Journalling: Client vs Server

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Saw this posted over at macslash. It covers a pretty important difference in the way OSX client and server handle journalling.

Essentially, it seems server uses a memory buffer during the journalling write process, which keeps the performance hit down quite substantially from the initially reported 10%-15%. Client doesn't do this buffering, and so the performance hit stays.

<a href="http://www.macslash.org/articles/02/11/15/152253.shtml"; target="_blank">macslash link</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I turned on journalling for my iBook Dual USB (8 MB VRAM), and haven't noticed an appreciable speed hit yet.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

<strong>I turned on journalling for my iBook Dual USB (8 MB VRAM), and haven't noticed an appreciable speed hit yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same here. Everything seems about the same as it did before.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I haven't tried switching on jounaling, but I'm considering doing so soon. The speed hit doesn't affect the whole GUI but rather only disk reads/writes. So, most people wouldn't notice the change anyway. Things like app launch time or copying files are where you would notice a little lag. I'm going to time a few such operations before and after journaling and share my results here.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've noticed a slight lag when having the finder call up some directories that haven't been looked at recently. Definitely greater lag time than before. Nothing too bad, though. Overall, I'd say I can't tell the difference 99% of the time.