Macbook Pro: specs for the future model

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I own a mbp and I am planning to buy a new one in next 2 years(2010 or 2011).

I am satisfied from the model I own(2nd generation) but I would like to know any information that is already known about next generations of mbp.

What do you expect to see in the next 2 generations of mbp?

What rumours exist about it?

What should I expect to see, realistically speaking?

A blueray recorder drive?

A ssd disk?

Minimum memory/hard disk included even in basic mpb models?

Any new screen/battery/unibody features?

Any innovative features?

Lets discuss about it. Any real-world(not just imagination) prospects about future mbp will help me make my planning and take better decisions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not to be A pain but there are several threads on this subject already. Just realize it is all speculation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11 View Post

I own a mbp and I am planning to buy a new one in next 2 years(2010 or 2011).

Buy when needed, do not buy because of want. Especially with SL coming which may change you opinion of your current machine.

Quote:

I am satisfied from the model I own(2nd generation) but I would like to know any information that is already known about next generations of mbp.

Great another person that doesn't understand the word "Rumors". If we knew already then Apple wouldn't have any secrets.

Quote:

What do you expect to see in the next 2 generations of mbp?

What rumours exist about it?

What should I expect to see, realistically speaking?

Expect to see new laptops. Really anything more is speculation. If you want to speculate the threads for that are already open

Quote:

A blueray recorder drive?

A ssd disk?

Minimum memory/hard disk included even in basic mpb models?

Any new screen/battery/unibody features?

Any innovative features?

Lets discuss about it. Any real-world(not just imagination) prospects about future mbp will help me make my planning and take better decisions.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I don't think this question is out of line. it pertains directly to those of us who are going to make a mac purchase; and considering the great improvements we saw recently, especially regarding the imac, macbook, and mac mini; it makes it harder if you are in the market for a MBP.

My response is as follows:

i think apple is a forward thinking company with responsibilities to their survival market demographics. therefore they are needing to respond to a; economic pressures and b; even cooler designs

it is speculation, but i for one don't find it criminal. many predicted the move of the new imac to look like a cinema display (i owned both, and the new imac DOES in fact look as people predicted), etc. etc.

the new bump up in mac mini is making it a viable option for competition against desktop pc's as it's edition from a little over a month ago was pretty weak with 2.0ghz and 1mb of memory; that's pretty slow.

I think the laptops will do the same thing. We will probably see the MBP get a bump as it has been criticized for not being distinguishable from the macbook, and undeserving of the "PRO" label. this considered, I think apple will respond with making their base MBP products with simply higher processing speeds, and considering it's PRO designation I think the entry level Mbp will have 4mb of memory and a 2.4-2.53ghz processor to start with. These are lofty expectations for a $1200 machine from apple, but I think it will happen, especially considering the imac's evolution on the base level being of similar upgrades (2.66ghz to 3.06, and double the memory for the same price).

so, if you want to be rude then fine; but i think this is something that people can talk about. a few months ago a macbook pro was a lot more tasty of a device than it is now, especially with the macbook (I have owned both the new mb and mbp 13" models in the last two months) having the same specs as the macbook pro. Any other ideas? Yes it is a topic brought up a lot, but you know some of us are not sick of it; and this thread was the first on my google search for "2010 macbook pro specs", so i think for spreading knowledge and discussion it is prudent to use this older thread.