4GB memory limit and snow leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i have a mac book pro ( 15 inch, 2.4ghz, late 08)

the memory limit is 4 GB. Is this an OS limit which will be blown away with snow leopard, or is it a hardware limit, which will remain regardless of 64bit OS?

other MBPs have 6 or 8GB limits, which makes me think they may be hardware related

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Hardware related. The Mac Pros run the same OS but can handle 32GB of RAM
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicoli_nicolivich View Post

i have a mac book pro ( 15 inch, 2.4ghz, late 08)

the memory limit is 4 GB. Is this an OS limit which will be blown away with snow leopard, or is it a hardware limit, which will remain regardless of 64bit OS?

other MBPs have 6 or 8GB limits, which makes me think they may be hardware related

4GB RAM is already overkill for 99% of users, nicoli. You'll never need more unless you run a high-volume business in photography or video, or an audio recording studio. Do you?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'd LOVE to have 4GB of RAM.

No more shutting apps down (at least for the bunch of small ones I run)

Of course when I get 4GB i'll pine for 8GB and then 16GB and then 32GB.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'd LOVE to have 4GB of RAM.

Every MBP now ships with 4GB standard. I've got one. Haven't touched its RAM limits yet, with 7 major apps and 10 to 20 minor ones running at the same time. I'm a medium heavy user.

Quote:

No more shutting apps down (at least for the bunch of small ones I run)

Haven't done that since the mid-nineties!

See if you can create a 'RAMdisk'. A few GB of HD space that OSX' memory management is tricked into thinking that it is more RAM so it overflows excess data into it.

Of course it isn't real RAM so it'll be very slow. But it is enough RAM! So that your apps can keep humming along happily, if not lightning fast.

Quote:

Of course when I get 4GB i'll pine for 8GB and then 16GB and then 32GB.

Of course.

Until the day you realize you really only ever actually needed half of all that expensive RAM in your Mac for the tasks it needed to do. And what nice things you could have done with all that money. It's a rude wake-up call, and a sobering, cleansing experience. Almost Buddhist.