Reports say iPhone could be coming to British T-Mobile

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Multiple sources are reporting that that T-Mobile U.K. is in talks with Apple to bring the iPhone 3G – last year’s model – to its mobile service, taking away the phone’s exclusivity from competing carrier O2.

Reports from Register Hardware and guardian.co.uk suggest the appearance of the iPhone 3G on the British T-Mobile network could happen in the next few months.

The Register said O2’s exclusive agreement for the iPhone 3GS appears to remain secure. O2 would also carry the iPhone 3G.

“This represents a major shift in how Apple markets the iPhone,” The Register said, “which currently relies on network exclusives to get a decent subsidy; giving that up shows either greater confidence or reflected disappointment in how O2 has priced up the latest offering.”

The report from guardian.co.uk goes a step further: It states it is “understood” that both Orange and Vodafone are interested in providing the iPhone on their networks as well, if Apple changes its strategy. If that were to come to pass, all of the U.K.’s major cell phone carriers would provide some version of the iPhone.

Richard Moat, T-Mobile U.K.’s new managing director, has taken his position as the company is in the midst of financial trouble. Because T-Mobile does not offer the best handset selection, gaining access to the iPhone 3G would be a major coup for Moat.

“Moat, however, is preparing to reveal his plans to turn around T-Mobile's fortunes in the UK market,” guardian.co.uk wrote, “where it has fallen far behind O2, Vodafone and Orange.”

When it was released in Europe in November of 2007, the iPhone debuted on O2 in the United Kingdom and on T-Mobile in Germany. Much like it did with AT&T in the U.S., Apple secured exclusive agreements with carriers in each nation.

Though it is headquartered in Germany, T-Mobile has subsidiaries in various nations, including the U.S. and U.K.

Though exclusivity for the iPhone through one carrier is the most common arrangement, non-exclusive deals are not unheard of. Since 2008, Apple has signed a number of non-exclusive carrier contracts in various countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ccchrccchr Posts: 3member
    Let's hope T-Mobile US will follow soon! I am sick of at&t!!!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Its About time this happened..

Then Iphone users with o2 will get a better deal on there tariffs...

Bring it on Apple
  • Reply 3 of 14
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Very good news if true. Competition is good for consumers.

O2 have the highest tariffs and lowest subsidies of any of the major networks in the UK. Their 3G coverage is also the poorest. T-Mobile should be able to shake things up nicely.

Quote:

Richard Moat, T-Mobile U.K.’s new managing director, has taken his position as the company is in the midst of financial trouble. Because T-Mobile does not offer the best handset selection, gaining access to the iPhone 3G would be a major coup for Moat.

That is very true. T-Mobile has always had a very poor selection of phones.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    The situation outside of the USA is of course different than here, since most if not all networks use the GSM-system. In the USA only AT&T offers GSM on the 3G frequencies that the iPhone uses.

T-Mobile is still far away from their goal they set in 2001 to become the largest mobile network in the USA, but also in other countries they don't seem to do as well as they would like. I wouldn't be surprised when T-Mobile had already tried to get the iPhone on their US-network too, but as we all know, this has been secured by AT&T.

However anyone who knows the German mentality will agree that they are very stubborn, tough negotiators and usually get what they want. We'll wait and see...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Seems odd that T-Mobile would be picking it up as the 5th worst network out of the available 5. That and they are selling their UK outfit, with Vodafone a likely contender as a potential bidder.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Let's get the ball rolling.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, I can tell you that a 3GS was almost impossible to get for my daughter last week in England. Too bad this won't address that issue.

We went into several O2 stores only to find lines of people waiting for an iPhone. Carphone Warehouse was also out most of the time.

They both actually had iPhone signs pre-printed saying if the phones were in or not!

Does any other carrier than O2 offer iPhones (or any others) locked into a specific contract when they arrive at the store? That was a problem. O2's stores would get phones only for sale with a specific contract, or pay as you go. If they ran out of phones for one of the deals, they couldn't sell any of the phones indicated for another deal. Very odd. Apple in London thought it was odd too.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJMarkyMarc View Post

Its About time this happened..

Then Iphone users with o2 will get a better deal on there tariffs...

Bring it on Apple

Through personal (albeit through my Company) experience, we have had excellent service from O2. We signed a contract for 8 x iPhone 3G in December and we have had any subsequent benefits added to our tariff type (free texts for instance) offered to us. None of this "its for new users only" rubbish!

Also, compared to "the bright one" - whose service and Customer Relations are outrageously awful and Vodafone who are average, O2's Customer service is superb - polite, waiting times for the call centre short and quick access to Technical for queries or problems - they solved a tethering problem we had in less than 10 minutes.

I have to say that I have not had experience of "consumer" service - we have a Business Relationship Contact, but compared to some of the horror stories - especially those coming out of the USA, we are very satisfied.

Prices - when you delete the iPhone "add on" charge (which you know you are going to pay!) are comparable with our last provider - Vodafone. I have NO connection with O2! - just a satisfied customer.

Off the subject - our Exchange Server maintenance man was in today extending the Wi-Fi coverage, was testing it with my phone and commented "I am going to have to get one of these iPhones" - another Apple convert!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, I can tell you that a 3GS was almost impossible to get for my daughter last week in England. Too bad this won't address that issue.

We went into several O2 stores only to find lines of people waiting for an iPhone. Carphone Warehouse was also out most of the time.

They both actually had iPhone signs pre-printed saying if the phones were in or not!

Does any other carrier than O2 offer iPhones (or any others) locked into a specific contract when they arrive at the store? That was a problem. O2's stores would get phones only for sale with a specific contract, or pay as you go. If they ran out of phones for one of the deals, they couldn't sell any of the phones indicated for another deal. Very odd. Apple in London thought it was odd too.

That's always been the case AFAIK. The stock is designated PAYG or contract before the point of sale, and cannot be mixed and matched. I've never known it any other way in the UK. You will frequently see the exact same phone in stock on contract and out of stock on PAYG with the same network. As contract sales are far more lucrative than PAYG sales, they aren't going to want to sell potential contract sale phones to a PAYG customer.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

That's always been the case AFAIK. The stock is designated PAYG or contract before the point of sale, and cannot be mixed and matched. I've never known it any other way in the UK. You will frequently see the exact same phone in stock on contract and out of stock on PAYG with the same network. As contract sales are far more lucrative than PAYG sales, they aren't going to want to sell potential contract sale phones to a PAYG customer.

That's very strange. I guess the US gets one point here then.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:

That's very strange. I guess the US gets one point here then.

I guess that depends. You don't even have a PAYG option for the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

I guess that depends. You don't even have a PAYG option for the iPhone.

As far as I know, we do.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

As far as I know, we do.

Pretty sure it's contract only for the iPhone in the US. Isn't there a PAYG option if you fail all the credit checks?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Pretty sure it's contract only for the iPhone in the US. Isn't there a PAYG option if you fail all the credit checks?

I remember AT&T starting a PAYG program recently. I haven't checked it out.