Apple tweaks Dock menus in new Snow Leopard beta

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

White text on black menus is a fashion statement, not much else.

Fashion and usability are different critters.

Think goatees or "bathing suits" that to the knee. Even netbooks.

Dopey fashions that think they pass for coolness.

So QuickLook is less useful because its windows employ white text on translucent black?

How is this going to impact usability? How? This will be applied to contextual menus in the Dock and perhaps the Menu Bar and/or other menu items. You don't read contextual menus like you read a web page, text document, or PDF generally. What little impact inverting the colors of these menus will have on usability will be offset by their more HUD-like aesthetic that helps them disappear more.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

White text on black menus went out of style? So QuickLook, CoverFlow, Stacks, Leopard's Dock's app labels, iPhoto's face labeler, and Time Machine's interface are all in poor taste as well?

It's not like they're applying it to title bars (aside from QTX) or, god forbid, inverting text documents and web browsers.

I said white on black in general are a carryover from the monochrome CRT days if you're old enough to remember. Plus, if you studied Design you'd know that readability is IIMPROVED when black text is on a light-colored background. It's why we don't have newspapers or books printed white on black paper.

White on Black can look slick and cool for interfaces, but, it IS harder on the eyes. I prefer something easier on my eyes over looking cool. IMO.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

Whenever any tiny change is discovered in SL there's always a horde going "AHA, THIS IS PROOF ILLUMINOUS/MARBLE IS COMING! I BET IT'S IN THE NEXT BUILD!" Although to be fair I'm mostly talking about shittier communities - I'm looking at you MacRumors.

Have to enthusiastically agree with you about MacRumors. Egad. It's become one flamefest after another, while Mods are booting longtime members off to make room for the screeching newbies.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Those white on black menus look hideous. I really hope that can be changed with a Preference setting. I thought this color scheme went out of style years ago when monochrome CRT monitors became obsolete.

Well, you seem to be in the minority here. I, for one, think it looks great and unifies (starts to anyway) the appearance between the OS and the apps, especially the pro apps.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    Quote:

I said white on black in general are a carryover from the monochrome CRT days if you're old enough to remember. Plus, if you studied Design you'd know that readability is IIMPROVED when black text is on a light-colored background. It's why we don't have newspapers or books printed white on black paper.

White on Black can look slick and cool for interfaces, but, it IS harder on the eyes. I prefer something easier on my eyes over looking cool. IMO.

Black text on a white background is better for "long" reading (ex. reading an article in a newspaper). For quick reading, white text on a black background is easier on the eyes (which is why you should use that combo for Keynote presentations (or PowerPoint if you still suffer with that horrid app)). It projects much better. I believe this is the reason why Apple is using this white text/black background combo for popup menus - similar to the HUD used in their apps.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    Sorry for the third post here, but I forgot to say that a black background is the best for displaying images and videos - it makes the colors pop. Hence the changes to QuickTime X.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Black text on a white background is better for "long" reading (ex. reading an article in a newspaper). For quick reading, white text on a black background is easier on the eyes (which is why you should use that combo for Keynote presentations (or PowerPoint if you still suffer with that horrid app)). It projects much better. I believe this is the reason why Apple is using this white text/black background combo for popup menus - similar to the HUD used in their apps.

I was going to respond, but you've said what I was going to say, better.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I installed it last night and while system response has improved a little, still takes longer to boot than 10.5.7. You would think that a 64-bit system that focuses on tweaks wouldn't take so long to boot.

Twice as many bits, takes twice as long :-)
  • Reply 69 of 102
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Windows 7's jump lists are black text on white, not platinum text on black:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...res/jump-lists

With "jump menus", I was referring to the menus accessible by right-clicking the Dock icons, not Windows 7's jump lists. I did mean black text on platinum background though. My bad.

Quote:

What about the new contextual menus is 'overly translucent'? They don't appear any more or less translucent than Leopard's current menus.

Huh? Current leopard menus have no (very little) translucency.

Quote:

What makes white text on black any more arbitrary than black text on white?

The fact that positive text is easier to read and the off-white background strain your eyes less than pure white?
  • Reply 70 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Huh? Current leopard menus have no (very little) translucency.

Right. I don't see these new contextual Dock menus being more translucent than the current black/white ones, or not substantially so. The black background seems to balance out the translucency (again, if they're more translucent at all).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

The fact that positive text is easier to read and the off-white background strain your eyes less than pure white?

Sure, but we aren't going to be reading tiny contextual menus all day, we're going to be reading web pages, text documents, etc., none of which are being inverted.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    From the perspective of someone running the new SL and leopard, there is a noticable translucency difference.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Does 10.6 display with gamma 2.2 now? Is 1.8 gamma history?

Does it show? Any experiences?
  • Reply 73 of 102
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Snow Leopard's gamma is 2.2 as standard. It looks just like Leopard after you shift it's gamma manually, but yes, there is a significant difference. I much prefer the look of Snow Leopard overall as there is more "pop" to the colors.

Combined with the new Quicktime X, the new dock effects and exposè, and all the other alterations, I refuse to use my Leopard lappy till I switch it to SL. I much, much prefer Snow Leopard overall - color and all.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

One thing that had particularly interested me about Snow Leopard was the changes to Quicktime. I had noticed performance improvements when I played HD H.264 flim clips on my Mac Mini 2009 with has the Geforce 9400M (the only graphics chip so far in SL to have H.264 acceleration in silicon). But what I was really interested in was what Quicktime 10 could do for lesser machines.

In addition to the Mac Mini, we have a 2007 15" Macbook Pro Santa Rosa with Geforce 8600 graphics, and a 2006 Blackbook (2 Ghz Core Duo, Intel graphics). Recently I was transferring some episodes of my son's favorite show (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) off my Tivo Series 3 in preparation for a family trip. Disney Channel HD broadcasts the show in 720p and the resolution of my Blackbook is 1280x800. Although the Blackbook had no problems playing 720p movie clips from Apple's Quicktime movie preview site, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse never played well on this machine. The Core 2 Duo Macs in the house didn't have this problem.

In making the MP4 file, although I own Toast 9 which allows you to rip an episode from a Tivo legally for personal use, I decided to use iTivo and let Handbrake do the job. Using the Apple Universal setting, the movie was reencoded for 5.2 Mbit/sec quality and no change in resolution. If the Blackbook under Leopard 10.5.7 played the clip, it dropped a ton of frames and was completely unwatchable. Under the WWDC version of Snow Leopard, the results were pretty much the same. The recent 10A390 update didn't change much.

But the new 10A402 release changed all that and in the process, I finally realized why the clip was so difficult to play. Disney broadcasts the show in 720p/60fps, not the 30 fps that you typically see in iTunes or Apple.com clips. With having the stuff the pipe at twice the frame rate, I understood what the problem was now. But Snow Leopard 10A420 can now play the clip without dropping frames on this lesser Mac.

There is one catch: you must play it in full screen mode (command-F) in order to get proper performance. But it's still amazing that a 720p/60fps H.264 movie is running so well on 3 year old hardware. During playback, Activity Monitor shows about 50-60% utilization on both cores. I'll be revisiting Snow Leopard on my Mac Mini to see if performance on the Geforce 9400M graphics system has improved as well.

In short, you're interested in seeing what sort of software compression algorithms for accelerating H.264 are available in QuickTime X will be available to compensate for those that don't have native GPU h.264 hardware acceleration?
  • Reply 75 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post

im not a developer, just wondering how hard could it be to change the ugly silver bar at the top of every window (pretty much the only thing i hate about mac os x) something which windows does better is the looks and visual effects (although requiring a good graphics card, i presume all nvidia cards can handle this), and would love to see tabs in finder... and another thing, dragging an application to the trash from the dock doesnt work... need to open finder to type in password... pain in the ass.. and stop asking for my password when i dont have one!! i woulld happily pay 80 quid if they fixed these and introduced new GUI, other than that love the new os

If you change your desktop picture, (Windows people call that "wallpaper"), you will see that the task bar, (Menu bar or something, in windows), is translucent, and will change with the color of your desktop. If you think widows colors and graphics look good, don't plan on a career in graphic design.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyPhil View Post

If you think widows colors and graphics look good, don't plan on a career in graphic design.

LOL! Agreed. The MS interfaces look a bit like something Mattel would design for a child's electronic toy.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Is it true that Apple has disabled the Hard Drive Icons from the Desktop by Default? I know some people don't care for it but this is actually something I still like to use. I can drag a file onto the disk icon and it springs open. I have to hold down the space bar to drag it over the finder icon and if I'm dragging from a CD of DVD with no sidebar (yes, I know you can expand the sidebar), I have to open another finder window before I drag. If the Hard drive Icon is there.. I can drag straight to it. It works perfectly. I think Apple needs to change the behavior of the finder Icon in the Dock before the disable the Hard Disk Icon from the Desktop completely.

I understand that you can turn this feature on, but I can't help but wonder if Apple is trying to ween us from this altogether.

At any rate, why fix something that's not broken? I think it's still better to have them there. The idea is the Desktop shows you what you have to work with. I also can't help but think this is a competition with Windows 7's empty desktop appearance but Windows has never been "Volume friendly browsing" and the Mac has.
  • Reply 78 of 102
    Quote:

LOL! Agreed. The MS interfaces look a bit like something Mattel would design for a child's electronic toy.

Too funny! I've always laughed at Winblows defenders (which I think is actually an illness in the Psychiatric book of diagnoses - DSM-IV) who say that OS X looks like something Fisher-Price would have made. Look at XP and Shitsa for God's sake!!!
  • Reply 79 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Is it true that Apple has disabled the Hard Drive Icons from the Desktop by Default? I know some people don't care for it but this is actually something I still like to use. I can drag a file onto the disk icon and it springs open. I have to hold down the space bar to drag it over the finder icon and if I'm dragging from a CD of DVD with no sidebar (yes, I know you can expand the sidebar), I have to open another finder window before I drag. If the Hard drive Icon is there.. I can drag straight to it. It works perfectly. I think Apple needs to change the behavior of the finder Icon in the Dock before the disable the Hard Disk Icon from the Desktop completely.

I understand that you can turn this feature on, but I can't help but wonder if Apple is trying to ween us from this altogether.

At any rate, why fix something that's not broken? I think it's still better to have them there. The idea is the Desktop shows you what you have to work with. I also can't help but think this is a competition with Windows 7's empty desktop appearance but Windows has never been "Volume friendly browsing" and the Mac has.

I completely agree with your critique of the Finder icon on the Dock and its lack of useful functionality, but I disagree with your statement about the "empty desktop appearance" of Winblows 7. Their ripoff of Dashboard is to load up the Desktop with even more icons. Have you EVER seen a Winblows user with an icon-free desktop. Me? Never.

Also, what is the deal with PC users always playing Solitaire on plane flights? Walk up and down the aisle on any plane flight and I guarantee you will see at least one of them playing Solitaire.
  • Reply 80 of 102
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Snow Leopard's gamma is 2.2 as standard. It looks just like Leopard after you shift it's gamma manually, but yes, there is a significant difference. I much prefer the look of Snow Leopard overall as there is more "pop" to the colors.

Combined with the new Quicktime X, the new dock effects and exposè, and all the other alterations, I refuse to use my Leopard lappy till I switch it to SL. I much, much prefer Snow Leopard overall - color and all.

Thanks!

Looking forward to the release =)