Does your Mighty Mouse scroll diagonally?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Mine doesn't.

It either interprets "diagonal" scrolling as horizontal or vertical, or left and right. There is no horizontal and vertical at the same time. I don't recall my previous MM being able to scroll diagonally, either.

I'm not sure what Apple means by "360 degree scolling."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    With "360" selected, mine will scroll diagonally when I scroll fast... if I slow down it seems to revert to the horizontal OR vertical mode.

I actually like it, it may be intentional on Apple's part ... seems to enable more "precise" final positioning in the window. (does that make any sense?)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

With "360" selected, mine will scroll diagonally when I scroll fast... if I slow down it seems to revert to the horizontal OR vertical mode.

I actually like it, it may be intentional on Apple's part ... seems to enable more "precise" final positioning in the window. (does that make any sense?)

How do you select "360"?

Or am I misunderstanding you? I don't see any actual option to toggle 360 degree scrolling.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I found it. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Well the 360 works in theory, except the ball doesn't scroll left unless I apply an inordinate amount of pressure. Very light pressure is enough for up/down and right. Why not for left. Tried all the cleaning tips (I've had one before, anyway) but this one is brand new.

The scrollball on the wired version used to work better. But the problem with that one is that it's optical, and the pointer tends to jump around erratically. And the right click sometimes registered as a left click.

I've had it with Apple's mice. And I was so happy it's Bluetooth. The only other BT mouse with an impressive scrollwheel is the M555b by Logitech. Except it doesn't have enough buttons and doesn't come in white.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    So I was on my THIRD wireless Might Mouse until today.

Scrolling was great. It was a heavier than the wireless MM, but it's wireless/bluetooth, so that is to be expected (though I found the added weight a bit uncomfortable.)

This time, though, the top shell of the mouse was loose. It had a bit too much play to it before it clicked. So back it went.

I've had nothing but bad luck with the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. I went through three of them.

I switched back to a wired MM, and I couldn't be happier. Seems the wired ones are better designed, or at least more solidly built.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Point and clicking on the mighty mouse is like a druken sailor with parkinsons trying to insert a line on the needle. Forgetaboutit just buy a decent mouse.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wow... I've had 2 BT and 3 wired MightyMice, and all of them work just fine.

I do think the scroll ball is a bit too susceptible to dirt... needs frequent cleaning on the ones my kids use. But the one the kids never touch never needs cleaning even.