My iPhone wishlist! What would you add?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi all,

Well I finally made the switch to the iPhone as soon as the 3GS came out. It's lovely, of course and I wouldn't go back... But I've compiled a list of annoyances and wishes I thought I'd share with you. Some of them I may be able to sort out with apps if you can help?...

Alarm and phone ring volumes

This is probably my biggest annoyance. I may be watching a YouTube clip, or some music very quietly when I go to bed so I don't wake anyone. But if I don't turn the volume up again before I put it down, my morning alarm will be next to silent. There should definitely be a separate control for the alarm and ring volumes. An increasing alarm/ring option (like on my old Sony Ericsson) would be even more greatly appreciated.

Pass code restriction on Mail

I don't get this. I can turn on password restriction to a lot of the apps, but not Mail? Surely if there's one app that I don't want other people poking around in it's the Mail app?

Collapsible email folders

I have lots of email folders and it takes a while to scroll through them to find the one I want, so collapsing folders would be cool. Also a smaller font would mean being able to fit more on a page... That font is huuuge!

Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network

Nifty idea of mine. would be good to save battery life non? Or maybe it wouldn't make any difference? Discuss.

Clock on screen while sleeping

It would be nice, but I can imagine it won't happen due to the screen actually being switched off to save power. I guess maybe eventually they'll employ a second e-ink display for that on later models... Maybe.

Set alarm to playlist or song on iPod

Like a clock radio... Would be good to wake up with music rather than a ringtone...

Weather app with live icon like Calendar app icon

I'm constantly told the weather is 23° and sunny it would be good to employ the same Calendar technology to the Weather app so I can see the current weather info without opening the app...

iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar

I know there are a load of ToDo apps on the App store, but I don't get why I can use the To Do list from iCal on the Mac, read it and update it on MobileMe, but can't even see it let alone edit it on the iPhone? I could download a To Do app, but then it won't be in sync with my iCal To Do list. Why, Apple, why?

Other stuff...

SMS smileys

Ability to shift menu pages around

Ability to set custom text message sound

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    tutumiles1tutumiles1 Posts: 115member
    Here are a couple adds to the iPhone

1. The ability to have an alarm from to do's (tasks) and not just email messages! Also, make them loud.

2. To do's from Ical with alarms is also a great idea.

3. Notes tied to notes on my mac-book
  • Reply 2 of 32
    tutumiles1tutumiles1 Posts: 115member
    oops, forgot one!

1. spam filter.......
  • Reply 3 of 32
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    ...especially in Canada.

'Nuff said.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I would add that the vibrate isn't very, er, vibratey. It sounds loud enough when it vibrates on the table, but in my pocket, compared to my last phone, I can't feel it at all.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I wouldn't mind more voice control options for song titles, podcasts, & etc. For example I can say:

"Play songs by Queen" but I can't say "Play Bohemian Rhapsody".

Other things I'd like the voice controls to recognize:

"Play podcast Adam Carolla Show."

"List songs by the Foo Fighters."

"Set timer for 30 minutes."

"Play the movie Batman Begins"

"Show the most recent Powerball numbers"

"New voice Memo" (Activates voice memo app & starts recording)

"Where am I?" (Your location is pinpointed in Maps app)

"List movies from Marcus Majestic Theater"

When plotting driving directions with the Maps Apps I'd like to be able to download the satellite

images of the route prior to the trip. This way when the 3G network drops off in the middle of

nowhere, I'll still have the satellite pics of the route that would be synced to the directions.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Same size form factor, but 3.7" screen. Like faster processors and memory making the UI smoother and faster, a bigger screen will make everything about the UI easier to interact with as all buttons and targets get 10% bigger. It'll make all everything easier to use.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

3. Notes tied to notes on my mac-book

I thought that was already enabled!

I'm not sure where it is ... iTunes phone prefs perhaps?... a click-box to enable syncing of "notes" from the iPhone app to the "notes" within Mail on your Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    real voice dialing like ever other cellphone

notes/ to do lists that sync with mobileme as a separate app

OTA download and syncing of paid for podcast subscriptions

settings shortcut app without having to jailbreak your iphone

battery optimizing app (turn off BT, 3g, etc)
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

"Where am I?" (Your location is pinpointed in Maps app)

"List movies from Marcus Majestic Theater"

I'm sure things like this will be included in future OS updates. Early days with all this voice recognition stuff. Firstly I'd like it to work properly

"Play songs by Queen"

... "Dialling Jean (who you've not spoken to in years)"...

I guess the best way round doing that would be to do it in stages...

"Play songs"

... "What songs would you like to play?"

"Queen"

... "Playing songs by Queen."

Quote:

When plotting driving directions with the Maps Apps I'd like to be able to download the satellite images of the route prior to the trip. This way when the 3G network drops off in the middle of nowhere, I'll still have the satellite pics of the route that would be synced to the directions.

Yes, very nice idea.

My main bugbear, coming from other makes of phone, is that the when the iPhone runs out of juice and you stick it on charge, it can be up to 10 minutes before there's enough charge to use it again. This might be okay in the world of iPods, but in the world of phones it is BAD. The number of times where I've been on the phone to someone important and the phone dies, previously all I needed to do is plug the phone in and I could call straight back. Having to wait 10 minutes is mad!
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

real voice dialing like ever other cellphone

What do you mean by "real voice dialling"? Isn't that what we've been talking about?
  • Reply 11 of 32
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    1. Apple logo on the back lights up

2. A little shorter, but same screen size

3. Terminal to access some of the underlying features

4. Scripting capabilities
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

1. Apple logo on the back lights up

...because an even shorter battery life is what we all crave!
  • Reply 13 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    OLED screen.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

...because an even shorter battery life is what we all crave!

yeah but the battery will die in style

no seriously I always look at the back and think to myself how awesome it would be if it lit up

they can use energy efficient LEDs or whatever

make it optional

put a GUI option to switch it off

I just want it to be there for my next iPhone
  • Reply 15 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

no seriously I always look at the back and think to myself how awesome it would be if it lit up

make it optional

Put a sticker on it.

I'd like to be able to use iChat, mostly text and audio but even video over wifi. It has WiFi and a video camera, why not? Isn't iChat not even supported? Probably because AT&T wants to charge for retarded SMS. What must really scare AT&T is that then you could make free voice calls to people on computers and I assume perhaps even other smartphones if they could connect to AIM, SIP, Skype, or other voice over internet chat apps. Would be cool, probably won't happen, because of the rest of the industry. Same dilemma as me wishing the iPod could have a radio and be able to record it. Hm come to think of it an FM radio would be nice. I live on NPR and stuff. Am I the last one listening to radio or something?

Real vibrate would be key.

The thing I noticed when I was using an iPhone was it was annoying to use as a phone. Like, when I want to call I just want to press ONE BUTTON. Same with ending a call. That's what the ONE button at the bottom should do when it's in phone mode. It should be a SEND/END button. In fact there should be an option to make it an instant SEND/END even when it is just in the Home mode. I think that'd make a lot of people happy. And again with a programmable device it could just be an option, although hopefully the default option.

It doesn't beep when you turn volume up/down unless I missed that in my quick test in the store. That was annoying if that is true.

And no Bluetooth devices. Why is Bluetooth even there!? A KEYBOARD would be the prime add-on device out of anything I'd think. Also I wonder if it can stream sound/video to Apple TV. That'd be pretty sick.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

make it optional

I wouldn't mind the option for the Apple logo to flash when a call comes in while in vibrate mode

or to light up with a bluish glow while I'm on the phone but that should be an option that can be

turned off.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    OK folks, here's the ultimate feature a phone can ever have:

Never, ever recharge. Charge off radio waves!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...a-mobile-phone

Just saw this today, thought it was damn cool. I just forgot to charge my phone last week!
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

OK folks, here's the ultimate feature a phone can ever have:

Never, ever recharge. Charge off radio waves!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...a-mobile-phone

Just saw this today, thought it was damn cool. I just forgot to charge my phone last week!

That would be killer. Its not enough energy to use the phone, but enough to keep it in standby. If it were enough energy to match the amount that the phone is actually using in standby, would be nice. An example would be like drinking a soda. If you drink 50% and then a week later you drink 25% more, then you should still have 25% in the bottle. That means you'd only be draining the battery power that you're actually using up and technically standby would be 100% efficient and you wouldn't lose any power whatsoever. Sweet.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

What do you mean by "real voice dialling"? Isn't that what we've been talking about?

completely hands free, just like my moto v551, i should not have to handle my phone to make a call using "voice dialing" my phone could be in the back seat and with my BT headset, carkit , put voice prints on each contact,

call richard---

call home

or just

home

department etc,

i should not have to press a button on the iphone to initiate this

my 4 year old moto v551 had this, so i could use my BT head set.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

That would be killer. Its not enough energy to use the phone, but enough to keep it in standby. If it were enough energy to match the amount that the phone is actually using in standby, would be nice. An example would be like drinking a soda. If you drink 50% and then a week later you drink 25% more, then you should still have 25% in the bottle. That means you'd only be draining the battery power that you're actually using up and technically standby would be 100% efficient and you wouldn't lose any power whatsoever. Sweet.

That concept would be totally sweet for iPhone but even better for Coke Zero. I want Coke to hire you sir!