Mbp or imac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was all set to get a 20 inch imac but am now considering a 13 inch MBP as it seems like a perfect laptop at this time and has been getting great reviews. I am currently using a emac G4 which has been great. Just not sure about a 13 inch screen, any thoughts?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    You will notice a big difference in the size of text on any LCD or LED monitor, since you are using a CRT on the eMac. I wanted a MacBook back in November of 2007. One look at the screen and it was out of the question. I have an iMac 20 inch instead. If your eyes can see the screen, I think the MBP is the way to go.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Thanks for your input.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post


    You will notice a big difference in the size of text on any LCD or LED monitor, since you are using a CRT on the eMac. I wanted a MacBook back in November of 2007. One look at the screen and it was out of the question. I have an iMac 20 inch instead. If your eyes can see the screen, I think the MBP is the way to go.



  • Reply 3 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,561moderator
    I'd say get the 13" MBP and a 24" screen.



    This way when you are on the move, you have the choice to take the laptop away with you or you can just sit with it in different parts of your house.



    You lose about 15% CPU performance vs the 20" iMac and buying the extra 24" screen will cost $200 more but you get portability, a dual display setup, a bigger screen than the iMac, the ability to upgrade your hard drive and the rest is about the same.



    When you need to upgrade, selling your 13" laptop is much easier as it's small for shipping and the value holds up better.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Marvin ... Are you saying there are 24" monitors for just $200? If the 20" iMac was the original idea, then the mini should also be a contender. bigstar62 ... what are your reasons for buying the MBP instead of the iMac?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post


    Marvin ... Are you saying there are 24" monitors for just $200? If the 20" iMac was the original idea, then the mini should also be a contender. bigstar62 ... what are your reasons for buying the MBP instead of the iMac?



    I was thinking of the mini with one of those nice Dell 2309 monitors that are getting good reviews. As far as getting the MBP maybe it is time for just using a laptop. I currently use my emac for web browsing and to manage over 100 gigs of music. Any of the three would suit me fine that is why it is a hard decision. It will probably be my luck to buy the imac now and in the fall they are upgraded, the MBP was just upgraded.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Easy choice... if you want something portable... even part-time... you have to get the MBP.



    If you'll never want to "take it with you", then the iMac offers a lot more performance for the $$.



    So do you want a desktop or a laptop??
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Well ... You could wait until Snow Leopard is released. Apple says September. That probably means end of September. Something might change with the iMac. My guess would be a change will have to take place with the mini. It has just one gig of memory, the minimum requirement for Snow Leopard. You could also save some money now by checking out the refurbished section at the Apple Store. As you know, Macs don't expire very quickly. You can checkout these guys for a quote to trade your eMac G4: http://www.powermax.com/
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post


    Well ... You could wait until Snow Leopard is released. Apple says September. That probably means end of September. Something might change with the iMac. My guess would be a change will have to take place with the mini. It has just one gig of memory, the minimum requirement for Snow Leopard. You could also save some money now by checking out the refurbished section at the Apple Store. As you know, Macs don't expire very quickly. You can checkout these guys for a quote to trade your eMac G4: http://www.powermax.com/



    Thanks for all the information. I will visit the Apple store and throughly check out the imac and MBP.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,561moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post


    Marvin ... Are you saying there are 24" monitors for just $200? If the 20" iMac was the original idea, then the mini should also be a contender. bigstar62 ... what are your reasons for buying the MBP instead of the iMac?



    Brand new, you can get one on newegg for $220:



    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236049



    You can get new 24" displays new on eBay for less with a warranty. Dell's 2409W is $220 too.



    You're right, the Mini should come into consideration. The lowest one with 2GB Ram would do the job and would be $650 + $250 = $900 vs $1200 for the iMac.



    Refurbished, you do get a MB for $950 (no firewire) and a 20" iMac for $1000 but the iMac doesn't leave much room for buying a better non-TN display later on. You can plug in an external display but you still have a 20" TN panel taking up a lot of desk space.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    Easy choice... if you want something portable... even part-time... you have to get the MBP.



    If you'll never want to "take it with you", then the iMac offers a lot more performance for the $$.



    So do you want a desktop or a laptop??



    I think for portable MBP wins out .



    AND for value wise the plastic MB beats out the current mini.

    The plastic white MB can double as a large screen HD and even as an apple TV device. Yet on that fateful day you have to run ,just grab and go.



    Wait until the mini gets redone and has a better value ratio to the portables .



    yes

    9
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    I think for portable MBP wins out .



    AND for value wise the plastic MB beats out the current mini.

    The plastic white MB can double as a large screen HD and even as an apple TV device. Yet on that fateful day you have to run ,just grab and go.



    Wait until the mini gets redone and has a better value ratio to the portables .



    yes

    9



    Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.
Sign In or Register to comment.