Apple tweaks Dock menus in new Snow Leopard beta

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Keep in mind that aqua controls in non-front-most windows are always grayed out instead of aqua.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

System Preferences can be accessed without launching the app!

Ahhh, I like that very much.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Ahhh, I like that very much.

Does this respect your highlight preference? So if you highlight color is something else than blue, with the menu selection be that color?

Also, if you system appearance is graphite does that make a difference? Is the border graphite or remains blue?
  • Reply 44 of 102
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Does this respect your highlight preference? So if you highlight color is something else than blue, with the menu selection be that color?

Also, if you system appearance is graphite does that make a difference? Is the border graphite or remains blue?

Your Highlight Color setting wouldn't have an effect on contextual menus regardless, it's only for text. Your Appearance setting is the only one that would affect menus. Unfortunately that's as far as I can go because I don't have Snow Leopard. \

Anyone have an answer? I'd like to know too considering I generally prefer graphite, (though blue on translucent black looks pretty slick, I have to say).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That slider is same as existing volume slider in iTunes.

Yeah, hopefully Apple will put indicators on either side of the Finder's thumbnail slider to help differentiate it from iTunes volume slider. It looks so much better than the original Aqua slider, IMO.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I installed it last night and while system response has improved a little, still takes longer to boot than 10.5.7. You would think that a 64-bit system that focuses on tweaks wouldn't take so long to boot. Oh well, I am still overall happy with it.

Is it in debug mode?
  • Reply 46 of 102
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    More interface tweaks are great!

PS: Can someone give a newbie Mac user a hand with a strange problem? Pleeeeease? http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=100394
  • Reply 47 of 102
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Is it in debug mode?

I don't know. Perhaps a developer on here can answer that question. I am curious how I could determine that however. Any takers?
  • Reply 48 of 102
    im not a developer, just wondering how hard could it be to change the ugly silver bar at the top of every window (pretty much the only thing i hate about mac os x) something which windows does better is the looks and visual effects (although requiring a good graphics card, i presume all nvidia cards can handle this), and would love to see tabs in finder... and another thing, dragging an application to the trash from the dock doesnt work... need to open finder to type in password... pain in the ass.. and stop asking for my password when i dont have one!! i woulld happily pay 80 quid if they fixed these and introduced new GUI, other than that love the new os
  • Reply 49 of 102
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post

im not a developer, just wondering how hard could it be to change the ugly silver bar at the top of every window (pretty much the only thing i hate about mac os x) something which windows does better is the looks and visual effects (although requiring a good graphics card, i presume all nvidia cards can handle this), and would love to see tabs in finder... and another thing, dragging an application to the trash from the dock doesnt work... need to open finder to type in password... pain in the ass.. and stop asking for my password when i dont have one!! i woulld happily pay 80 quid if they fixed these and introduced new GUI, other than that love the new os

I love the silver bar on top .
  • Reply 50 of 102
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Those white on black menus look hideous. I really hope that can be changed with a Preference setting. I thought this color scheme went out of style years ago when monochrome CRT monitors became obsolete.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

You almost don't need the Finder with those new Dock menus, for browsing around at least. I suppose you still need it for file management - copying/moving etc, but then file management was always Finder's weak point.

That's not new. We've had "list" view since 10.2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

You're absolutely right, I hadn't seen the MacRumors image. This seems like more of a strange addition then. I would have thought it would make sense to only change it for stacks. Maybe Apple are going to change all the menus to match.

It's a cosmetic change (standardizing the look and feel of the Dock). You already have that style when viewing in "Fan" and Grid". It's the "List" view that is an odd ball at the moment.

Looks good by the way. I like it.
  • Reply 52 of 102
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Those white on black menus look hideous. I really hope that can be changed with a Preference setting. I thought this color scheme went out of style years ago when monochrome CRT monitors became obsolete.

White text on black menus went out of style? So QuickLook, CoverFlow, Stacks, Leopard's Dock's app labels, iPhoto's face labeler, and Time Machine's interface are all in poor taste as well?

It's not like they're applying it to title bars (aside from QTX) or, god forbid, inverting text documents and web browsers.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's possible that it is, and that's what I was thinking. However if SL is going to be available in September (not knowing when in September of course, typical) then it would RTM probably sometime in mid-August at the latest based solely on my assumptions. I would hope that they still wouldn't have debugging turned on this late into development. Oh well, I still am happy with SL so far.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Is it in debug mode?

This is a common misconception with developer builds of pre-release operating systems. There is no "debug mode". Every operating system release Apple has put out is created with a fixed version of the compiler determined way before the OS ships, using release build options (that is, -Os etc.) Debugging symbols are never left in released build trains. Teh snappy? that happens in later builds is almost ALWAYS the result of optimizations done by tuning algorithms--determining what's slow and changing how it works so it's faster. There is no "compile with Debug options" switch that gets turned off when they release, nor is there some switch to "GCC with the fast options enabled".

That would be terrible software engineering, as the compiler, build tools, etc. are all under development while the operating system is under development, and therefore the operating system is generally built with the last released STABLE compiler. For example Clang (LLVM) is the "latest greatest" compiler from Apple, but right now very few applications in Mac OS X are built with it. At the beginning of the development cycle, the Clang/Xcode team worked with the Mac OS X developers to determine a small set of internal applications that could be compiled with Clang to stress test Clang itself. Similarly Xcode.app was the only 64-bi application in Leopard, so that the Cocoa team could find 64-bit bugs and defecencies during the Leopard development cycle.

Finally, leaving debugging options on is not an option because generally they bloat the executable size, which can impact too many other metrics. You don't want your final product to be 20-40% bigger then it actually needs to be when you are trying to get feedback on how fast the product installs, how much room it takes up and how fast it executes. Again there are exceptions--some things that are under rapid development get debug symbols left in, usually because a developer forgets to start stripping it. But generally most groups are stringent about removing debug symbols. (Anybody developer that's gotten a lot of ???? in their backtraces, or tried to trace through a function in an open source framework like CoreFoundation, knows these frameworks are stripped long before we get them on our computers).

HTH.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

White text on black menus went out of style? So QuickLook, CoverFlow, Stacks, Leopard's Dock's app labels, iPhoto's face labeler, and Time Machine's interface are all in poor taste as well?

It's not like they're applying it to title bars (aside from QTX) or, god forbid, inverting text documents and web browsers.

White text on black menus is a fashion statement, not much else.

Fashion and usability are different critters.

Think goatees or "bathing suits" that to the knee. Even netbooks.

Dopey fashions that think they pass for coolness.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Please use months rather than "summer" or "fall" to describe future events. At the very least disclose which hemisphere you are discussing so the rest of us will at least know you are wilfully ignorant.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

..if my friend waited until after September 8...

Why wait?

Snow Leopard will be a $9.95 upgrade for everyone who bought a Mac after June 8th.

The $29.95 price tag will be for the rest of us - of course, even then, why wait?

Assuming she doesn't intend to use the Mac mini for her TV, what you should be doing is pressuring your friend to buy an iMac.

An iMac + $19 adapter + existing display = a fantastic setup.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

And yet, we are already seeing more and more UI changes. There's only a few more things left to change, like buttons, sliders, and scrollbars, and you've pretty much done a UI overhaul.

Changes ≠ Overhaul. It's funny, I used to remember a time when people didn't giggle themselves silly whenever Apple decided "Hey this element is boring let's making it different from every other element in the UI!" And then folks wonder why OS X looks like such a mess of different styles.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

You're depressed by other people's...optimism?

Who in this thread is clamoring for an entirely new UI? I see people suggesting that this change to the Dock's contextual menus may foreshadow other tweaks coming between now and whenever Snow Leopard ships in September (I would guess late September).

Whenever any tiny change is discovered in SL there's always a horde going "AHA, THIS IS PROOF ILLUMINOUS/MARBLE IS COMING! I BET IT'S IN THE NEXT BUILD!" Although to be fair I'm mostly talking about shittier communities - I'm looking at you MacRumors. Even still, I've seen plenty of people whining here on AI about how Aqua is outdated, the worst part of OS X, et cetera.

I think we can all agree to hope that at least whenever they do get around to refreshing the UI - and hopefully finish CoreUI goddamn - they'll make things consistent.

(Sorry if these responses seem a bit curt, I'm angry with the topic in question, not you guys. You both make good points.)
  • Reply 58 of 102
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:

You almost don't need the Finder with those new Dock menus, for browsing around at least. I suppose you still need it for file management - copying/moving etc, but then file management was always Finder's weak point.

huh? in what way was finder weak at file management? that's it's only purpose!

almost don't need finder for browsing? are you kidding me? how would you get a folder into the dock without the finder?
  • Reply 59 of 102
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post

you really think windows visual effects are better? i think the mac's are better because they don't waste as many resources making everything look pretty, yet it still manages to look great. windows aero visual effects require 3D acceleration and don't look all that good to me. it's all opinion in the end, though.

the dock is a set of shortcuts, so it's equivalent to dragging a start menu item to the recycle bin to uninstall it - it just doesn't work that way.

mac os x asks you for passwords when modifying system critical folders - like system and applications. this is part of what makes mac os x a lot more secure than windows. even if you don't have a password, the computer is still looking for administrator permission to delete something important. it's far less annoying and more secure than windows vista (which nags you every time you want to change a simple control panel setting)
  • Reply 60 of 102
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    One thing that had particularly interested me about Snow Leopard was the changes to Quicktime. I had noticed performance improvements when I played HD H.264 flim clips on my Mac Mini 2009 with has the Geforce 9400M (the only graphics chip so far in SL to have H.264 acceleration in silicon). But what I was really interested in was what Quicktime 10 could do for lesser machines.

In addition to the Mac Mini, we have a 2007 15" Macbook Pro Santa Rosa with Geforce 8600 graphics, and a 2006 Blackbook (2 Ghz Core Duo, Intel graphics). Recently I was transferring some episodes of my son's favorite show (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) off my Tivo Series 3 in preparation for a family trip. Disney Channel HD broadcasts the show in 720p and the resolution of my Blackbook is 1280x800. Although the Blackbook had no problems playing 720p movie clips from Apple's Quicktime movie preview site, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse never played well on this machine. The Core 2 Duo Macs in the house didn't have this problem.

In making the MP4 file, although I own Toast 9 which allows you to rip an episode from a Tivo legally for personal use, I decided to use iTivo and let Handbrake do the job. Using the Apple Universal setting, the movie was reencoded for 5.2 Mbit/sec quality and no change in resolution. If the Blackbook under Leopard 10.5.7 played the clip, it dropped a ton of frames and was completely unwatchable. Under the WWDC version of Snow Leopard, the results were pretty much the same. The recent 10A390 update didn't change much.

But the new 10A402 release changed all that and in the process, I finally realized why the clip was so difficult to play. Disney broadcasts the show in 720p/60fps, not the 30 fps that you typically see in iTunes or Apple.com clips. With having the stuff the pipe at twice the frame rate, I understood what the problem was now. But Snow Leopard 10A420 can now play the clip without dropping frames on this lesser Mac.

There is one catch: you must play it in full screen mode (command-F) in order to get proper performance. But it's still amazing that a 720p/60fps H.264 movie is running so well on 3 year old hardware. During playback, Activity Monitor shows about 50-60% utilization on both cores. I'll be revisiting Snow Leopard on my Mac Mini to see if performance on the Geforce 9400M graphics system has improved as well.