Using DSL vs Cable connect

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Will iMac 20 hookup to DSL in same manner as Cable?

With Cable, the Mac hookups almost automatic...the connection will be direct connect with ethernet cable

The iMac 20 is G4 with OS 10.4.11

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switchfromdell View Post

Will iMac 20 hookup to DSL in same manner as Cable?

With Cable, the Mac hookups almost automatic...the connection will be direct connect with ethernet cable

The iMac 20 is G4 with OS 10.4.11

Thanks!

If you uninstall Windows from Bootcamp it should hook up.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

If you uninstall Windows from Bootcamp it should hook up.

What Windows? What BootCamp? I have Comcast and that is all I've ever used since my dial-up days. Rumor has it DSL is not as easy to config as cable Internet. I do suspect, Mac OS will make it a simpler process. I have spent countless hours with Comcast tech support. As long as I have signal to my modem from Comcast, I can figure things out better than they can. Before you switch, check out their (DSL provider) tech support pages on the web. Maybe call tech support, see how long it takes to talk to someone, and ask for a Mac trained rep.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    DSL typically requires PPoE which tells the DSL company who you are and that you paid your bill. Their modems typically handle this so you shouldn't have to worry but I have seen some DSL providers that require you to install this PPoE software on your computer. This in essence means you can't share the internet with more than one computer... unless you offload the PPoE to a wireless router that supports it. Call and asked questions about whether or not you NEED to install any software or if that is just optional
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Most modern DSL modem will connect the same way. Older modems will require you to enter your user name and password on your mac the first time you connect, otherwise it is the same.