Remember, Printer/Scanner/Copiers don't do any of those functions well

You are mistaken.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Hopefully they add a microphone too.

That would be nice too.

I'm hoping they'll give the iPod Touch a better camera with more zoom, higher megapixels, and a light. The iPod Touch always gets the higher RAM footprint than the iPhone so having a better camera wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Also, I think it is about time the iPod Nano became the iPod Touch Nano. Get the iPhone OS on there. Isn't it more cost effective with development to have one iPod OS?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That would be nice too.

I'm hoping they'll give the iPod Touch a better camera with more zoom, higher megapixels, and a light. The iPod Touch always gets the higher RAM footprint than the iPhone so having a better camera wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Also, I think it is about time the iPod Nano became the iPod Touch Nano. Get the iPhone OS on there. Isn't it more cost effective with development to have one iPod OS?

Absolutely not. The iPod touch's screen is small enough as it is; who would want something even tinier??
  • Reply 24 of 40
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

iPod Touch is big enough for a camera, but a nano is definitely too small. However, something need to be added to all iPods to keep them from being obsolete. Everyone will never have an iPhone , even at $99. And if there is going to be camera on anything, it has to be iPod Touch and Classic, not nano.

have you seen some of the camera phones?

the iPod nano could get thicker due to the camera, but that's it.

plus Apple can put a crappy camera, and it'll still sell

the Nintendo DSi has a 0.5 mega pixel camera.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    The new Touch needs 64GB of memory too.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    nli10nli10 Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

the Nintendo DSi has a 0.5 mega pixel camera.

DSi has two 0.3 MP cameras actually which are still 4 times the resolution of the screen that they are used on so more than adequate.

The low light problems are more concerning.

More and more I'm wanting a decent 10MP fully featured Fuji camera with GPS picture tagging that I can use to text. I don't use many of the 'phone' parts of my phone anymore.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I am not sure that I understand this. Is it saying here that people would leave their camera home when they would have a camera in their iPod? Everybody with an iPod already carries a cell phone and these all have a camera, sometimes even better than the one offered by Apple, so I don't see the logic here.

Actually not everybody has a camera in their phone. I'm just saying. Some of us have cheap ($30 to replace) phone from Verizon because you'd have to be stupid to buy an iPhone when the iPod Touch is far superior.

For those people who think they need to be connected everywhere. You don't. Although your brain is saying I do, I do. Your logic should tell you better. "Should" being the key word there.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The current nano is apparently based around the same SoC as the iPod Touch, but maybe running slower for battery life. This was a big step up from the older SoC in the previous iPod nanos.

It isn't out of this world to therefore assume that it can easily run iPhone OS. Indeed the current iPod nano could be running the simpler iPod nano UI on top of a stripped down iPhone OS - has anyone done any nano firmware investigation?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

The current nano is apparently based around the same SoC as the iPod Touch, but maybe running slower for battery life. This was a big step up from the older SoC in the previous iPod nanos.

It isn't out of this world to therefore assume that it can easily run iPhone OS. Indeed the current iPod nano could be running the simpler iPod nano UI on top of a stripped down iPhone OS - has anyone done any nano firmware investigation?

I think it may still uses the iPod OS, which was originally designed to run on much slower, older HW, and doesn?t require the frameworks and such of iPhone OS X, so I think even at slower speeds the Nano could include a camera in the same vein that older cellphones included a camera.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xabhishek View Post

If you hold it like a regular camera, you wont hide the lens. But I wonder whether this would make it any more appealing. How powerful a camera could they add. Just another one of those lenses used in sub $100 phones would make it useless.

I'm not having a fit for my next iPod to be able to take pictures, but it adds differentiation from other players relatively inexpensively -- $10 unit cost -- and could be a trojan horse for iPhoto, Mobile Me and Macs, i.e., extend the halo to other points in Apple's brands.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    lopsidedlopsided Posts: 20member
    The iPod nano is especially popular for kids and teens. Adding a low-end camera to the nano for this group would be very popular. The teens are probably used to crappy cell-phone cameras or cheap digital cameras, so they won't have a problem with what Apple would put in the nano.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nli10 View Post

DSi has two 0.3 MP cameras actually which are still 4 times the resolution of the screen that they are used on so more than adequate.

The low light problems are more concerning.

More and more I'm wanting a decent 10MP fully featured Fuji camera with GPS picture tagging that I can use to text. I don't use many of the 'phone' parts of my phone anymore.

I should have checked, I posted from vague memories. The nano has an even smaller screen, so a smell lens with a small sensor can work well enough for most people. Not sure about the resolution, but the nano does seem to have more pixel density.

I have a DS Lite so I can testify to that, and if I'm not mistaken, the DSi has a 10% larger screen but same resolution as the DS Lite.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopsided View Post

The iPod nano is especially popular for kids and teens. Adding a low-end camera to the nano for this group would be very popular. The teens are probably used to crappy cell-phone cameras or cheap digital cameras, so they won't have a problem with what Apple would put in the nano.

I agree that young kids would love a camera in the nano, but teens would not. Teens spend their entire day with one hand on their cell phone. Unless the iPod magically gains the ability to upload photos, the camera will have no appeal to that particular demographic.

I'm looking forward to the new iPod touch and having a camera in it would ensure I take it with me more often than I do now. It wouldn't replace a real camera for important events, but there are moments when I wish I could snap a shot and can't.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    "The new Touch needs 64GB of memory too."

+2!!! 64 Gig FTW!!!
  • Reply 35 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm waiting for the next iPod Touch update and a camera is VERY importante to me.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    edwardryuedwardryu Posts: 26member
    that's good news. actually, it makes sense since iphone 3gs has capability to record video and of course photo. I guess that new ipod touch will have the same lens and video capability. I don't really take any picture by my iphone because quality is bad whatsoever. but in terms of convenience, well, I can use it. god. I still have plenty of time to end contract for iphone 3G. I don't have to be hurry anyway. well, I am sold no matter what. I buy Apple new product all the time.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

"The new Touch needs 64GB of memory too."

+2!!! 64 Gig FTW!!!

Is that a viable option yet? Usually the doubling of capacity with iPods has come from price reductions along with the shrinking size of the chips. I think that 32GB at the current chip size is still the most viable which may make a 64GB Touch only an option if they use 2x32GB chips. I?d love to be proven wrong on the size/cost-per-GB.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is that a viable option yet? Usually the doubling of capacity with iPods has come from price reductions along with the shrinking size of the chips. I think that 32GB at the current chip size is still the most viable which may make a 64GB Touch only an option if they use 2x32GB chips. I?d love to be proven wrong on the size/cost-per-GB.

I think they'll have a 64GB iPod due to chip density improvements but it may be a premium over standard $499. We'll see.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

its just a incremental improvement. Seems like apple wants to improve it a little, and definitely leave room for the next upgrade. wish they did more.

Apple ought to have done the following for the iphone 3gs and the new upgrade

1- 5+ megapixel camera

2- led flash

3- image stabilization

4- swapable batteries.

Sorry, just wanted to give you honest feedback. It would be neat of to differentiate the ipod touch apple offered a real camera. not the same thing they offered for the iphone 3gs

It isn't just an incremental improvement. It is incremental in the sense that it went up to 3.2 MP from 2 MP, but the autofocus is a huge improvement over fixed focus. With a lens as small as the iphones, I doubt packing more pixels into the camera would offer much or any improvement. Reading specs (which anyone can do) will lead you to believe that it is only an incremental upgrade, but comparing the results will show a massive improvement. Of course, it is still a camera on a thin phone, it can only be so good.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It isn't just an incremental improvement. It is incremental in the sense that it went up to 3.2 MP from 2 MP, but the autofocus is a huge improvement over fixed focus. With a lens as small as the iphones, I doubt packing more pixels into the camera would offer much or any improvement. Reading specs (which anyone can do) will lead you to believe that it is only an incremental upgrade, but comparing the results will show a massive improvement. Of course, it is still a camera on a thin phone, it can only be so good.

Why no zoom?