MacBook Pro SMC 1.3 improves fan use under load

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
MacBook Pro SMC 1.3 improves fans under load

Owners of prior MacBook Pro systems were given an update late last week that should improve their tolerance for heat.

SMC Firmware Update 1.3 (833KB) gives 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros from late 2007 and early 2008 improved fan behavior in high workload conditions.

Applying the firmware requires at least Mac OS X 10.4.11 for late 2007 MacBook Pros and 10.5.7 for the early 2008 models, which came preloaded with Mac OS X Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hardwichardwic Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MacBook Pro SMC 1.3 improves fans under load

Owners of prior MacBook Pro systems were given an update late last week that should improve their tolerance for heat.

SMC Firmware Update 1.3 (833KB) gives 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros from late 2007 and early 2008 improved fan behavior in high workload conditions.

Applying the firmware requires at least Mac OS X 10.4.11 for late 2007 MacBook Pros and 10.5.7 for the early 2008 models, which came preloaded with Mac OS X Leopard.

I applied this update, or at least Apple did as part of the 10.5.7 update.

The install completed successfully and I used the machine for the rest of the day.

When I closed the lid, I did not notice the machine did not actually go to sleep.

When I got home, I found the MBP in my briefcase with fans running and hot. I reset the machine and the video did not turn on.

The details are here but beware of this update if you have a Macbook 3.1

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0755&tstart=15