Apple may add micro projectors to iPhones, iPod touches

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    ... this news comes alongside the fact that the iPhone will soon be powered by a miniature nuclear reactor one-third the size of the iPhone's current battery, which will power the device for upwards of six months of expected average use. When it dies, customers can have their iPhone serviced by mail or in any Apple store for $29, which includes the installation of a new enriched uranium cartridge and the disposal of the nuclear waste cartridge. Use of internal projector and laser keyboard may require more frequent Apple Genius Nuke Service.

Coming next June... iPhone 3G N
  • Reply 42 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Another "ain't gonna happen" moment, fixed in time... The only likely near-term change will be a camera (either still or video) for iPod touch. For the iPhone, a further upgrade might consist of... oh, I don't know.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Micro-projector accessories by the end of the year? Sure.

This. I see no reason for this to be rushed into "built in" when the first third party projector w/ iPhone app has yet to even debut.

I hope we do a see a mini projector that connects via 30pin and has an app for controlling the projector itself. Soon.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This. I see no reason for this to be rushed into "built in" when the first third party projector w/ iPhone app has yet to even debut.

I hope we do a see a mini projector that connects via 30pin and has an app for controlling the projector itself. Soon.

http://cultofmac.com/mili-pro-micro-...eptember/12257

Supposed to ship in September.

• Reply 45 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That is pretty cool looking. I can?t imagine that it will be too much longer before we have an excessive amount of attachments for the iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Cool, but not the device that would part me from my money. For one thing, the resolution just isn't enough, and of course we have to question the brightness of the image. For a device like this to be compelling (IMO) it needs at least XVGA resolution and maybe 1,000 lumens minimum. Combine that with the ability to display Keynote slides directly from the iPhone or iPod, and you've got something every road warrior would commit a felony to own.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I call bs

micro projectors are 2-3x the size of the iphone so to build it in is buts, but I would not be shocked to see a projector dock.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    otherwise known as a plant or "puff" piece.

Quote:

Nokia, Samsung and Apple

Yeah, I don't think so. Puff, fluff, puff.

Better. batteries.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Apple DOES get it. It's incremental. Could have had oled screens in the 3gs.. why not? have to have bait for the next go-round. Incredibly frustrating but unquestionably effective none the less.

Your answer in general is correct, I believe. However, there are more factors than that. Apple will not go to OLED screens while a) the supply is not stable (multiple suppliers in sufficient quantities); b) unless it runs out of more urgent hardware upgrade priorities, so as to keep the more aesthetic improvements below functional ones; c) to allow cutting edge competitors to eat the headwind of early adoption costs and cripple their margins while Apple maintains theirs; d) validate the direction of hardware improvements by opening up a new hardware direction where they can be the main dictator (think NAND Flash RAM)

There are probably other reasons, but these seem most obvious to me.

Really, it's not worth being on the bleeding edge. Apple will adopt the technology in good time.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    1) No way in hell Apple will fit a "pico projector" in the even-more-slim form factor of a future iPhone.

2) Even given the fact that these are for ad-hoc, recreational use, these tiny projectors have truly pathetic brightness, poor contrast, low resolution, poor color reproduction, etc.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Too much hype in these devices. Seriously! I'm not using a projector at home and they're pretty damn good right now, why the hell would I on a bus?

Don't get me wrong, it's neat and I can see myself showing my grandmother photos on a wall, but...

Everyone and their brother is racing to the market with them and when it becomes an over-saturated niche market I'll laugh when the little companies like Microvision fail. One of those few times in my life I'll enjoy something I shouldn't.

In part I'll admit because I know someone at Microvision who, threw me under a bus let's just say. Friendship and doing the right thing, how little they are worth to too many.

Nevertheless I do feel it is bound to be a niche, and bound to be over-saturated. Flexible screens and OLED, people like solids.