What is Windows 7?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Please answer the question without splitting hairs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Good question.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Stop bumping your threads by talking to yourself.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Ok, I will bump it by talking to you instead.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

OK, sorry.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
  • Reply 6 of 28
    From wikipedia:

Quote:

Windows 7 (formerly codenamed XP) is an upcoming version of Microsoft Windows, a series of operating systems produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops, tablet PCs and media center PCs

QED.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is not called MicrosoftInsider for a reason. Go to a MS site to find out about Windows 7.

Someone close this thread.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is not called MicrosoftInsider for a reason. Go to a MS site to find out about Windows 7.

Someone close this thread.

People here talk about Windows 7 all the time. If you don't like it go to stfu.com
  • Reply 9 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

People here talk about Windows 7 all the time. If you don't like it go to stfu.com

As opposed to the iamatroll.com that you seem to come from?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Is Windows 7 just Windows XP with Mac-Like GUI?

Not even close! If that was the object of the exercise then Micro$haft failed miserably. Again!

I've trialed Win7 for a month on an MBP, and it sucks! Big time! Its major claim to fame is the state-of-the-art in OS security management, yet it allowed a W32 trojan to install itself without a peep, within a week of installing Win7. And the UI is just as un-intuitive, and actually infantile, as it has been in the past 25 years.

Afaic Win7 has already bombed massively before it has even been launched!

Leopard runs buttersmooth rings around Win7. Leopard and Snow Leopard are in an entirely different league, compared to Win7.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Micro$haft

Quote:

infantile

Indeed, sir.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Because how could we ever forget for instance this epic performance...?

Scary what Windows can do to a full-grown man, isn't it?

• Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Not even close! If that was the object of the exercise then Micro$haft failed miserably. Again!

I've trialed Win7 for a month on an MBP, and it sucks! Big time! Its major claim to fame is the state-of-the-art in OS security management, yet it allowed a W32 trojan to install itself without a peep, within a week of installing Win7. And the UI is just as un-intuitive, and actually infantile, as it has been in the past 25 years.

Afaic Win7 has already bombed massively before it has even been launched!

Leopard runs buttersmooth rings around Win7. Leopard and Snow Leopard are in an entirely different league, compared to Win7.

Interesting.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Because how could we ever forget for instance this epic performance...?

Scary what Windows can do to a full-grown man, isn't it?

Holy crap. Its like Gates took him and gave him psychoactive drugs and shock therapy before the entered the stage.

Either that or he was forced to endure Windows 7.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

http://tinyurl.com/l8ynsw

Awesome!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

yet it allowed a W32 trojan to install itself

Trojans do not install themselves. Users install Trojans. Trojans are so called after the "Trojan Horse": the big sculpture that the city of Troy thought was a pressie but actually had nasties inside. In terms of a computer program, a Trojan purports to be something useful in order to convince the user to install it, and then goes about its nefarious business.

Either what you've got was mis-reported by a malware checker as a Trojan when actually it's a virus or worm, or it's on your machine because of something you installed.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Trojans do not install themselves. Users install Trojans. Trojans are so called after the "Trojan Horse": the big sculpture that the city of Troy thought was a pressie but actually had nasties inside. In terms of a computer program, a Trojan purports to be something useful in order to convince the user to install it, and then goes about its nefarious business.

Either what you've got was mis-reported by a malware checker as a Trojan when actually it's a virus or worm, or it's on your machine because of something you installed.

Oh look I have a mac! Oh look I cannot install a Trojan even if I tried. I also cannot infect my computer with 99.9999999% of the viruses out there! There must be something wrong...

with windows.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Oh look I have a mac! Oh look I cannot install a Trojan even if I tried.

Wrong. There have been plenty of Trojans for OS X. See this story for info on the most famous one, found in pirated copies of iWork. All OSes are vulnerable to Trojans because they depend on faulty users, not faulty OSes.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Oh look I have a mac! Oh look I cannot install a Trojan even if I tried. I also cannot infect my computer with 99.9999999% of the viruses out there! There must be something wrong...

with windows.

What is wrong with you? Are you having a bad hair day? Do you need to get your post count up? Are you unable to afford a new Macintosh?

Windows 7 is something that will outsell Mac OS X by a factor of 100:1 or more. It will be used by millions of people worldwide as opposed to the miniscule population of Macintosh users (who might end up using it via Bootcamp). It is here, in your face and there is nothing you can do about it. Get used to the smell of Windows 7.

Technically though, the answer to your question is "No". Given the level of technical understanding you have shown in your responses, I would recommend you just take Microsoft's word for it when they claim Windows 7 is something new.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Wrong. There have been plenty of Trojans for OS X. See this story for info on the most famous one, found in pirated copies of iWork. All OSes are vulnerable to Trojans because they depend on faulty users, not faulty OSes.

OMG really? There has been ONE trojan for mac? I don't feel left out now.