Third-gen iPod touch tracked in online logs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Proof of a major update to the iPod touch has solidified with online stats now showing a mystery iPod 3,1 device using apps.

Analytics firm Pinch Media, which spotted the iPhone 3GS roaming online last year, now says it's seen the device string for the new iPod multiple times since April.

At least "a few dozen" different examples have been spotted and have all exhibited a familiar pattern of running about two dozen major, frequently used third-party apps. Few common threads exist other than the apps' popularity, Pinch says. The usage pattern repeats the one seen for the iPhone 3GS and directly suggests that Apple is testing compatibility with the new iPod touch to guard against any show-stopping flaws before the device goes live.

Signs of iPod 3,1 were first seen in early iPhone 3.0 betas, where the hardware ID was shown alongside present and, at the time, unreleased Apple handhelds. As before, Apple's naming scheme alludes to a substantial overhaul rather than just a minor refresh: the first number always refers to a major generational leap while the second refers to less conspicuous updates. Today's second-generation iPod touch is, accordingly, usually listed as iPod 2,1.

Determining when this new iPod touch will be released based on this data is more difficult. The iPhone 3GS was seen as early as October 2008 but wasn't released until eight months later -- something unlikely to repeat itself with the iPod, which normally borrows components from the iPhone that preceded it and needs less initial testing as a result. In the short two-year history of Apple's touchscreen devices, the iPod touch has always been updated in a special music-themed event held in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Maybe Christmas? It's gonna be 10" widescreen, glossy white. With a built in d-pad, two buttons and F*ck PSP written in hot pink below the screen. iPod FTW!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Likely to receive the same CPU and GPU bumps the iPhone 3GS got. We'll probably also see a video camera built-in, simply because there's no reason not to have one (and having more devices for camera-centric apps to run on is always a plus).
  • Reply 3 of 34
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    My Guess:

Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 535

256MB RAM

16/32/64GB configurations

Microphone

Camera

Silent Switch

Voice Control
  • Reply 4 of 34
    question:

so iphone 3gs is 1,3

right?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodearth View Post

question:

so iphone 3gs is 1,3

right?

3GS is 2,1

3G is 1,2

and original 2G is 1,1
  • Reply 6 of 34
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    The iPhone 3G is 1,2 and the iPhone 3G[S] is 2,1. There is also an iPhone 3,1 that has yet to materialize. Note there are both iPod 2,2 and iPod 3,1 references. Maybe we'll get a larger media device along with the traditional iPod touch based off the iPhone.

0x1290 iPhone1,1 - iPhone

0x1291 iPod1,1 - iPod touch

0x1292 iPhone1,2 - iPhone mkII (3G)

0x1293 iPod2,1 - iPod touch mkII

0x1294 iPhone2,1 - iPhone mkIII (3G[S])

0x1295 iProd0,1 - ???

0x1296 iPod2,2 - iPod touch mkIII ?

0x1297 iPhone3,1 - iPhone mkIV ?

0x1298 iFPGA - test device

0x1299 iPod3,1 - iPod touch mkIV ?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    I would like VOIP, call any phone number from any open WiFi hotspot.

All native and integrated nicely, a iPhone minus the $70-$120 a month AT&T %*#$!!!
  • Reply 8 of 34
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    I'm thinking the September announcement will look something like this:

iPod wide -- the long-rumored 7-inch tablet; looks like a touch but bigger; marketed as internet device/video player/book reader ($599/$499)

iPod touch -- video camera on the top two models ($399/$299/$199)

iPod nano -- one model, 16 GB ($149)

iPod shuffle -- colors ($49)

No more iPod classic.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

No more iPod classic.

ipod classic still has a market... even if they up the ipod touch to 64 GB which they probably will do, high capacity still needs to be a viable option in the ipod lineup. yes, higher than 64 GB.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    iphone1982iphone1982 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I would like VOIP, call any phone number from any open WiFi hotspot.

All native and integrated nicely, a iPhone minus the $70-$120 a month AT&T %*#$!!!

1. They will not upgrade the camera. it would make all 3GS (real revenue) users mad.

2. It will not offer VOIP with Skype. It competes with AT&T.

3. Guessing here but I doubt the processor will be any stronger. The current one is problematic (story has already been .covered)

4. Apple better have OLED. It is and has been done. Apple would be smart to follow the puck this time.

My buddy just picked up an iPod Touch for his son (8 years old) he thinks it's the greatest thing in the world.

He's 8.

The Average Buyer isn't 8 years old.

My camera on my iPhone sucks.

Regardless of my posts, I love the iPhone/Touch, I hate Apple and AT&T for not bringing it to its full potential.

The Palm Pre is front runner right now in my opinion. Apple, please get off your ass and get multi tasking on the phone/Touch.

Notifications are not enough. That's already been done in the 1990's and the camer sucks even on the 3GS. Yes, 10 years later they got video (who wants to edit video on their phone?).

The Camera Sucks and is not even close to standards these days.

Too many phones blow the iPhone out of the Universe. Apple has the App Store.

Every major phone vendor out there has the apps I want.

I don't need the 24,999 Crapple Apps.

I want an app that isn't a GAME. That is Apple's cruch now. They want a gaming phone.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

But Apple is prodding AT&T with a sharp stick in the rectum lately for their slow arse network, etc etc.

iPod Touch with VOIP/Skype native would be perfect and they would sell millions....

The poor mans jesus phone...excellent for this down economy.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    afalknerafalkner Posts: 74member
    Anone else think they might drop the pod from the name and just go with itouch? Then make it availible in 2 sizes-the current size and a larger 7 inch model?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

1. They will not upgrade the camera. it would make all 3GS (real revenue) users mad.

3. Guessing here but I doubt the processor will be any stronger. The current one is problematic (story has already been .covered)

4. Apple better have OLED. It is and has been done. Apple would be smart to follow the puck this time.

My buddy just picked up an iPod Touch for his son (8 years old) he thinks it's the greatest thing in the world.

He's 8.

Regardless of my posts, I love the iPhone/Touch, I hate Apple and AT&T for not bringing it to its full potential.

The Palm Pre is front runner right now in my opinion. Apple, please get off your ass and get multi tasking on the phone/Touch.

Notifications are not enough. That's already been done in the 1990's and the camer sucks even on the 3GS. Yes, 10 years later they got video (who wants to edit video on their phone?).

I want an app that isn't a GAME. That is Apple's cruch now. They want a gaming phone.

The Pre?? I have yet to read a good review of the thing in real use situations. I've heard that you get a 2-3 hour battery life if you use the multi-tasking much. I've read that return rates are high because the hardware keeps falling apart. And I've read that the couple dozen apps that are available are pretty drab. No thanks. I'm sure Sprint will sell plenty to their customers, but it's not something that's going to draw customers away from the iPhone in any quantity.

In addition, I find the camera to be pretty reasonable on my 3GS. The megapixel count is low, but the optics seem to be decent and the sensor has surprisingly reasonable response in lower light. It doesn't match my Canon, but it's also always there in my pocket. It's possible it could be better, but it certainly doesn't "suck".

As for Skype, it's already on the App Store! Go download it if you want to make free calls on wi-fi.

It's also a no-brainer that they'll upgrade the processor. It'd probably be cheaper to use the more powerful processor in the 3GS because of economies of scale. And I doubt Apple is worried about making 3GS users mad-- after all, the last iPod Touch had a much faster processor than the iPhone 3G and no one complained.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

But Apple is prodding AT&T with a sharp stick in the rectum lately for their slow arse network, etc etc.

iPod Touch with VOIP/Skype native would be perfect and they would sell millions....

The poor mans jesus phone...excellent for this down economy.

Apple knew it going into the release of the 3GS. Who's to blame Apple or AT&T?

The contract had to have an out for new releases of the phone (I'm a dumbass sales person but I would have had plans for future products (Apple & Steve isn't the naive).

Again Never going to happen Apple caved to AT&T. Apple had the strong hand in this and didn't choose to use it.

The poor man?s Jesus phone...excellent for this down economy.[/QUOTE]

The iPhone is not a "Jesus Phone". It's a tool to do "stuff".

There are many other phones out that can run multiple apps (including GPS) that doesn?t harm the phone/Touch.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The Pre?? I have yet to read a good review of the thing in real use situations. I've heard that you get a 2-3 hour battery life if you use the multi-tasking much...

I would guess you need to read more news than Apple sites. You can "Push" the Pre for everthing including Pandora and get 8 hours use.

The really sad part is, this is Palm's first Rev of the phone. We are on Gen 3.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:

so the pre is a front runner because it supports third party multitasking? Give me a break. You probably think that Vista is better than Leopard because it can run on more different pc's than Leopard. The multitasking that the iPhone now supports is sufficient and most efficient of its kind todate. Multitasking will come to the iPhone when the technology is ready for it. Sorry but the pre is Palms best yet weak attempt to stay afloat. The Pre will only delay the inevitable. Innovate or sink is and has always been the law of technology.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Innovate or sink is and has always been the law of technology.

How does Microsoft explain themselves?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    I bet it will be here before Christmas. Oh, my God! That means I will be asked to replace my sons' for the 3rd time. That definitely I don't like.

Innovation can't be stopped. At Apple, NEW is not new. It is everyday event. Get ready, Apple is about to kick ass again. And this time, PSP is about to experience what happened to WALKMAN. Quote me on that! And as for wannabe, copycat Microsoft Zune, the death knell is about to ring. Quote me on that too.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

He's 8.

what a troll! haha, dont even want to be discreet about it huh? dont even respond to this guy

anyway..

apple will keep the same chip but just bump up the MHz like they have done in the past. they'll add the camera bc they'll sell more ipods and more apps (the 3GS camera seems pretty nice to me). OLED would be cool but i dont think they need to add it yet.

edit: and he joined in june 2009!! hahaha! and he calls himself "iPhone..." for cred, this guy is hilarious! and bitter
  • Reply 20 of 34
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

How does Microsoft explain themselves?

Well your statement implies that ms doesn't innovate. I hate to shatter your world view but they do. Even though they innovate less than Apple does. They do innovate. Take their web development framework for instance. Apple is no where close to what ms has. Silverlight is a beautiful enviroment to develop client side web applications. I'm still waiting for Apple to make a good web developing tool like ms has. Office, no need to elaborate further. And if you haven't noticed that in all the area's where they don't innovate enough or well enough they are loosing market. MS is still loosing market on the OS side. Mobile as well as desktop. If they don't do something and remain in this position they will sink. Yes the Titanic can sink. So ms is a beautiful example of a sinking ship. But sinking doesn't happen over night. So if they don't mend their ship and make more water they will sink.