Time to startup in OS X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Don't know because I never reboot. I seriously can't remember the last time I rebooted. And when I do, it takes a while because it means I had an unclean shutdown so it's fsck'ing the disk, so it wouldn't be an accurate assessment of the actual startup time.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I think mine boots in about 70-odd seconds, although seeing as it's now gone super-stable for me (touch wood), I haven't had to boot X in nearly a month...
  • Reply 23 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>When I boot my MDD 867 MHz with Jaguar (10.2.1) and 1 GB of ram, it takes about 70 seconds on a partition and more than 2 minutes on another partition. Both partitions have a similar structure. Why this huge time difference ?

How much time is Jaguar taking to boot on your system ? The best I have is 70 seconds.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What the heck is an "MDD 867"?!?!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

<strong>What the heck is an "MDD 867"?!?!</strong><hr></blockquote>"Mirrored Drive Door" is the code name for Apple's current line of PowerMac G4s that have, well, mirrored drive doors. This has been fairly general knowledge since August. The "867" refers to the processor speed.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    If you own an Adaptec PCI SCSI adapter, models -AVA-2906 or AVA-2903CU - then under Mac OS X v10.2.1 your cards are fully supported.

You do not need to install drivers for those cards, they come built into the OS (v10.2.1 and later).
  • Reply 26 of 33
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    [quote]Originally posted by mikerally:

<strong>If you own an Adaptec PCI SCSI adapter, models -AVA-2906 or AVA-2903CU - then under Mac OS X v10.2.1 your cards are fully supported.

You do not need to install drivers for those cards, they come built into the OS (v10.2.1 and later).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure about this ? When I insert a MO disk in my APS SCSI drive, it doesn't mount on the desktop. I have to restart in OS 9 to use my drive (it's working well there, but not in OS X).
  • Reply 27 of 33
    What utility should I use to mount SCSI devices on the OS X desktop ?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>All you uptime snobs haven't installed Carracho/Carracho Server. Brad? It hard crashes OS X like nobody's business daily, sometimes twice in 10 minutes. Ouch. I'm getting Jaguar tomorrow, we'll see if that helps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? I have carracho server + client running all day and I can't remember if I've ever crashed Jaguar. I did get 2 kernel panicks in 10.1 due to some Audio library, I'm pretty sure those were not carracho related.

And no, I'm not a warez server, I use the server for hosting games I've written.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    I also get the grey screen for about a minute, and then when that is done it boots up pretty fast. However, I think the boot process overall is slower than it was in 10.1 due to the grey screen being up for so long.

Jag has been very stable for me though. I have not seen a hard crash in Jag yet on the two macs I use on a regular basis...

oops, I have seen one, and it was in the middle of a Diablo II game. I didn't even get to see the kernel panic screen when that happened. I just got the sound in a half-second loop and everything froze.

It seems that network stuff is a big part of the startup though.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    SCSI drivers for the Adaptec 2906? Mine has always worked great under OS X without any 3rd party drivers installed. Although, the only thing I use it for is an external zip drive and an internal Jazz drive.

Perhaps OS9 is letting you get away with an improperly configured SCSI chain? When my chain wasn't terminated, os9 worked fine while OSX would hang on boot... just thought I'd toss the possiblity out there.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Kali, Jaguar is not your problem. The 2906 card is FULLY, NATIVELY supported in OS X with no drivers. I've confirmed this more than once on different Macs with 2906 cards. I'd say the problem is your MO drive, and the lack of specific drivers for IT, not your SCSI card.

Next time you're on the Mac, and the MO drive is turned on and hooked up, go into System Profiler. If System Profiler sees your SCSI card, then obviously drivers aren't necessary. However to mount a volume from an MO drive on your desktop, I'm fairly sure you're going to need a driver for that.

In fact this issue with the MO drive may also be affecting your startup time, and it might even be causing some of your other problems. So I'd say start there and work your way back.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Thanks for the reply, Xaqtly .

About my MO, I now let it UNCONNECTED to the computer, until I need it. So right now, there's no external drive hooked to the computer. The Adaptec SCSI card (2906) is in its PCI slot, but nothing is hooked to it. Jaguar is working fine most of the time then, but I still have the full minute gray screen at startup.

When I need to mount some MO disk, I select my OS 9 for the next startup and shut down the computer. I connect the SCSI drive to its card and restart the computer. I now can mount the MO disk on the OS 9 desktop without any troubles. OS 9 is taking about 30 seconds to start from the "Bong" to the usable menu bar. To me, this is normal.

When I finished using the MO disk, I select the OS X for the next startup and I close the computer. I physically detach the OFF MO drive from its SCSI card and restart the computer in OS X.

This is the only process I've found to use my MO drive with the Adaptec SCSI card. Painfull, but it works (in OS 9).

When I start in OS X with the MO hooked to it, I'm uable to mount any MO, and the DiskTools I have are unable to "see" the MO drive, and I can't see the SCSI card in the computer profile.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>Yup, I was thinking about this. What SCSI card do you have ?

I'll have to email Adaptec to do some pressure to "adapt" their driver to Jaguar. Their driver is a year old.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Jaguar SCSI-drivers are version 1.1.0 and date from 27.7.2002.

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: Gulliver ]</p>