Published: LSD inventor's letter to Apple CEO Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Arnold's father was a member of the SS in Austria

No he was not. He was a member of the Nazi party and a member of SA - Sturmabteilung (brownshirts) but he was not a member of the SS - Schutzstaffel
  • Reply 62 of 90
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

No he was not. He was a member of the Nazi party and a member of SA - Sturmabteilung (brownshirts) but he was not a member of the SS - Schutzstaffel

They were one in the same. Only difference was the color of jersey. Brown because they got them on the cheap from Africa. The SA ranks were adopted by all Nazi Party groups. Most notably the SS.
    Quote:

During the 1920s and 1930s, the SA functioned as a private militia that Hitler used to intimidate rivals and disrupt the meetings of competing political parties, especially those of the Social Democrats and the Communists. Also known as the "brownshirts" or "stormtroopers", the SA became notorious for their street battles with the Communists.

Yeah the obvious Star Wars evil and good reference.

They were key to Hitler's rise until the SS executed the SA leaders because Hitler wanted absolute power not because they were different. The event known as the Night of the Long Knives.

All the same sh_t.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    Quote:

Using the new API I made a bong that when attached to the iPhone measures the amount of smoke needed for an ideal hit. An alarm goes off if you take your lips away from the bong to early.

Send me the blue prints, yeah?
  • Reply 64 of 90
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    This thread made me think of this classic clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

applicable content @ 0:35
  • Reply 65 of 90
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itistoday View Post

I don't believe I am, I was quoting him directly:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTripper

I never thought I'd say this, but drugs are really not good for you.

Edit: Here's another one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTripper

Drugs are bad for your body, period.

Touché sir ... I apologise.

Jimzip
  • Reply 66 of 90
    camelotcamelot Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Albert Hofmann penned a letter to Steve Jobs shortly before his passing

When did Steve Jobs die? and why didn't I hear about this before?

Come to think of it, why isn't any other news outlet reporting on Steve's demise?

Ohhh... maybe you mean before Albert Hofmann died? in which case you should reorder the statements, like:

Quote:

... shortly before his passing Albert Hofmann penned a letter to Steve Jobs

Now I'm far less concerned.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

I don't know you, him/her or Jobs. It is still zero.

So what does "know you" mean and why does it matter to you? Heh, do you have to be in my presence for it to count? Come over here, have a drink with me, and I'll tell you the same exact thing. So will Steve Jobs, after all, he's said to to people who are publicly documenting his life. What difference does it make whether you hang out with him or not? You think he tells the people he hangs out with that he didn't consider it to be one of the most important things he's done? Haha! Right, he goes around just making that shit up. And actually, if you ask people who do/did "hang" with him (e.g. Woz), they'll tell you the same thing.

So... please, I'm struggling to understand your point. Or are you simply trying to tell us that you are trying your hardest to put your fingers in your ears?

Quote:

Notice you quit "expanding."

What? I sense you haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

Quote:

Says volumes. It does not expand your mind, it confuses it.

I'm sure you know my mind quite well, better than me even. Why, you must "know me" well then!

Quote:

I don't need an opinion of a mind deluded at the time, I've SEEN it. Gosh it's so obvious it helps your mind. People make great choices while dropping acid, are extremely rational and do things sooo much better. Please don't expand and drive.

It's ironic that from what you've said, without any acid to "delude" you, you do not appear to possess the slightest shred of rationality about you. I can assure you sir, that quite often someone who is on a psychedelic is far more lucid and aware of the reality going on around them than those who are sober. This may not always be the case, just as it isn't always the case that "sober" people are "rational", but there is in psychedelics an incredible potential for doing exactly what you believe to be impossible, and that is not just expanding your mind, but totally obliterating it, in the best of possible ways. Some people need to have their minds obliterated, I know I did, and I'm quite grateful for it.

Someone who has not actually experienced such a thing would have no idea of what I am talking about, just in the same way as someone who has never experienced fire, or any other unique experience, can truly understand it without having first experienced it themselves.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Within this century, I suspect, the drugs many of you know as being "illegal", will be legalized. It's already begun in states like California, and it will spread to other states and eventually to the entire country.

The battle, no, war on drugs, is the same war that was fought decades ago over the legitimacy of black people's identity as human beings, their right to exist and share the same freedoms as everyone else, it is the same war that was fought over whether or not women can have equal say in their government, whether or not schools should be segregated, etc.

The war on drugs is an extension of what is fundamentally a war of ignorance over enlightenment, it has dragged on for centuries, and with each passing year the world becomes more and more liberal, offering more and more liberty to its inhabitants. Dictatorships turn into republics, democracies, and the people eventually get their say.

Soon, I hope, we will continue down this path of enlightenment and realize, that not only is it harmful to society as a whole when we destroy people's lives because they prefer smoking foliage, but it is against the fundamental notions of freedom on which this country was established, the right for the individual to purse a life of their choosing.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    @mactripper

so let me get this right

if it is "illegal" then that determines whether it is bad for you or not?

so, being that i am in california and have been recommended marijuana by a doctor, that would make it not bad for me right?...however! if i lived in the next state over then this "illegal" drug is now "bad for me"?

i was not aware that your body + drugs had so much bearing on human laws and location where those laws take effect

yes i am going to an extreme, but it would only be proper to respond in such a manner to your extremes right?

and on that note.....has anyone ever tried using a magnifying glass to fire it up? the taste is 100x better imo, give it a try

and to conclude, my personal experience, don't compare herb, lsd, shrooms, to crack, meth, and heroin...apples and oranges here, it only furthers your perceived ignorance to do so
  • Reply 70 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Arnold's father was a member of the SS in Austria - the country indeed where Hitler was born and raised. Skull and Bones and the Nazi cult have equivalent roots: the Bavarian Illuminati (Bavaria, as in Germany).

So pot must be cool

Actually incorrect. The connection of the Occult work the Nazi's incorporated was counter intelligence by MI6 and the CIA.

The notion of the Illuminati spins off from the Rosicrucian movement. There were hundreds of splinter factions from those early roots.

The amount of cocka surrounding the Rosicrucian movement is only surpassed by the Roman Catholic Church.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

If you're going to do drugs at all, you really need to be practical about what you're doing. Do a little research and make informed decisions.

Marijuana, despite what some people think, does not make you dumb over the long haul unless you started out dumb, which happens.

Bunk. I knew potheads that could barely complete a sentence, even when not smoking, though admittedly that became hard to tell when they weren't. At least they didn't have red eyes, smell like it, have munchies or giggle. Some were friends or friends of friends. I had a girlfriend for a short time who was a sweet girl, but I quickly realized her life revolved around pot. She was like this at age 19. I've seen it a number of times, like it is a struggle to concentrate on the words. Surprise, surprise - they did better after quitting pot. They did not start out that way, either.

You must be very young, I am guessing.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

As with anything, the experience you get from LSD will largely depend on your outlook on life, and the context in which you do it.

I've genuinely felt that, in some situations, it's helped me come to understand parts of the human experience which I wasn't aware of before (awareness of the subtleties of human interaction and emotion, etc). Everyone has a particular way they interact with the world based on which parts of it they focus on, and in my experience, LSD helps to shift or expand that focus (which can be beneficial). However, I don't think it's completely necessary to use LSD to get that -- as someone else mentioned, traveling and major life changes can also give you the same experience.

But I've also had a strong distaste when seeing LSD used by people who are just looking for another way to get high (amongst a cocktail of other things) and not have to deal with the world around them. Often isolating those people from others. In that case, it's not of benefit whatsoever IMO.

Like others, I haven't done it in years (the idea just hasn't appealed to me). But I do still carry the experiences with me in my daily life.

Also, because it's an illegal substance, who knows what you're actually getting (unless you know where it comes from). That's another thing which keeps me from wanting to do it.

Anyways, I can see how it could be useful in psychiatric research.

Over 40 years and counting - no medical use discovered yet. Don't hold your breath. Timothy Leary's dead. No,no. He's outside - looking in.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natefrogg View Post

@mactripper

so let me get this right

if it is "illegal" then that determines whether it is bad for you or not?

so, being that i am in california and have been recommended marijuana by a doctor, that would make it not bad for me right?...however! if i lived in the next state over then this "illegal" drug is now "bad for me"?

i was not aware that your body + drugs had so much bearing on human laws and location where those laws take effect

yes i am going to an extreme, but it would only be proper to respond in such a manner to your extremes right?

and on that note.....has anyone ever tried using a magnifying glass to fire it up? the taste is 100x better imo, give it a try

and to conclude, my personal experience, don't compare herb, lsd, shrooms, to crack, meth, and heroin...apples and oranges here, it only furthers your perceived ignorance to do so

Surprised you can still type. That does explain why you weren't aware that "your body + drugs had so much bearing on human laws and location where those laws take effect,"

though.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

Within this century, I suspect, the drugs many of you know as being "illegal", will be legalized. It's already begun in states like California, and it will spread to other states and eventually to the entire country.

The battle, no, war on drugs, is the same war that was fought decades ago over the legitimacy of black people's identity as human beings, their right to exist and share the same freedoms as everyone else, it is the same war that was fought over whether or not women can have equal say in their government, whether or not schools should be segregated, etc.

The war on drugs is an extension of what is fundamentally a war of ignorance over enlightenment, it has dragged on for centuries, and with each passing year the world becomes more and more liberal, offering more and more liberty to its inhabitants. Dictatorships turn into republics, democracies, and the people eventually get their say.

Soon, I hope, we will continue down this path of enlightenment and realize, that not only is it harmful to society as a whole when we destroy people's lives because they prefer smoking foliage, but it is against the fundamental notions of freedom on which this country was established, the right for the individual to purse a life of their choosing.

I don't remember black people being a danger on the highway.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:

Bunk. I knew potheads that could barely complete a sentence, even when not smoking, though admittedly that became hard to tell when they weren't. At least they didn't have red eyes, smell like it, have munchies or giggle. Some were friends or friends of friends. I had a girlfriend for a short time who was a sweet girl, but I quickly realized her life revolved around pot. She was like this at age 19. I've seen it a number of times, like it is a struggle to concentrate on the words. Surprise, surprise - they did better after quitting pot. They did not start out that way, either.

At least they didn't have red eyes, smell like it, have munchies or giggle.

holy crap these potheads are going to destroy humanity with their constant red eyes, smelling like pot, constant munchies and giggling! the giggling is the worst, HOW DARE THEY!!
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:

Surprised you can still type. That does explain why you weren't aware that "your body + drugs had so much bearing on human laws and location where those laws take effect,"

though.

keep on stereotypin'

i can play that game too mr. guy from texas, drive through liquor stores anyone? hey guys, it's "legal" so alcohol must NOT be "bad" for you...
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:

you don't remember? common side effect of a pot head, put down the reefer or next thing you know you'll be robbing and stealing and killing! oh shiiiiiii!
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:

If black people are walking on a highway they are a danger to those driving on it, and themselves. You said it.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:

That's funny, I know someone who smokes pot every day, probably multiple times a day, and I would be willing to bet her intelligence is at least comparable to yours.

While I don't advocate smoking pot every day, I have no intention of telling her she should stop, as she seems completely lucid as to her likely dependence on it, and is totally fine with that. Shigata ga nai.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Quote:

That's funny, I know someone who smokes pot every single day, probably multiple times a day, and I would be willing to bet a lot of money that she's more intelligent than you.

seriously

i know computer programmers twice my age (i'm in my 30's) that partake, investors, ceos, owners of multi million dollar apparel companies

my own boss has literally made hundreds of millions of dollars, guess what he is smoking along with his coffee in the morning on until it's time for wine with dinner? it's not that tobacco stuff that kills so many...it's my state's #1 export crop