Apple procuring video camera modules for nex-gen iPod touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With all of Apple's spring product offerings now on the market, attention is shifting towards the company's fall iPod launches, which are widely expected to include the first models that will dual as pocket-sized digital cameras.

Citing a source in the Far East, technology news blog TechCrunch is reporting that Apple recently placed a new and "massive" order for camera modules of the same type as those found in the new iPhone 3GS.

It estimates the parts cost the Cupertino-based electronics maker roughly $10 a pop, and adds that the sheer size of the order signals the components "can only be used for one thing," namely new iPods.

If this sounds familiar, it's because similar predictions have been made over the past couple of months. The first report of which arrived in mid-May, and pegged both the third-gen iPod touch and fifth-gen iPod nano as ripe for iPhone-like camera capabilities

Less than two weeks later, a sketch showcasing a rumored design of the fifth-generation nano portrayed a device very similar to a fourth-gen nano with the addition of a camera lens inserted towards the lower left-hand side of the player's rear. Its position would reportedly pave the way for the nano to be used as a point-and-shoot camera when held in landscape mode and gripped by its corners.

Since then, a pair of iPod protective cases have cropped up on the websites of third-party accessory makers: one for an iPod touch with a circular recess that would match up with a camera lens positioned near the top-center of the device's backside, and another for an iPod nano with an elliptical opening that matches the rumored lens placement portrayed in the sketch of the fifth-gen device.

Third party casing leaks have at times proven indicative of Apple's future product plans but at other times have turned out to be incredibly misleading, such as those reportedly destine for an "iPhone nano" back in January.

That said, the reports signaling a new line of iPods with camera functionalities are believed to be accurate. The addition of a built-in video camera on the iPod touch is seen as a logical progression of the device's hardware feature set that should easily double the install base of camera-equipped multi-touch devices for which developers can write App Store applications.

Meanwhile, adding a camera to the nano may be a simple but material enough measure that could help drive upgrade cycles on the part of consumers, some of which may be turned on to the novelty of having rudimentary point-and-shoot capabilities built into a device they carry regularly, doing away for the need to tote a separate device more frequently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    If you're reading this it means you're not first.

• Reply 2 of 40
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Hopefully they add a microphone too.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    This could mean that Apple could become a big force in the camera market, even though they don't make them, but if every iPod touch and nano had a builti-n camera they'll be a huge seller.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    tapetape Posts: 47member
    Grain of salt taken with: large. Mike Arrington is not exactly on my list of "journalists" that I find credible.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I would like to believe this, but the placement of the camera on the Nano makes it hard to buy. Why would they put it where your hands would normally be, especially on something that small? It would be real hard to hold it and snap a picture. I really want them to put the camera in the Touch, but am not holding my breath.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    alecthekingalectheking Posts: 206member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

If you're reading this it means you're not first.

You sir are a fool and need to leave.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tape View Post

Grain of salt taken with: large. Mike Arrington is not exactly on my list of "journalists" that I find credible.

IMO, this is a sure thing. When the iPhone 3GS's 3.2mp camera rumours were doing the rounds, it was also mentioned that Apple had ordered 5mp camera lens too. May be the 5mp ones are for the iPods. Who knows? !!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake Frost View Post

I would like to believe this, but the placement of the camera on the Nano makes it hard to buy. Why would they put it where your hands would normally be, especially on something that small? It would be real hard to hold it and snap a picture. I really want them to put the camera in the Touch, but am not holding my breath.

If you hold it like a regular camera, you wont hide the lens. But I wonder whether this would make it any more appealing. How powerful a camera could they add. Just another one of those lenses used in sub $100 phones would make it useless.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, adding a camera to the nano may be a simple but material enough measure that could help drive upgrade cycles on the part of consumers, some of which may be turned on to the novelty of having rudimentary point-and-shoot capabilities built into a device they carry regularly, doing away for the need to tote a separate device more frequently.

I am not sure that I understand this. Is it saying here that people would leave their camera home when they would have a camera in their iPod? Everybody with an iPod already carries a cell phone and these all have a camera, sometimes even better than the one offered by Apple, so I don't see the logic here.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...which are widely expected to include the first models that will dual as pocket-sized digital cameras...

Is AppleInsider trying to coin a new word here? "Dual" is not a verb. You mean "double."
  • Reply 11 of 40
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Everybody with an iPod already carries a cell phone...

I don't. My wife doesn't. Last night with friends, there was one cell phone out of 6.

I learned a long time ago -- when I worked -- what an complete waste of time cell phones were and stopped using them. If you think cell phones are ubiquitous, look at all those that are critical of people dependent on a cell phone. There are way more of us and many of us don't even bother carrying one.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

You sir are a fool and need to leave.

Success is cool, so he is.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I am not sure that I understand this. Is it saying here that people would leave their camera home when they would have a camera in their iPod? Everybody with an iPod already carries a cell phone and these all have a camera, sometimes even better than the one offered by Apple, so I don't see the logic here.

You honestly don't? Deep into the generations of iPods, Apple has to offer features that: 1) Sell new models, and 2) Convince people they need the new features (even if they don't).

That was the overall (and now, MASSIVELY successful) concept of the iPhone. Millions of people ditched their crappy "camera-phone" despite where they were in their contracts, and put their iPod to the side, for the convenience of all-in-one iPhone.

There are many people however who are still "multiple-device" people who do not have a service contract with a carrier and are not looking for one.

The advent of a popular iPod (the Nano) that now includes a sexy, state-of-the-art point and shoot camera (as it will be billed) will be a big seller with 10 through 18 year olds, as many many many of them carry both an iPod Nano and some kind of cheapo digital camera that they've received as a gift at some point.

Its a great move, and the idea of both an iPod touch w/ camera and iPod Nano w/ camera opens a lot of demographic doors. They will sell very well, and yes you will see many people opt for the generic on board camera rather than bringing along the clunky extra hardware that "only takes pictures."

Remember, Printer/Scanner/Copiers don't do any of those functions well, but they still selllllllll.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    iPod Touch is big enough for a camera, but a nano is definitely too small. However, something need to be added to all iPods to keep them from being obsolete. Everyone will never have an iPhone , even at $99. And if there is going to be camera on anything, it has to be iPod Touch and Classic, not nano.

• Reply 15 of 40
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    I think we can all agree that the iPhone camera, and any iPod camera won't replace a serious standalone camera anytime soon. I certainly won't ditch my Canon anytime soon. That being said, the success of devices like the Flip Mino show thatthere is a market for lower cost video recording. If they have a microphone with the camera, I think anyone wanting a Mino would jump at a touch, especially the fact that you can edit video on the device and send it wirelessly - its a no brainer.

So yeah, Apple isn't going after Canon or Nikon anytime soon, but they will be a step ahead of the forthcoming Zune HD and they can pretty much beat the sub-300 camcorder market with these devices.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You honestly don't? Deep into the generations of iPods, Apple has to offer features that: 1) Sell new models, and 2) Convince people they need the new features (even if they don't).

That was the overall (and now, MASSIVELY successful) concept of the iPhone. Millions of people ditched their crappy "camera-phone" despite where they were in their contracts, and put their iPod to the side, for the convenience of all-in-one iPhone.

There are many people however who are still "multiple-device" people who do not have a service contract with a carrier and are not looking for one.

The advent of a popular iPod (the Nano) that now includes a sexy, state-of-the-art point and shoot camera (as it will be billed) will be a big seller with 10 through 18 year olds, as many many many of them carry both an iPod Nano and some kind of cheapo digital camera that they've received as a gift at some point.

Its a great move, and the idea of both an iPod touch w/ camera and iPod Nano w/ camera opens a lot of demographic doors. They will sell very well, and yes you will see many people opt for the generic on board camera rather than bringing along the clunky extra hardware that "only takes pictures."

Remember, Printer/Scanner/Copiers don't do any of those functions well, but they still selllllllll.

Agreed, my first gen iPhone's camera is very disappointing and I only rarely use it because of the low quality. I'm hoping the 3Gs will be an improvement. A quality camera/microphone in the iPod Touch is a winner! I hope Apple incorporate a flash for indoors. They have to be working on it and has to be part of the iPod's roadmap, just not necessarily the next update.

Regards
  • Reply 17 of 40
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, my first gen iPhone's camera is very disappointing and I only rarely use it because of the low quality. I'm hoping the 3Gs will be an improvement. A quality camera/microphone in the iPod Touch is a winner! I hope Apple incorporate a flash for indoors. They have to be working on it and has to be part of the iPod's roadmap, just not necessarily the next update.

Regards

its just a incremental improvement. Seems like apple wants to improve it a little, and definitely leave room for the next upgrade. wish they did more.

Apple ought to have done the following for the iphone 3gs and the new upgrade

1- 5+ megapixel camera

2- led flash

3- image stabilization

4- swapable batteries.

Sorry, just wanted to give you honest feedback. It would be neat of to differentiate the ipod touch apple offered a real camera. not the same thing they offered for the iphone 3gs
  • Reply 18 of 40
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    It seems cool, hopefully it will happen. I also hope it's as good as the 3MP iPhone 3GS camera or better. Wish we could be like the korean phones with 5 or 8 MP. \
  • Reply 19 of 40
    mfagomfago Posts: 24member
    How about all of the people who cannot have a camera at work? They already cannot buy an iPhone, but now they might be relegated to an iPod Shuffle? Time to buy a few extra iPod Touches I guess...
  • Reply 20 of 40
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Hopefully they add a microphone too.

While I'm not sure about the iPod nano, the iPod touch is certainly capable of video recording, so unless they think people will be satisfied shooting silent films, they will include a mic.