Apple's In-Ear Headphones receive a subtle upgrade

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

The in-ear headphone package design is still gynecological looking.

hahah totally uterus!
  • Reply 22 of 51
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    I guess the cable protector now is flush with the new iPod shuffle as well?
  • Reply 23 of 51
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    There is no excuse for the volume controls not to work with any audio device. My $10 Sony's can do this (and they are a lot better headphones than the ones my iPods came with), but Apple's $80 ones can't? Come on.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

still crap, I'd discard them one day 1 if they were the standard plugs that came with the iPod.

Obviously someone who's never even sampled this set for more than 2 minutes.

I'm no "audiophile," but I like great audio response and am a semi-collector of headphones...from Grado to Sennheiser to Shure...and IMHO, these Apple IEMs are a solid value for $79 US. For dual-driver headphones, I really don't think you'll find a better sound quality headset at that price...believe me, I've tried.

I picked up this set about 2-3 weeks ago, and miss them when I am not using them. They really sound great, and the 3GS functionality is superb. They're not for everybody, especially those who insist on a thunderous, deep bass sound that's constantly pounding...but for well rounded high end/low end, solid mids and overall sound, this set doesn't disappoint.

No one cares about a n00b's opinion, but since this is the interwebs, thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Thanks for the link! Not bad prices either!

XGecko

I highly recommend these with the in-ear ear buds:

http://www.complyfoam.com/Product/T%...new-version%29
  • Reply 26 of 51
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

There is no excuse for the volume controls not to work with any audio device. My $10 Sony's can do this (and they are a lot better headphones than the ones my iPods came with), but Apple's $80 ones can't? Come on.

Your $10 Sony's use a resistor in the cord to adjust the volume (higher resistance, lower current, lower volume), which make them compatible with anything but is equivalent to keeping your foot on the gas at all times and using your brakes to regulate your speed. Apples headphones actually adjust the system volume on the device itself.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Warbrain View Post

If this is the case then why hasn't someone come up with a hack available in Cydia that would enable it?

Because unlike most hacks, this functionality is provided in lower level firmware. It'd be possible to hack, but not easy. Generally, the main hacks they exploit are higher-level, where Apple is very verbose in describing it's own APIs. It's like reading a book and they just have to reimplement the words.

This type of hack would be far lower level. It's hardware interaction - which is base-level firmware stuff and not easy to muck with.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Anyone who pays $$hundreds for an iPhone or iPod and uses ANY Apple earbud product is a fool. They're all terrible. The recent iSupply teardown of the iPhone 3GS listed the stock earbud cost as $1.55. What exactly would anyone expect quality-wise at that kind of cost point? These "upgrades" no doubt aren't much better.

There are a ton of great alternatives out there, all of which are a better value. If you listen to a lot of music, spring for something high-end, like Etymotic or Shure. You wouldn't spend a bundle on home stereo components, then pick up cheapo speakers at Radio Shack, would you? Just say no to Apple earbuds. Apple does many things well.. this isn't one of them.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    I have a pair of these for sale. I passed the 15 day return period unfortunately. Only used once. $50 paypal shipped jason dot parry at me dot com.

I love the original $39 ones!
  • Reply 31 of 51
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Because unlike most hacks, this functionality is provided in lower level firmware. It'd be possible to hack, but not easy. Generally, the main hacks they exploit are higher-level, where Apple is very verbose in describing it's own APIs. It's like reading a book and they just have to reimplement the words.

This type of hack would be far lower level. It's hardware interaction - which is base-level firmware stuff and not easy to muck with.

Hooey!

The original iPhone and iPhone 3G lack the fourth conductor/wiring required to adjust volume. What would be the point in Apple holding this functionality back? It's not a system selling feature. Where's the motive? Arbitrary punishment? They could make a good deal of money on existing iPhone 2G/3G users if all it took was a firmware update to enable volume control.

Of course they're going to say they're incompatible with past iPhones, they are. One of the bullet points on the box is 'volume control'. If people buy these for their original iPhone or iPhone 3G and they don't work as advertised, it's one more lawsuit for Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Just noticing this now? It changed over a month ago

perhaps because they were busy failing journalism 101, where you learn the difference between discrete and discreet. even the loons in the craigslist personals know the difference ...
  • Reply 33 of 51
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Is there any headphones out there that support all the features of the Apple In-Ear Headphones?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has discretely updated its premium In-Ear Headphones...

Surely you mean discreetly?
  • Reply 35 of 51
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Your $10 Sony's use a resistor in the cord to adjust the volume (higher resistance, lower current, lower volume), which make them compatible with anything but is equivalent to keeping your foot on the gas at all times and using your brakes to regulate your speed. Apples headphones actually adjust the system volume on the device itself.

Still, the Sony's have better sound, can be used on any device, and cost a lot less. How much energy is saved by Apple's implementation? It's a compromise, not an advancement.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

yeah the buds are DEFINITELY non-standard sizes and also there are no replacements, big red flag for anyone thinking of buying. I lost one medium bud and now am stuck with L.

I've been a "Mac guy" for 25 years. This is the "Apple way" - get used to it, or get a Windows-based sysetem, which is just NOT an option!

I have never liked the ear buds that Apple includes - they just don't fit me right, no matter the size. In spite of what I said above, I just don't get why they skimp on a relatively inexpensive accessory when they are already charging a premium for the excellent devices they provide for us to use.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Hooey!

The original iPhone and iPhone 3G lack the fourth conductor/wiring required to adjust volume. What would be the point in Apple holding this functionality back? It's not a system selling feature. Where's the motive? Arbitrary punishment? They could make a good deal of money on existing iPhone 2G/3G users if all it took was a firmware update to enable volume control.

Of course they're going to say they're incompatible with past iPhones, they are. One of the bullet points on the box is 'volume control'. If people buy these for their original iPhone or iPhone 3G and they don't work as advertised, it's one more lawsuit for Apple.

Incorrect. The fourth connector is there, and is used for the microphone and middle button (only buttton on iPhone old headphones) - the same system is used for all three buttons (vol up / vol down / play-pause) and the microphone.

Check it out at iLounge.com and their extensive (and accurate) analysis.

This connector issue with 4 pins was the centre of the old video-out incompatibility issues.

Why lock them out? To clear a large backstock of old iPhone headphones and to make the iPod Touch 2G more compelling as a product. I still agree it's stupid, but you should research your facts.

As for my issue with their marketing, I have no problem with them saying it's incompatible. My issue was the lie they were told to use on customers that the microphone and centre button won't work at all.
  • Reply 38 of 51

I just wished that apple would make some better earbuds that come with the Iphone. I have had the iphone 3G now I have the 3GS and both earphones have crapped out on me. The best earphones that i have found so far have been my bose earphones. Great quality and i can blast my music without having to worry about blowing out a speaker.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    I splurged and got myself the high end Apple earbuds and found no real difference in sound quality. The rubber ball shaped buds do fit in my ear better but certainly not worth the price.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Still, the Sony's have better sound, can be used on any device, and cost a lot less. How much energy is saved by Apple's implementation? It's a compromise, not an advancement.

Better sound... Now I know you are trolling, considering the article discussed Apples priemum headphones, not the ones that come with iPods/iPhones, although I suspect all of their headphones will be upgraded to the plastic end.

With respect to this "compromise" you speak of. Your $10 Sony's can't play/pause, change tracks, and don't have a mic either. These headphones will still work as headphones for other devices too, no the volume control wont work, but it is worth the sacrifice if it means they work better on their intended device. I don't know how much of this technology other manufacturers can use, but they would be smart to adopt as much of it as possible, as it does provide a better experience.

All of this is off-topic though. The new plastic end looks good, although none of my Apple headphones experienced any problems with the old rubber end.

On the side: Are there any headsets that people would recommend over the Apple ones in the same price range. $80 is probably the most I'm willing to spend.