufacturing partner Foxconn, is currently developing its own micro projector technology that should begin making its way into integrated devices as early as this year.

The publication cited sources "with Taiwan handset makers" who say that tier I smartphone makers such Nokia, Samsung and Apple, "reportedly all plan to launch handsets with built-in micro projectors by the end of this year."

Micro projects are an emerging technology for small form-factor handheld devices comprised of miniaturized hardware and software that can project digital images onto any nearby viewing surface, such as a wall of projection screen.

They're positioned at devices like the iPhone and iPod touch, which are sometimes too tiny to accommodate interfaces for connecting directly to external displays or televisions.

Several third parties have already taken to developing standalone micro projectors that can attach to existing iPhones and iPods, like Microvision's portable PicoP projector that was profiled by AppleInsider when it drew crowds at January's Macworld Expo.

Still a prototype at the time, device worked with either a composite video or RGB video input at standard definition WVGA video resolution (848x480), optionally displayed in a 16:9 wide aspect ratio. The battery was rated for 2 hours, and the focus-free unit was shown projecting a picture up to about 100 inches diagonal.

A brief video demonstration of the device in action can be seen above.

yay first whoa yay im first ur not lucky me!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

yay first whoa yay im first ur not lucky me!

THreat. That said there exist technology to shoot display if keyboards onto any surface using lasers. I see no reason why we would nit be able to show video except battery life. This will requir it being plugged in. Hopefully the will take the wireless charging from the ore and add it to the iPhone.

One piece of fiber is really all we need. Time to dump the plugs.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Nice technology. I can see Apple making an iMac without the monitor, just a projecting keyboard.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    I'd rather see a flash for the camera first but wouldn't mind having it.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

Nice technology. I can see Apple making an iMac without the monitor, just a projecting keyboard.

Brilliant observation. Both the cost savings and the environmental benefits would be huge.

Of course, others could likely beat Apple to this.....
  • Reply 6 of 51
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

I can see millions of people not buying an iMac if Apple did that.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Has anyone seen the inside of an iPod touch or iPhone? There's no way this could possibly fit inside without substantially increasing the size of either and decreasing the battery life to pretty much nothing.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 787member
    Me? I'll settle for better battery life!

While I appreciate the thinness of my iPod touch 2G, the battery life is deplorable!

If Apple could substantially improve battery life by making it even a millimeter or two thicker, I think it would serve a LOT more users in a REAL way than a whizzy, marginal feature like a projector.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    To get a projector into an iPhone will be a miracle. There is no more space left inside it. Apple will need to re-miniaturize the whole components once again to fit anything inside the iPhone.

And assuming that is achieved, where will power come from? A larger battery or a "SUPER" battery?

The whole thing is not impossible, however how many people are willing to pay more for an iPhone that its price has been lowered continuously since its launch? Sure it will cost more. Either AT&T going to spend more on subsidy, or Apple is going to lower its margin. Are we going ask the Chinese to take pay cuts and work 24hrs so the world can get an iPhone with projector without increase in price? Yeah right!

The whole story is just iffy at best!
  • Reply 10 of 51
    polar315polar315 Posts: 76member
    Not sure how useful it would be, but they have to keep adding features to attract new customers and have people want to upgrade. Have read about this being added to laptops to give presentations.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10039.html
  • Reply 11 of 51
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The publication cited sources "with Taiwan handset makers" who say that tier I smartphone makers such Nokia, Samsung and Apple, "reportedly all plan to launch handsets with built-in micro projectors by the end of this year."...

This is a highly dubious rumour and the title of this article is just irresponsible.

This article has been repeated all over the net and is on Digg this morning as well as being referenced on a couple of sites as "Apple to add micro-projectors to iPhone," when in fact it's so unlikely as to be ridiculous.

The smallest tech in micro-projectors basically still takes up more volume and more power than an entire iPhone. The idea that this is coming as an integrated technology "by the end of this year" is a joke. What's more likely (and in fact already headed to manufacture as we speak), are adapters and cases like the Morphie juice pack that have this technology in them.

Micro-projector accessories by the end of the year? Sure. Micro-projectors inside iPhones? Not likely for years yet.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Help me Stevi Jobs Kenobi, you're my only hope.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

To get a projector into an iPhone will be a miracle. There is no more space left inside it. Apple will need to re-miniaturize the whole components once again to fit anything inside the iPhone.

And assuming that is achieved, where will power come from? A larger battery or a "SUPER" battery?

The whole thing is not impossible, however how many people are willing to pay more for an iPhone that its price has been lowered continuously since its launch? Sure it will cost more. Either AT&T going to spend more on subsidy, or Apple is going to lower its margin. Are we going ask the Chinese to take pay cuts and work 24hrs so the world can get an iPhone with projector without increase in price? Yeah right!

The whole story is just iffy at best!

I think they'll have figured out a proper, elegant solution before any one of us will here, if this is true.

Wasn't that long ago when people didn't think Apple could design a phone.

Wasn't that long ago when people thought non-removable batteries would be failures, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Just because I don't wear condoms when I play with the sheep on my farm doesn't mean I'm dirty.

Uhh ok.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Not bloody likely. Where do you guys find this stuff?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

Help me Stevi Jobs Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Excellent.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I call BS.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I can see millions of people not buying an iMac if Apple did that.

I agree to disagree. Even though it could be literally useless etc etc, but the way Apple does things is different. Apple usually redefines a category of products. If not, may be Apple will use some clever tactics
  • Reply 19 of 51
    There's no way that Apple is going to increase the iPhone's size to accommodate the current size of microprojectors. The MBP200 that was just released offers a resolution of only 480×320 pixels and is as big as a cellphone itself at a cost of $700. Yeah, Apple's just going to throw that in as an added feature. MAYBE in a few years.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    How bout they make the projector an add-on through the dock connector