think hybrid

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
something that will change the world. what rules the world now ...unfortunately...windows. what would change the world? an os that eliminated the need for windows. an os that would run on a windows chipset; an intel chipset. that would change the future...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    from another forum:

Lets talk about porting OS X to x86

Benefits:

Cheapo hardware: even if Apple remains the sole OEM of OS X-capable boxes, they won't be able to charge too much more than a box running WinXP. The added bonus is that Apple will have access to the latest and greatest CPUs from the Transmeta, AMD and Intel

Bad Things to Consider:

Who is going to drop thousands of dollars in software costs alone to shift over to OS X? Assuming Apple allows all x86-owners to run out and get OS X at BestBuy, you've now got to spend the dough to get MSOffice, OS X itself, the Adobe Apps, new Games...blah blah...and thats only for consumers. For pro users, you'd have to spend tens of thousands of dollars in software costs alone? And for what? To run it on a stable platfrom with eye candy? Why not use XP and throw in an Aqua-fied theme? This makes no sense! No one would go ahead and switch to X because it would offer zero benefits, and a disgustingly prohibitive barrier to entry!

And what about using an Audigy, or the Newest Vid Card in a Mac...do you honestly think that Creative and nVidia are going to sit down and write completely new drivers for OS X? Shit, you have to put a gun against their heads to do it for Windows! Why the hell would the squander their time with OS X! If I were a CEO for a peripherals company, I sure as shit wouldn't! Not when there's an installed base of customers using (or at least soon to be using) a unified OS (WinXP).

And you can kiss that much-vaunted Apple intergration goodbye! Either they keep the platform closed (by not making drivers for peripheral cards) or they try and develop generic drivers for peripherals--either way you can bet your ass you won't be singing OS X's praises!

And most importantly, how will OS X run on x86!? Good or bad? Would you risk your company on it? Why switch when you've got a solid platform working right now? And how long will it take for you to make that transition!?

Arrhhh.....its just that I hear that stupid idea all the time. And it just seems like the dumbest idea.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hybrid? as in gas-electric?

How 'bout a laptop that converts my flatulence to electricity? Battery life would vary for different users, but I'm pretty sure I'd get great performance out of mine.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    osx to wintel machines ain't happening i'll be friggin surprised if it does cause then people willnot buy apple hardware when you can buy a p4 at 1.7 ghz from dell with a flat screen for 1299 and building ur own system is significantly cheaper.

I just don't see it happening
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yeah, how 'bout hybriding a second moubutton

that would be 'beyond'
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Dude, what's with all these people creating brand new usernames to match the names of their forum topics?

I'm gonna to create a username called "JustWondering"
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Personally I thought that fart powered iBooks would be a hit. Apple has always been popular with vegetarians.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by O and A:

<strong>osx to wintel machines ain't happening i'll be friggin surprised if it does cause then people willnot buy apple hardware when you can buy a p4 at 1.7 ghz from dell with a flat screen for 1299 and building ur own system is significantly cheaper.

I just don't see it happening</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's the last gesture of a dying platform (NeXT, Be). If Apple ever makes serious noise about porting to x86, sell your stock.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by O and A:

<strong>osx to wintel machines ain't happening i'll be friggin surprised if it does cause then people willnot buy apple hardware when you can buy a p4 at 1.7 ghz from dell with a flat screen for 1299 and building ur own system is significantly cheaper.

I just don't see it happening</strong><hr></blockquote>

well, i hate to come right out and say it, but you're wrong. (about apple not being able to sell hardware)

even if OS X ran perfectly on x86 architecture, apple would have complete control of the chipsets (you know, all the little controlers on the board). Meaning, OS X would ONLY run on Apple branded-Intel-based machines. Apple could simply sell both PPC-based, and AMD/Intel based. In fact, the contract with Motorola specifically limits the number of PPC chips apple can purchase from other suppliers (IBM), but says nothing of how many AMD/Intel/ARM/SPARC/etc. chips apple can buy.

That said, I still doubt it will happen, the x86 arch is at the end of its life, and the ONLY thing keeping it alive is the brute force GHz push.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    People think that hydrogen to electric will provide the hybrid power of the future, but there's nothing quite like your own all natural methane. :eek:
  • Reply 10 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    What about going the other direction?

Why can't Apple integrate Virtual PC into the OS (or help Connectex doit even better) so it is like Classic is on OS X?

That would be a good hybrid, no?

Also, if Apple were ever to release a PDA (NOT GOONA HAPPEN) they shuld have the same deal for the Palm OS (it should run like a classic environment) and possible Pocket PC if it ever gets big enough...

That last part is off topic and probably impossible with a PDA's processor, so don't discuss it (read: flame me), it was just an idea. Concentrate on what I said in the beginning...

-Paul
  • Reply 11 of 14
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Yeah, I''ve been thinking about that too.

one of the rumors is that Apple's buying a company. could connectix be it?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>What about going the other direction?

Why can't Apple integrate Virtual PC into the OS (or help Connectex doit even better) so it is like Classic is on OS X?

That would be a good hybrid, no?

Also, if Apple were ever to release a PDA (NOT GOONA HAPPEN) they shuld have the same deal for the Palm OS (it should run like a classic environment) and possible Pocket PC if it ever gets big enough...

That last part is off topic and probably impossible with a PDA's processor, so don't discuss it (read: flame me), it was just an idea. Concentrate on what I said in the beginning...

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

well, unfortunately, as someone else pointed out in a similar thread a few days ago, doing the reverse (adding virtual pc to OS X) leaves a platform that gives developers very little reason to develop for. ie, why spend the costs of keeping two dev. units (1 for OS X, and 1 for XP) when you could simply dev for XP only? after a couple years, no one would be developing anything specifically for OS X. apple would be better of porting XP to run on G5's and trying to work out a licensing scheme with Micro$ucks.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by concentricity:

<strong>

apple would be better of porting XP to run on G5's and trying to work out a licensing scheme with Micro$ucks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bite your tongue!!!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by ryukyu:

<strong>

Bite your tongue!!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

He has a point... must have missed that thread. Oh well.

-Paul