Nearly half of prospective smartphone buyers to choose iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Actually from a hardware perspective the 3GS is a big leap, performance has been doubled. Most of the components in the 3G were exactly the same as the original iPhone. The crucial difference that helped sell the 3G was being sold subsidized. $199 is a lot more attractive than $499.

Everyone I know who has an iphone has not bothered to upgrade due to the fact that they are waiting for the next device.

Sure speed wise its much faster, but nobody I know cares for games, and few are out yet that take advantage of the wizzy new processor, so the extra speed does not provide that wow factor.

The response I have had from existing 3g owners is, "hey the compass is pretty neat, when tom tom release an app i my ugrade, else I will wait for the next revision"
  • Reply 42 of 73
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree, I'm sure most 3G owners are satisfied, the 3GS isn't enough of an advancement to pay $399/$499. I'm not getting the 3GS either. I believe the primary reason is the fact that most of us cannot get the full subsidized price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Everyone I know who has an iphone has not bothered to upgrade due to the fact that they are waiting for the next device.

Sure speed wise its much faster, but nobody I know cares for games, and few are out yet that take advantage of the wizzy new processor, so the extra speed does not provide that wow factor.

The response I have had from existing 3g owners is, "hey the compass is pretty neat, when tom tom release an app i my ugrade, else I will wait for the next revision"

• Reply 43 of 73
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I have about 16 GB of music in my library, and I know many people have a lot more (I consider my collection rather paltry). 32 GB is perfect for me, I have some free space so I can put a couple movies on there, download whatever apps I want and not have to worry about shuffling things around to make room (although I have enough movies on my mac to fill it and more if I wanted to). 16 GB wouldn't quite be enough.

That may all be true, but I hope you understand that you and those people you know are very very far onto the right edge of the bell curve.

Edit: in case you wanted a source: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4144585.ece

The did a large academic study and found that the average iPod user had 1700 songs on their device. That works out to 10 GB at 6 MB per song, which judging by my collection, is a larger than average file size.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:

I'm guessing those people don't use their phones very heavily then. The speed upgrade speeds up EVERYTHING by a lot, not just games. While I agree that $399/$499 is a lot, when the price drops to $199 for the 16 GB I think a huge chunk of people decide that it's easily worth it. Your friends think the compass is neat but haven't mentioned the autofocus camera and video capability? And the smudge resistant screen? These people need to get a 3GS in their hands and THEN see what they say.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    forcequitforcequit Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I haven't see the first bill yet.

I've had a few issues with connections but nothing major. It took about 3 hours to be fully up and running. The 3G Safari is sometimes slow but as my friend who's had the iPhone 2years told me - Verizon owns NY.

I love this phone- the camera and video paired with the OS is a dream. I had checked out other Verizon phones ( I was up for a new one) and while they had cameras and video - it was the simplicity in the use that Apple brings that tipped me. I knew I had to have this device eventually and coupled with my b'day I got it Friday. As it was July 3rd most people had fled NY and only 3 people were in the line- it maintainted a 10 deep level for the 45 mins I was there.

I also am diggin the MMS texting on this phone more than any other phone I've ever had. The iChat like display for texting is great.

I just discovered yesterday the button for the vibrate is really not a button (I kept pushing it ) but a slide latch.

I also found an amazing case the next day at a new AT&T store in my hood. It's called a ifrogz and it too is amazing. It's both ergonomic and non slippery.

So to summarize, I reconcile all my prior posts by the fact that the new device itself with that great OS ( I was primed on the Touch) and App store overrides the AT&T issues here in NY. So far, I love it!

Why do I feel this is a "jump the shark" moment?
  • Reply 46 of 73
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If anything this article shows a troubling trend for Apple. Last year at the peak of interest, 56% said they were interested in the then new iPhone 3G. This year at the peak of interest, that same number is only 44%. Both times of year all the Apple buzz manages to crater RIM interest but it is stuck at the same 23% number. The lowering of Apple peak interest correlates very strongly to the increase in Palm interest.

I'd be worried.

First, this is old news. It was reported on at least 2 weeks ago as part of RBC Mike Abramsky's note, since RBC has been co-sponsoring this Changewave survey. Changewave is just now publishing its results to the broader public. It seems to me that this is market manipulation.

Second, as for the comment quoted above, when you take into account that 14.4% of their sample is now interested in buying a smartphone and couple that with the 44% for iPhone, you find that 6.3% of the total sample is interested in iPhone, which is the highest ever. Last year, the 56% iPhone is coupled with 10.5% smartphone interest for a total of 5.9% interested in iPhone (which was the previous high).

And one could argue that the increase in Palm corresponds to the decrease in RIM, and likely reflects the many people who would not switch from Sprint to AT&T, and/or would not give up a physical keyboard.

Also, in June 2008, there was a 3% increase in smartphone interest (from 7.4 to 10.5), which correlates nicely with the 3% increase in iPhone (from 2.6 to 5.9). In June 2009, there is a 3% increase in smartphone interest, and it again correlates with the 3% increase in iPhone (from 3.4 to 6.3). Clearly, iPhone is significant in moving people from feature phones to smartphones.

As an Apple shareholder, I'm not worried, though in a year or two, Apple might think about having major upgrades twice a year instead of once a year. The 2nd upgrade could be a major software upgrade instead of a new hardware version.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Quote:

I can vouch for dat! 4 days and the love grows daily.

I didn't believe your post in an earlier thread that you got an iPhone; thought you were pulling our legs ... but I guess i should believe you now.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:

The $99 will hurt Apple's margins which will make people worry about the stock.(not high profit) The difference between building the two is very little in terms of cost. Apple had very strong sales out of the gate and that is awesome. That chart doesn't show any difference in the trend from last year where we kept having to read about demand trailing off throughout the year.

Apple is still getting about $470 per 8GB 3G from AT&T; only $100 less than for the 16GB 3GS. (Source: AT&T announced that there was no material change to its financial projections when the $99 phone was announced.) Given the decreasing component costs for flash memory and processor, and the fact that it has fewer and older chips than the 3GS, I think margins are actually better on the 3G than the new 3GS.

Quote:

Because the headline is completely misleading. If it said half of smartphone buyers in JUNE, it might have a point. The real point is as you intelligently note. There is huge initial demand that is met and then trails off. Also it notes they will buy an iPhone with no proof that interest leads to the sell being made. To do this, they should include a chart that shows the quarterly sales figures for RIM, Apple and PALM and correlates the interest to the sales.

The correlation is there as you can compare Apple's 2007 units (which was almost all US) and then AT&T's 2008 iPhone announcements with these US survey numbers.

Quote:

I'm very worried for Apple right now. The Pre is far from perfect but it is shocking how quickly someone who is not Apple rolls out products. They have already announced the GSM version of the Pre rolling out in the fall on O2 and Movistar by end of year. AT&T is supposed to get the $99 version of the WebOS phone called the EOS in the second half of 2009. Then at the beginning of 2010 it will be on Verizon.

Head to head against the iPhone 3GS, the Pre is already having trouble if recent reports are accurate. Unless they lower pricing, the Pre will have the same troubles on O2 and Movistar. Palm will get another crack with the EOS (whatever it is!) but can they beat Apple on pricing without dying on margins? Apple has the best supply chain, better or best pricing on smartphone components (due to volume including common iPod parts), and likely the best industry subsidies from AT&T (due to iPhone's proven ability to entice new subscribers).
  • Reply 49 of 73
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

You know, you reach a point where you give in (AT&T) because the device at this point is unparalleled. The OS was always fantastic but paired with the new battery/camera/video tipped it over the edge for me.

But WOW, 1 in 4 or 25% of potential purchasers are holding out solely because Apple is partnering with AT&T! Again, WOW!

I don't know about AT&T with regards to my lack of purchasing an iPhone. Lord I do wish I can get one, however, the economy has crimped my income, and I can't commit to a new contract and double the amount of my cell phone fee, whereas, now I can quit without penalty from my current provider (T-Mobile) and only pay low 40's a month.

But I do want one.... droooollll.... best Homer Simpson voice... Hhmmmm.... iPhoonnnne...
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

But WOW, 1 in 4 or 25% of potential purchasers are holding out solely because Apple is partnering with AT&T! Again, WOW!

Remember those 25% are the people who have held out for two years now. If you include all the people who did switch already for the iPhone, the percentage of iPhone-interested people who won't switch because of ATT probably falls below 5%.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

So far, I love it!

Kasper - Can you check the server's IP logs for teckstud's account? I have reason to believe his account has been hacked.

It must be... what else could it be? Leaving lucid, well-thought-out, verifiable, on-the-field testing for more than five minutes!

*gulp* I might have to take a step back, tip my hat and actually say "Welcome aboard"??!!

If the sun is shining anywhere in NYC from all that rain, it must be right over teckstud.

Where's my kool-aid??!!

So did you finally decide too that having a magnetometer (compass) was actually a pretty cool idea???
  • Reply 52 of 73
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So did you finally decide too that having a magnetometer (compass) was actually a pretty cool idea???

That's so funny you should ask- I was showing it off to a friend who has the prior 3G iPhone. We were walking down a street in the East village and the way it was tracking our steps was wild. When the compass went to street level and showed us the building that we were standing in front of- he flipped! I think he's going to shell out the money earlier to upgrade than he was hoping too.

He also could not believe all the videos I shot of the fireworks over the Hudson on the 4th. They are pretty amazing- both in their detail and color saturation.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

The $99 will hurt Apple's margins which will make people worry about the stock.(not high profit) The difference between building the two is very little in terms of cost. Apple had very strong sales out of the gate and that is awesome. That chart doesn't show any difference in the trend from last year where we kept having to read about demand trailing off throughout the year.

NO NO

Apple still gets full price of $500 or so, the balance is subsidized By you know who.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

The $99 Model will be a world wide hit.

Well it might be if it was available world wide for that price
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leia View Post

definitely they will. for iphone is so influential and smart that it is reasonable for so many people decided to choose iphone. i heard that16GB white iphone 3GS has been sold out in some states. but an investigation showed that 20% people don't have the desire to purchase iphone as a result of AT&T.

20% of the people who still after two years haven't ALREADY switched from Verizon to get the iPhone.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Kasper - Can you check the server's IP logs for teckstud's account? I have reason to believe his account has been hacked.

Yeah, I'd like that confirmation, because it would be a signal that it's time to buy some more AAPL....
  • Reply 57 of 73
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, I'd like that confirmation, because it would be a signal that it's time to buy some more AAPL....

It's the TechStud..

epiphany |iˈpifənē|

noun ( pl. -nies)

the manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi (Matthew 2:1?12).

? the festival commemorating this on January 6.

? a manifestation of a divine or supernatural being.

? a moment of sudden revelation or insight.

Enz
  • Reply 58 of 73
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

The extra CPU was the wow factor tha convinced me to dip my toes in the iphone water. As a web browser it is now pretty much good enough and responsive enough that I haven't opened my laptop in a week. I've seen people even with 3g get frustrated at the speed. DOn't underestimate how much the extra speed affects the overall experience!
  • Reply 59 of 73
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That may all be true, but I hope you understand that you and those people you know are very very far onto the right edge of the bell curve.

Edit: in case you wanted a source: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4144585.ece

The did a large academic study and found that the average iPod user had 1700 songs on their device. That works out to 10 GB at 6 MB per song, which judging by my collection, is a larger than average file size.

What about other files? Now that the iPhone has a passable camera for 'phone stills' and they are pushing video a lot more, the gigs will add up.

I am wildly optimistic about high quality games hitting the iPhone once some developers take advantage of the dock connector APIs and release a gaming dpad for the gamers among us... High quality games will take more and more space.

I am also hoping for a 64gig phone...
  • Reply 60 of 73
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I'm still a happy user of the original 2g. I was close to getting the 3gs but decided to hold off for th next hardware revision. The thought of multicore was enought for me to decide it's worth the wait. Even without it, it will probably be time for it. Maybe a 64gig device? It will be an interesting wait.