17 spins on Apple Startup screen

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
And I've gotta dual G4 867. Will this get any faster, even though I almost never have to restart (except when updating (got 10.2.2)) but is irritating. U know?!

-walloo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    does it really matter ?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>does it really matter ? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I booted up a 600mhz iBook that had Jaguar recently installed and I kid-you-not, it took almost FIVE minutes for it to boot up. I watched that spinning thing for a good three minutes of it. It had never done this before...

And mind you - a few weeks prior, I had completely wiped it, ran the restore disks, then installed Jaguar. There is just no reason for it.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:

<strong>And I've gotta dual G4 867. Will this get any faster, even though I almost never have to restart (except when updating (got 10.2.2)) but is irritating. U know?!

-walloo</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think I counted about 60 of 75 of those spins when watching my PowerBook startup once.

You can do somethings that may increase the speed. such as running "verify disk permissions" and "repair disk permissions" in Disk Utility and stuff like that.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Seems to vary a lot depending on what's going on under the hood. My first restart for 10.2, 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 took forever, then the startup time came backdown to Earth. I once pulled the plug by accident on my iMac, and the restart took forever then too.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    The boot procedure verifies the whole system disk so if your system is on a huge drive, that whole drive has to be verified after a bad shutdown and this can take a long time...
  • Reply 6 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic:

<strong>

I booted up a 600mhz iBook that had Jaguar recently installed and I kid-you-not, it took almost FIVE minutes for it to boot up. I watched that spinning thing for a good three minutes of it. It had never done this before...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

My 500MHz iBook was almost that bad. It started up MUCH faster after the 10.2.2 update.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    My PowerBook takes up to 10 minutes to boot sometimes.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    My 233MHz iMac (Rev. B) at most takes three minutes to boot (i.e, when I have to force restart at boot because of frigging GLOD.)

Off I go to count how many spins...
  • Reply 9 of 28
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    wow...thats a long looonngg time...my g3 400MHz isn't even that bad...i'm confident if i installed OS X on my 200MHz 604e that it wouldn't take that long
  • Reply 10 of 28
    One question; how many extra's do you (who have long start ups) have installed in your start up library? You know third party programs that start when you boot up. I have a 600mhz 384mg ibook with an external firewire drive and my boot only take less than one to two minutes. I also have five startup addon in my library. What are you prople doing to your sysyems? Five, ten minutes. Naves.....
  • Reply 11 of 28
    EVERYTIME: 10.2.2: 17 spins.

~sometimes I get 17.2, 17.5.

--&gt;I'll check what extras I have, repair disk permissions, and the disk. and report back.

--&gt;somethings I found on apple.com/support

MAC OS 9 (& or) MAC OS X?

*\tThe most common cause is that a valid startup disk has not been selected. Use the Startup Disk control panel to select a volume with a valid System Folder.

*\tIf you have large amounts of memory installed in the computer, it will take the computer longer to test the memory at startup before proceeding with the startup process. You can turn off the startup memory tests by holding down the Command and Option keys while opening the Memory control panel.

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31175"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31175</a>;

I'll let you know once I try these with MAC OS X!

-walloo

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by willywalloo:

<strong>EVERYTIME: 10.2.2: 17 spins.

~sometimes I get 17.2, 17.5.

--&gt;I'll check what extras I have, repair disk permissions, and the disk. and report back.

--&gt;somethings I found on apple.com/support

MAC OS 9 (& or) MAC OS X?

*\tThe most common cause is that a valid startup disk has not been selected. Use the Startup Disk control panel to select a volume with a valid System Folder.

*\tIf you have large amounts of memory installed in the computer, it will take the computer longer to test the memory at startup before proceeding with the startup process. You can turn off the startup memory tests by holding down the Command and Option keys while opening the Memory control panel.

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31175"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31175</a>;

I'll let you know once I try these with MAC OS X!

-walloo

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, those are both well known tricks that only work with OS 9.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    jayjay Posts: 27member
    I may be wrong here, but I think part of your slowdown could be your Mac running fsck (the file system checker) at startup. I think if you enable [http://www.macobserver.com/tip/2002/11/13.1.shtml]journaling[/URL] fsck won't run at every startup. You might be able to verify this by booting into verbose mode (just a regular boot, but you can see what's happening) by holding down command+V on startup. You could at least see what the holdup is with that.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It can be aggravating, but it is extremely variable--I get wildly differing times for the first part of startup (on the grey screen).

Also--3rd party software doesn't startup then, so that should not have an impact.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I've got a solution. When you have to restart. Go make some coffee, whiten your teeth, go to the restroom.

WeeWeeWee 17 spins, OMGod....Ya know what... Sometimes I wish I was an idiot so I did'nt notice how selfish and blind people can be.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    hi,

after i installed 10.2.2 on both my cube and iBook:

cube (g4/500/1gigmem): (at the same time as installing 10.2.2 on the cube, i also added a 512 ram for a total of 1 gig) the spinning wheel of life no longer appears at all! wow! it goes from black to the os x splash screen now. total start up has decreased around 20 senconds, and is now around 50 seconds.

iBook (g3/600/640mem): 10.2.2 has speeded up total start up time somewhat. now 50 seconds (was around 70 seconds).

common to both: only two added menu extras.

by the way: anyone who has not experienced a performance improvement might want to do pram reset then a permissions fix.

thnx
  • Reply 17 of 28
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    17 spins is like 17 seconds, and after the grey screen Jag zooms by everything.

I really don't see what you are complaining about...
  • Reply 18 of 28
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    as I said at the very beginning of this thread; does it really matter?

dmgeist and Spart see the light. aren't there more important issues in your life?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    It probably doesn't, but my G3/350 takes maybe 10 running os 10.2 (first jag retail build) and I find it irritating when you put 2,000 dollars into a computer and it starts up slower.

relate it to cars.

You go out to your car and think: I'm going to go to a near by Apple Store. Well, since it's going to take 17 spins to get it to start up, I mine as well be irritated and wait.

I am liking the rumors that many installed items with OS X Panther will not require a restart. If I never had to restart my system, then this problem wouldn't matter. However because I do, it is sometimes a problem.

-walloo

p.s. I'll be back with more.

--&gt;&gt;I'm BACK.

I just timed my mac and it takes about 30 Seconds to start up. I guess I don't have much of a case anymore. I think it was the new start-up screen that had had made my mind psychologically think that it was actually taking a longer time than it actually was.

I remember OS X.1 always taking about double that (but seeming like it was faster @ starting than Jaguar) sometimes on regular reboot. Of course that was on my Blue G3, of which Jaguar starts up much faster there too.

Is the new Apple Screen a better Idea? Some people don't like it, others don't care, some people like it.

--&gt;thanks for listening to my RAMBLING.

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: willywalloo ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 28
    I don't shut down my PowerBook 667 DVI....ever. I put the screensaver on to password protect it and then close the lid, putting it to sleep, when I'm not using it of course. Although when I have to restart for some few and far between OS update or to do some fscking, it regularly takes 60-80 spinds before I stop counting...and then some.