Classic vs. Nano - I Can't Decide! Opinions Please?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
>> Just a quick note. Ever since I was little, I've always loved music. That's where this nickname came from - I was the kid with the radio on all the time. I was constantly listening to music. I was so excited to get my first CD player in middle school, and in high school I've had a couple of cheap dollar store mp3 players. Most of them died or didn't work very well; I accidentally killed the first one by dropping it in a river xD

So getting just the right mp3 player is very important to me personally. I take this very seriously. Probably a lot more than I should. \

I saved my money for the longest time - my family's dirt poor and it took forever to get a decent chunk of change. (Another reason I don't want to pick the wrong one.) One day I went to Best Buy when I was certain I'd have enough for something better than a cheap piece of cumbersome plastic that took AA batteries and held 3 quarters of a GB of data. I was very pleasantly surprised when I did the math and realized I had just enough for a shiny, brand new, blue 4th Generation iPod Nano. I had exactly 210 dollars; it rang up to $209.99. Since I'm used to obnoxious players with poor sound quality that can barely function, I was blown away by the great playback, the click wheel, and all of those other awesome features. It was like space-age technology to me! I loved it a lot, and once I got used to iTunes, it was a lot more convenient than manually copying music to the device. I could go on but the point is, I freaking LOVED that thing.

Then it got glitchy. It stared giving me problems, and eventually, just 24 days after I purchased it, it basically died. I got so much trouble trying to return it, but after arguing with employees that couldn't even operate an iPod in the first place, I got my money back, and only because one of the guys there had similar problems and knew I wasn't lying. They told him not to do it! I had a miserable experience that ate up over an hour trying to work with these people and left me without a music player. I saved up a little more money since then. I was checking out Apple.com since I didn't want to go to Best Buy again (I've had problems with their service and their products every single time I've ever gone to this particular branch) and the shipping's free. I've seen ads for really cheap iPods, but I don't trust the internet and I'm not taking chances. I found out I have enough for a new 6th Gen (or 2nd Gen, to some people) 120GB iPod Classic.

I got really attached to the Nano, but 120GB of space sounds REALLY cool to me. Now I can't decide.

The Nano was very slim, aesthetically pleasing, bright in color, and had a flash drive. The Classic, which a friend of mine has, is shiny, has a slightly larger screen, holds a charge longer, and has so much space. I know that the Classic has less features and a hard drive, which isn't so great. Doesn't that make it more fragile? I mean, hard drives have moving parts that could get damaged if you drop it, making it not the best kind of memory for a portable device. But my dad says that older flash memory can only go through so many read/write cycles before it dies. Is that how the Nano works?? I've heard that breakthroughs in flash memory, through some kind of formula, have made it possible (in theory) to work for a hundred years, but I don't know how recently this was discovered. If the Nano is guaranteed to die at a certain point after a certain number of read/write cycles, I'd rather take my chances with a hard drive since I take good care of my stuff and with an exception of the player in the river, the only time anything I own got destroyed on accident was thanks to careless friends and family members. I don't need the latest and greatest, but I would like something durable enough that suits my needs.

Function-wise, the Classic sounds like a better idea in my opinion, because even though the Nano was fancy, I didn't NEED a lot of extra features. I tried them out when I first got it, but didn't really use most of them. I'd love to put all kinds of music and full-length movies on it. I don't have a car and it takes a long time to get places on the bus. I also like listening to music when I walk. The longer charge is ideal.

However, I got used to the Nano, I gotta admit it's a lot better-looking, I liked the color more than silver or black, the back wasn't all finger prints, and flash memory seems more logical than a hard drive. I understand Apple and other corporations are working on moving towards flash instead of hard drives in general, but I'm not sure I want to wait for them to come up with a flash music player like the Nano with more than 16GB on it.

Now about the cons... The lack of features doesn't even bother me as much as the fact that the Classic isn't as attractive as the Nano. But the thing that worries me most is the hard drive. I know it's a little slower than flash, and I'm worried about it getting damaged.

And with the Nano, it has a lot less space, and I got irritated very quickly with having to charge it so often. When I'm out on the go and I won't be home all day, the last thing I want is my mp3 player that I just charged to konk out on me. >_>; I also hear that the battery is fused into the back plate, which could make replacing the battery either difficult or impossible (I'm not sure because I don't know much about replacing batteries; all I know is that this doesn't sound good). The length of life before it dies is a concern too.

It's going to be a very long time before I get another expensive gadget, so no matter what I get, I want to be pleased with my decision, and I'd like it to last. On a side note, I'm also interested in getting one of my favorite quotes engraved in the back, and I'm pretty sure I can't return an iPod with an engraving should I change my mind about the model I want.

So what I'm looking for here is your opinion on the matter. Tell me, guys - Which way would you go? It'd be helpful to get a second opinion from somebody who's owned a Classic and a Nano to let me know which one they liked better. I can't decide if the pros outweigh the cons on either of these for what I'm looking for specifically. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks of this. Which do you like better and why, the Nano, or the Classic? Based on reading this, which do you think I might prefer? I'd love a little advice on this. It'd be good to hear from people who've actually owned and used these things, unlike me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Before you make a final decision, also look at Sansa.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadioChild View Post

>> Just a quick note.

Really?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Really?

Perhaps that is what is wrong with this forum and many others, human nature. Rather than be useful/productive, it is more fun to be cute/obnoxious. I am seriously considering the Sansa Fuze. It appears to be capable of serving all my needs and then some.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    >> I meant the part about my nickname was a quick note, lol.

---

I got a sansa clip once as a present but it didn't last at all before it started giving me problems, and I couldn't return it. It was the one I got right before the ipod. Hmm. I haven't looked at the Sansa Fuze yet though. I'll check it out!

---

Wait, are you calling me obnoxious?? What did I do?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I recommend getting the iPod Classic, as storage seems to be a concern of yours. Make sure to cuddle it, hard disks can bite the dust if they fall while operating.

I personally would get the iPod nano, since I don't care about storage much and the nano is sexier. My 2nd Gen nano is still going strong, and since it was a 2GB I've written to it plenty of times.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadioChild View Post

>> I meant the part about my nickname was a quick note, lol.

---

I got a sansa clip once as a present but it didn't last at all before it started giving me problems, and I couldn't return it. It was the one I got right before the ipod. Hmm. I haven't looked at the Sansa Fuze yet though. I'll check it out!

---

Wait, are you calling me obnoxious?? What did I do?

I was not picking on you. I was going after the person who said "Really?" I enjoyed your story. Reminded me of me. I am just older. I have a $10 CD player from Walgreens that I treat with kid gloves. You get what you pay for. I have to agree with you that flash memory is eventually going to fail. I've read that elsewhere. Just because Apple has a strong hold on the portable media player business doesn't make them the best. They are rather spendy. That doesn't automatically make them better. I have no real desire for a media player, just music. My eyes have no desire to look at pictures or movies on a micro-screen. I haven't owned a music player since my way old device made by Intel. It worked really well, but was old and can't be used with a Mac. It sounds like your mind is really made up, you just want others to confirm it. I think you should get the Classic. Check the Apple Store refurbished section. You may save enough to cover the cost of Apple Care. I personally am also thinking about the Slot Radio Player. I am not that picky over my music. The Fuze can play Slot Radio as well. You claim being in a poor family and having to save for the next player. So the iTunes story is spendy too, right? Slot Radio is a gimmick. You get 1000 songs for 40 bucks. You must listen to them randomly and can not go backward. You can skip forward though. For the most part, it is radio without the jocks and commercials. I like the idea. If for some reason, Slot Radio bites the dust, the Fuze and Slot Radio Player can do their own thing with micro cards. And I suppose these things are all meant to live a short life. I suppose many people get a new and improved model of whatever they own long before the battery needs to be replaced. One last thing: While the idea isn't exactly right for me, I suggest you also look at Slacker. Go to slacker.com
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Go for the iPod Classic. I have a 5G iPod with video that I still use on a regular basis, drops and all. I think it's going on 4 years old.