Nearly half of prospective smartphone buyers to choose iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

The extra CPU was the wow factor tha convinced me to dip my toes in the iphone water. As a web browser it is now pretty much good enough and responsive enough that I haven't opened my laptop in a week. I've seen people even with 3g get frustrated at the speed. DOn't underestimate how much the extra speed affects the overall experience!

I dont. I own one.

I'm saying others do.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Remember those 25% are the people who have held out for two years now. If you include all the people who did switch already for the iPhone, the percentage of iPhone-interested people who won't switch because of ATT probably falls below 5%.

And it's really even less than that - this measures those who are thinking about getting a smart phone so 25% say they aren't *thinking* about getting an iPhone because it isn't on their network - that's really meaningless outside of to say that Apple is missing an *opportunity* with 25% of the market - not a guarantee, simply an opportunity.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

The extra CPU was the wow factor tha convinced me to dip my toes in the iphone water. As a web browser it is now pretty much good enough and responsive enough that I haven't opened my laptop in a week. I've seen people even with 3g get frustrated at the speed. DOn't underestimate how much the extra speed affects the overall experience!

This is interesting because having been primed on the Touch (WiFi) I was used to faster speed already as it is known faster than the old 3G. Does anyone know if the 3GS is faster than the current Touch? It seems slightly faster to me than the Touch.

Again- Loving it. Buy more AAPL.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    yeah, i think this study shows nothing really. I think the reason why the 3G spiked so much last year was because they opened the email app to MS Exchange server. Businesses and previous Palm/BB users had no need for the iPhone until that happened, since a good amount of those users are business driven.

I think the spike this year was for the added speed and time tested functionality of the OS. This spike could also be to do with businesses now adopting the iPhone after seeing it's successes; most businesses are pretty conservative when it comes to new technology. Also, it could be due to business contracts that were not currently up to expire at the time that the 3G came out.

The real test will be next year's sales figures at this time. If Apple wants another spike next year, they will have to make some major changes to the iPhone. Personally, i have the last year 3G model and i really don't see any reason to spend the extra cash for the 3Gs. Sure it's faster but the 3G is fast enough for me and the WiFi is plenty fast for me at home. However, there may be a spike next year due to people who have two-year contracts from the 3G, like myself.

Personally, I'd rather invest in a net book or the fantastic Apple version of that, which sounds like is in the works for next year sometime. My iPhone 3G is convenient for sitting on the couch but it's not a replacement for a laptop. Can't wait to see what Apple comes up with next year, especially since Google is throwing their hats in the ring.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

This is interesting because having been primed on the Touch (WiFi) I was used to faster speed already as it is known faster than the old 3G. Does anyone know if the 3GS is faster than the current Touch? It seems slightly faster to me than the Touch.

Again- Loving it. Buy more AAPL.

Sounds like it is in fact faster for applications but not everything. I'm guessing it has to do with application speed rather than connectivity speed. If you play a lot of games on the iPhone, which IMO is silly (get the touch if you really want to play games and save your wallet the monthly charge IMO).

Here are a couple articles that demonstrates the speed tests:

http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/22/ip...aster-than-3g/

http://blackpixel.com/

http://gizmodo.com/5303999/iphone-3g...eal-difference

Yes, i know a lot of people on this forum hate "gizmodo" and think they are inacurate, but i think in many cases they are just reporting opinions like most major media companies do nowadays.

at least I sight sources, take it for what it's worth.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I dont. I own one.

I'm saying others do.

Sorry. I meant that generically.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud

I too came from an iPod touch. The network aspect aside, it is tangibly faster. Page rendering is much quicker. Of course you to deal with your carriers network but that is another story.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The $99 will hurt Apple's margins

Perhaps. What we don't know is how much revenue sharing on the montly fee's Apple gets from AT&T.

We know they get something since for accounting purposes they classify iPhone revenue as subscription based (that's why the iPhone gets updates for free but the iPod Touch doesn't).
  • Reply 68 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And SJ & Co. are standing still?

Yeah, Apple is doomed.

No, they are soon to be beleaguered
  • Reply 69 of 73
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Yet another idiotic survey from ChangeWave --- all their surveys are skew because they only came from responses from ChangeWave members, who aren't the average population.

Just look at how the other ChangeWave survey results saying that AT&T has been consistently winning Verizon subscribers for the past 2 years after the original iphone was launched --- none of that was true. Verizon consistently beat AT&T's net adds every quarter for the last 2 years.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Perhaps. What we don't know is how much revenue sharing on the montly fee's Apple gets from AT&T.

We know they get something since for accounting purposes they classify iPhone revenue as subscription based (that's why the iPhone gets updates for free but the iPod Touch doesn't).

Nope. Apple only gets revenue sharing on the original iPhones (not 3G) that were sold without subsidy.

The iPhone revenue uses subscription accounting because Apple intends to give free updates (just like it does for AppleTV for which there is clearly no revenue sharing).
  • Reply 71 of 73
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Just look at how the other ChangeWave survey results saying that AT&T has been consistently winning Verizon subscribers for the past 2 years after the original iphone was launched --- none of that was true. Verizon consistently beat AT&T's net adds every quarter for the last 2 years.

False. Over the last eight quarters, it's 4 for VZW and 4 for T, with T adding 14m net, and VZW adding 12.6m net over the 2 years. (This does not include any adds from buying up other companies, such as VZW's purchase of Alltel.)

What is true is that since iPhone's release in 2Q07, VZW's retail postpaid churn has risen from .85 to 1.14 (or 34%). Since iPhone3G, VZW's churn has been 1.03, 1.05, and 1.14. AT&T's comparable churn has decreased from 1.5 to 1.2 (or 20%) since iPhone was announced.

All these numbers can be found in the SEC filings or on their websites.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

False. Over the last eight quarters, it's 4 for VZW and 4 for T, with T adding 14m net, and VZW adding 12.6m net over the 2 years. (This does not include any adds from buying up other companies, such as VZW's purchase of Alltel.)

What is true is that since iPhone's release in 2Q07, VZW's retail postpaid churn has risen from .85 to 1.14 (or 34%). Since iPhone3G, VZW's churn has been 1.03, 1.05, and 1.14. AT&T's comparable churn has decreased from 1.5 to 1.2 (or 20%) since iPhone was announced.

All these numbers can be found in the SEC filings or on their websites.

That is counting AT&T's net add numbers which includes the Tracfone net adds.

But the ChangeWave surveys specifically talk about how there were "massive" number of people switching to AT&T for the iphone (especially from Verizon). So since ChangeWave specifically talk about AT&T and the iphone --- we must take out the Tracfone numbers. Once we take out the Tracfone net adds --- Verizon has beaten AT&T in every single quarter after the original iphone was launched.

If you don't take the Tracfone out of the equation ---- then ChangeWave has to change their survey finding to Tracfone (instead of the iphone) helping AT&T to get massive number of people switching to AT&T.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    appeal of lower costs on the unit itself and endless apps....what more can you ask for? (besides a better camera?)