Chrome OS may push Google CEO off of Apple's board

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple and Google have had a warm relationship for years, but the unveiling of Chrome OS on Wednesday may leave Apple with no choice but to oust Google chief Eric Schmidt from its board due to a conflict of interest.

Veteran journalist Tom Krazit warns that the two Silicon Valley companies will face an inevitable collision once the new web-based operating system is released and it has to compete against Mac OS X, rendering it more and more unreasonable for Schmidt to help oversee Apple's broader strategy.

The CEO is already in hot water with regulators as he frequently has to recuse himself from board meetings that involve iPhone plans, many of which would clash with Google's own attempts to promote its Android mobile operating system. Even though he makes this exception and has been adamant that the two companies don't occupy the same markets, the FTC has been investigating the Apple-Google link for a possible violation of antitrust laws through unfair collaboration. The companies are already known to be finding common ground as they both offer web browsers and, more recently, video services that involve commercially-produced, downloadable content.

With Chrome OS in place, Schmidt would not only have the obvious problem of conflicts in specific apps but with the original cornerstone of Apple's business and two out of three of the pillars that keep it running. Only board meetings discussing the iPod would be safe for him to attend, Krazit comments through CNET.

Apple and Google haven't yet discussed any of the implications for the new platform strategy. Unofficially, the software isn't thought to spark any near-term trouble: with the netbook as a primary target for Chrome OS and Apple deriding the category as unsuitable for the Mac name, few if any systems are liable to run one operating system and offer similar features as a computer running the other. Still, the similarity is close enough that calls are already being made for Schmidt to voluntarily resign from the Apple board to avoid butting heads with the US government any more than necessary.

"If Apple's board doesn't ask you do to so, please submit your resignation so both companies can free themselves of this obvious conflict of interest, and continue to develop the amazing products and services you have been separately creating," Krazit says.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

"unfair collaboration"

Huh?...
  • Reply 2 of 78
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Huh?...

Thank you so much for the useful post. \
  • Reply 3 of 78
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Ouch. That was one drawback to the GoogOS. He's outta there for sure. I hope Apple & Google stay friends enough to come up with some exciting potential collaborations, whatever they are.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Huh?...

against Microsoft. Not consumers.

"Consumers can go hang, but nobody had better hurt poor Microsoft." <-- government viewpoint, after some Microsoft lobbying
  • Reply 5 of 78
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Thank you so much for the useful post. \

huh!!
  • Reply 6 of 78
    surely Google and Apple staying friends and working together on their operating systems would benefit everyone... Safari Tabs on Top was genius and that was thanks to Google's Chrome... surely anything Google can do Apple will do shortly afterwards... but dangerous for Google to leave their OS as Open Source... but then again if we design and make it, we ain't going to complain... i just hope Apple provides support for Boot Camp on OS Chrome, sure it will beat Vista/Windows 7 (which i'm anticipating still won't be as powerful as OS X.6 and will still have the underlying problems like Vista especially with Viruses, Registry and basically just shite that makes Windows the way it is
  • Reply 7 of 78
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    I think this is a non-issue, as a web-based OS cannot possibly compete with OS X. To even suggest that they are in the same league is completely retarded. End of story.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post

OS Chrome, sure it will beat Vista/Windows 7

No, really it won't.

Google's "OS" is actually just a web browser. It's the Linux kernel with the Chrome browser on top; that's it. Any application you want to run will have to be web-based.

You know why the return rate of Linux-based netbooks was so high? It was because people found they couldn't run the software they wanted to run. So now, Windows owns the netbook market. Chrome is not going to change that. Unless Chrome undergoes a major alteration to its philosophy, it will flop.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    The whole thing is just mental masturbation on the part of the execs and will be much ago about nothing. Chrome will fail just like Android failed or is failing, like so many other Google "eternal beta" products.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

I think this is a non-issue, as a web-based OS cannot possibly compete with OS X. To even suggest that they are in the same league is completely retarded. End of story.

It's a non-issue today yes but you have to look towards the future. There will be a day where you can have Internet access everywhere and the bandwidth will be enough to operate apps like Photoshop and Final Cut through the web. Look at how far we've come in just ten years. We were at 28.8 Kbps modems and today we can stream HD. This isn't a plan for 2010 or 2011 for Google. This is for 15 or 20 years from now.

That being said right now there is little or anything that Chrome OS will have over OSX and what Apple can't adopt. It'll be funny if Schmidt is on the board as being a board member who would be absent from almost every single meeting.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Google's "OS" is actually just a web browser. It's the Linux kernel with the Chrome browser on top; that's it. Any application you want to run will have to be web-based.

You know why the return rate of Linux-based netbooks was so high? It was because people found they couldn't run the software they wanted to run. So now, Windows owns the netbook market. .. ..

You would think Google realize this but maybe they don't.

I suspect that Google will add a twist to make it different than just another Linux distro because that's unlikely to succeed. But what they do to distinguish Google OS from say Ubuntu, I don't know.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    meh, sounds like the ramblings of a rambling apple fanbois. ChromeOS and Apple have almost nothing in common.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Chrome will fail

Agreed.

Quote:

like Android failed or is failing

I think it's too early to pass judgement on Android.

Quote:

like so many other Google "eternal beta" products.

Didn't you hear the news? Many of Google's apps are no longer in beta!
  • Reply 14 of 78
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Good luck, Google! I love it when pundits think they know what is going on. Guess that's why Sun was right about the thin clients we all now use to run PhotoShop.

Oh, did I say PhotoShop? I meant GIMP, because it's free and works so much better!

And thank goodness no one use Exchange anymore what with all the other stuff out there.

Is that why Windows has dropped below 40% of the marketshare in the last year?

http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2009/0...-get-some.html
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You would think Google realize this but maybe they don't.

I suspect that Google will add a twist to make it different than just another Linux distro because that's unlikely to succeed. But what they do to distinguish Google OS from say Ubuntu, I don't know.

But that's the point. It's even worse than just another Linux distro. At least Linux has some applications. Chrome "OS", to the user, really is just a web browser and that's it. If you want to develop apps, they have to be web apps.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It's a non-issue today yes but you have to look towards the future. There will be a day where you can have Internet access everywhere and the bandwidth will be enough to operate apps like Photoshop and Final Cut through the web. Look at how far we've come in just ten years. We were at 28.8 Kbps modems and today we can stream HD. This isn't a plan for 2010 or 2011 for Google. This is for 15 or 20 years from now.

That being said right now there is little or anything that Chrome OS will have over OSX and what Apple can't adopt. It'll be funny if Schmidt is on the board as being a board member who would be absent from almost every single meeting.

You think Apple isn't considering the future? And let me just say that no company on the face of the Earth plans for 15-20 years down the road, especially the IT Industries.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

But that's the point. It's even worse than just another Linux distro. At least Linux has some applications. Chrome "OS", to the user, really is just a web browser and that's it. If you want to develop apps, they have to be web apps.

I hear you.

I have to believe that Google has some twist up their sleeve. I can't believe they're that dumb but time will tell.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Apple should be worried.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    It never made sense to me for Apple to have a board member who also competes in the smart phone market.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

It was because people found they couldn't run the software they wanted to run.

i have a feeling that in the real world this is down to the fact that, after 15 years of market monopolisation, M$ have the world believing that its software is indispensable. remember when IE came with an icon named "The Internet"? a lot of casual computer users do not know about alternatives to microsoft options and (after torturous experiences with M$ software, i would argue!) are even less willing to try. i think that breaking the microsoft domination of the industry requires a concerted effort to educate the population. removing microsoft software from schools would be a good first step. google have a chance of making inroads since they are a well-known and trusted brand