MacBook Pros suffer 7,200rpm drive issue; Korea iPod nano recall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The "ASG" (G for G-force) drives are not supposed to be used in Apple computers (conflict between drive's built-in G-force and Apples on-board G-force. So I would be surprised if Apple themselves are installing these drives. These drives can be used, but it is recommended that Apple's G-force be turned off in terminal. I have one of the "AS" drives with no problems.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

<<To disable the Sudden Motion Sensor:

Find the current status of Sudden Motion Sensor:

1. From the Finder's Go menu, choose Utilities.

2. In the Utilities folder, open Terminal.

3. When the command line appears, type sudo pmset -g and press Return.

4. Type in the administrator password when prompted and hit Return. This command queries the computer for the current setting of the Sudden Motion Sensor, which you can determine by locating the ams entry (in Mac OS X 10.3) or the sms entry (in Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5) and looking to the right to determine its value. The default setting is "1" (turned on).

Disabling the Sudden Motion Sensor in Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5:

1. In Terminal, which should still be open from the previous step, you can disable the Sudden Motion Sensor by typing sudo pmset -a sms 0 and pressing Return (changing the setting to a zero disables the module).

2. Type your administrator password when you are prompted and press Return.

3. Type the sudo pmset -g command again to be sure that the setting has been applied.

Any changes that you make to the Sudden Motion Sensor setting remain in effect even after you restart the computer. If you choose to disable the Sudden Motion Sensor, Apple recommends that you re-enable it as soon as possible in order to take full advantage of the feature.

To re-enable the Sudden Motion Sensor:

Find the current status of Sudden Motion Sensor:

1. From the Finder's Go menu, choose Utilities.

2. In the Utilities folder, open Terminal.

3. When the command line appears, type sudo pmset -g and press Return. Type your administrator password when you are prompted and press Return. If you have the Sudden Motion Sensor turned off, the value of the ams entry (in Mac OS X 10.3) or sms entry (in Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5) will be a zero (0). >>
  • Reply 22 of 58
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    I guess I am one of the few WITHOUT any of the drive issues... No clicks, beeps, stalls, beachballs or any firmware update issues..

I installed the 500GB 7200 RPM Seagate Momentus without the shock protection.. I also did NOT APPLY the 1.7 Firmware update as that seems to be causing a lot of problems and will only make a difference to those using SSD.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    I had similar sounds in my 12" iBook when i upgraded to a WD 120GB HDD ~1year ago. I searched alot on the net and found hdapm. "A Mac OS X command line utility for setting the power management (APM) level for ATA hard drives."

It took away all "click" sounds and made the HDD faster,

I don´t have a MacBook Pro and a 7.2K drive so i can not try it, but i hope it works for this problem also.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    I did the upgrade personally with a Seagate 500 GB 7200 rpm and didn't experience any problems whatsoever until now (it's been a month or so). Computer is now a lot faster (use ArchiCAD and Aperture a lot, besides privately also using iMovie with HD camcorder). My drive is 1/3 full and I also upgraded RAM to 4GB.

I own a 17" MBP (model 4,1).

I really suggest those who plan to upgrade not to hold off from doing it. From the article it seems that the affected drives are the ones coming from Apple not the ones you put yourself in the computer. My Mac is now much faster, although I noticed a slight decrease in battery time (about 5-10% depending on usage).

I am not super-tech-savvy but managed to upgrade it on my own. I obviously keep my TimeMachine, Aperture Vaults always up to date and my old HDD is still at home, just in case
  • Reply 25 of 58
    ossianossian Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

I know you're not supposed to include the entire quote for a reply but...

You have 1 post to this forum.

I don't doubt there is a problem with the battery/logic board etc. but you go into great detail to describe an entire scenario that just happened.

People on this board know I'm not popular for my Apple enthusiasm, especially with Steve Jobs.

Your one post goes into great detail that is just a little to convenient for me (IMO). I'll call BS on the post but think there is a problem.

On other news my iPhone just happened to blow up today but I'm going to wait to post the details until I see an article on AI.

I don't think your post is justified and the tone is hostile. In short completely unproductive. Perhaps you should reflect on his post, which seams constructive and gives people useful advice, and your aggressive response which is to "call BS" and complain about his response being too detailed. I suggest if posts are too long then skim or skip them. They may not interest you but they almost certainly interest someone else.

"People on this board know I'm not popular for my Apple enthusiasm, especially with Steve Jobs."

I don't think he is dissing the object of your affections. In fact I don't think his post was critical at all. Although at times there is too little critical debate on Apple forums as there are some who don't stifle debate by targeting the messenger and pushing out contrary views.

Anyway sorry for taking this off topic however I hate seeing new forum members being slammed for "too few posts to be allowed a voice" or not agreeing with the company line.

Peace out.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    tc60045tc60045 Posts: 2member
    WTF:

- who was the idiot who took that video?

- who was the mouth-breather who bothered to upload it to YouTube?

- who was the knuckle-walking Geico spokesperson who attached it to this post?
  • Reply 27 of 58
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ossian View Post

I don't think your post is justified and the tone is hostile. In short completely unproductive. Perhaps you should reflect on his post, which seams constructive and gives people useful advice, and your aggressive response which is to "call BS" and complain about his response being too detailed. I suggest if posts are too long then skim or skip them. They may not interest you but they almost certainly interest someone else.

"People on this board know I'm not popular for my Apple enthusiasm, especially with Steve Jobs."

I don't think he is dissing the object of your affections. In fact I don't think his post was critical at all. Although at times there is too little critical debate on Apple forums as there are some who don't stifle debate by targeting the messenger and pushing out contrary views.

Anyway sorry for taking this off topic however I hate seeing new forum members being slammed for "too few posts to be allowed a voice" or not agreeing with the company line.

Peace out.

I also was a bit taken back by a perfect first post . that almost feels like it was back written to fill out the post. Felt like a poster who has posted many times before .

Sometimes paranoia feeds on itself. He may very well be the one .
  • Reply 28 of 58
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Seagate had some SERIOUS issues with the first batch of 7200.4 drives. The latest builds (are also $20 MSRP cheaper too) are showing to be very good. I got mine about a month ago. It's in a Mini and since installed as not been shutdown. It started making a "click" about 2 weeks in which started a clone process every night along with TM backups.

Seagate quality is one step above the Hyundai Excel from 1987, being used today. Waiting on a WD Black series 500gb to dump the seagate. The WD 500gb Blue series is actually very good, it's in another Mini here along with 2 MB's.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    Just adding my 2 cents in.

I installed the Seagate 7200.4 drive without the motion sensor in my 2.53 GHz MBP and have had none of these problems. The only issue I have had is during the initial boot sequence. It takes longer for the Apple logo to appear.

I must say I'm surprised that Apple is using the shock enabled drives (model number ends with 'G') with their build to order machines. I specifically ordered the drive without the shock sensor since I read it will interfere with the sensors on the logic board.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    The topic on the Apple discussion forum has turned into a total mess with a lot of inaccurate information and panic. I purchased a CTO 3.06 GHz MBP with the 500 GB 7200 RPM drive in June. Here's what I can tell you for certain:

1. Right away I noticed an odd beep coming from the HD. It was infrequent, seemingly random, and very unusual. Additionally the drive made a lot of clicking noise. When working in an app like Aperture, for example, and scrolling through a large group of photos, the scroll will freeze momentarily at the same time the beep occurs. This little "hang" happens too often, and is very annoying.

2. I first noted in the thread on the Apple forum that it was odd that Apple chose to use a "G-Force" enabled model since they themselves recommended not using them because of the built in SMS. I posted instructions on how to disable it, and tried doing so myself. This did not fix the problem however, as even without SMS the drive still beeped, clicked, and stuttered.

3. In May I had purchased a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive from NewEgg. Same model as the CTO drive I had just received, except it doesn't have the "G-Force" feature. I had been using it in a late 2008 MBP unibody without any issue. I had pulled it from the MBP and put it in an external FW enclosure as that MBP has moved to one of my employees. I decided to swap the 500 GB drives.

4. The non "G-Force" Seagate from NewEgg currently being used in my 2009 MBP has none of the issues. No beeps, no clicks, no stutters, no hangs. It's whisper quiet and very fast. Now in an external enclosure, the OEM drive continues to have issues. Oddly, it doesn't beep, but it clicks and clacks regularly, and still causes the same stutters and hangs. This strongly suggests any conflict with SMS is totally unrelated. The issue is entirely with the drive and not the computer.

5. Further isolating the drive, several have noted the same beeps and clicks when using the drive in Boot Camp, completely removing OS X from the equation.

We'll either need replacement drives (likely) or a firmware fix (hopefully).
  • Reply 31 of 58
    lakorailakorai Posts: 34member
    I've about had it with Seagate. It's like they have taken the worst of their drive technology from Maxtor and integrated it into Seagate. Their debacle with the 7200.11 SATA drives that had bad firmwares, and then the "fix" firmwares were usually bad as well!

The 7200.4 is definitely an impressive drive. But like a Pontiac G8, it can be fast and nice but if it's unreliable compared to an Infinity G35 then I'm not buying it....Seagate has become like GM, shoddy for reliability and trying to duck out of paying up for bad product design and reliability.

We have purchased multiple 7k320 Hitachi drives for our various Macs (and Windows machines) in our office. Very fast, reliable and cost effective. What's funny is the older DeskStar's used to be called "deathstars" because of their poor reliability from IBM.

Seagate used to be considered the best. Now their reliability issues have tremendously hurt their sales and their image.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KBeat View Post

I purchased a CTO 3.06 GHz MBP with the 500 GB 7200 RPM drive in June. Here's what I can tell you for certain:

... ....

We'll either need replacement drives (likely) or a firmware fix (hopefully).

I ordered a custom 17" MBP on Monday which is on its way - FULLY LOADED!!

* 3.06GHz

* 8GB SDRAM

* 500GB @ 7200 rpm

* Antiglare Widescreen Display

Apart from Web design, I'm getting serious about Final Cut Studio and After Effects. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that Apple has fixed these issues by now. Will keep y'all posted if I notice something.

Any advice to avoid the 7200 drive issues when I do the initial setup of the new MBP?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

I ordered a custom 17" MBP on Monday which is on its way - FULLY LOADED!!

Any advice to avoid the 7200 drive issues when I do the initial setup of the new MBP?

No advice. You'll either have the issue or you won't. As far as I can tell (hard to know for sure with the erratic nature of posts on the forums), every CTO 500 GB 7200 RPM drive in the new MBPs has had the issue. It started for me right out of the box.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    I installed a 500gig 7200 RPM ST9500420ASG in a Mac Mini I recently purchased (I had my dealer do the install). No problems with the drive after 6 weeks of use.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:

No advice. You'll either have the issue or you won't. As far as I can tell (hard to know for sure with the erratic nature of posts on the forums), every CTO 500 GB 7200 RPM drive in the new MBPs has had the issue. It started for me right out of the box.

Ok... wait. As I said above, mine is hanging and it's quite annoying, but I don't have any sounds coming from my HD... no beeps or clicks. I ordered mine 4 days after they were announced last month and have had it about 3 weeks. It's a 3.06ghtz, Seagate 500gb, 7200rpm, 4gb ram 17" MacBook Pro. Has anyone had the hanging / freezing / spinning ball issue without the beeps?

Also, my bluetooth mighty mouse stops responding every day and I have to delete it from my bluetooth settings and then re-discover it to get it working again. Weird.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

As far as I can tell (hard to know for sure with the erratic nature of posts on the forums), every CTO 500 GB 7200 RPM drive in the new MBPs has had the issue.

Not true.

I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro 3.06GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM, 4GB of RAM on the day of WWDC and it arrived on June 16th. I've had no problems with beeping, clicking, or system hangups. It has worked perfectly from day one.

It's not clear how common this problem is yet. Clearly the majority of June MacBook Pros with 7200 RPM drives do NOT have this problem or the coverage and complaints about it would be much more extensive. Heck, the SATA 1 issue, though present in all new MBP's, hardly affected anyone materially and it was widely discussed.

Just a guess: this is a Seagate issue. Seagate is about as customer unfriendly as NVIDIA. For the customers that are affected Apple will probably end up eating the cost to replace the defective hard drives.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Another brain surgeon joins AI...

maybe he's stating the obvious, but this fact is often forgotten around forums.

whenever a small issue happens with any computer brand (not just apple), people start getting their panties in a bunch about the evil corporations screwing us over. then the evil corporation releases a patch within a week.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    I have the drive in question (ST9500420ASG under System Profiler) in my shiny new 15" MBP. I've noticed the click-and-beep behavior, and a few temporary system hangs here and there... but this is my first Mac so its nothing compared to what I was dealing with on Windows.

Still, for what I shelled out for this thing, I expect everything to work properly.

I'll be waiting for a fix from apple. *taps foot*
  • Reply 39 of 58
    regattaregatta Posts: 5member
    Hi,

just recived (10days) my new MBP 17, 3.06 - 4GBram- with ST9500420ASG... same problem!!

My MBP freeze sometime when i scroll image for example.. with many click of the HD head..

I tought my HD went bad fortunately I read these post and I discover that i'm not alone!! ARGHHHHH.

Hope to resolve or very soon i will call apple assistence continuously ..DAMM
  • Reply 40 of 58
    I just ordered the ST9500420AS after reading that it was supposedly just the ASG models (of the Seagate drives) that are affected. However, that does not seem to be the case as some people on the Apple Discussions page are also reporting problems with AS models as well. Damn! Most of them report problems getting the drive to format properly so I guess I'll throw it into an enclosure and try formatting it first before going through the hassle of popping it into my MBP. If I have the same problems, I'll just leave it out and format it with my Windows home system to use as a backup drive until Apple releases another firmware update to address this issue. (assuming they do).