Apple may extend antiglare display option to more Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 150
    I'm glad I didn't go buy a 13" MBP yesterday!
  • Reply 42 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Sorry but glossy is better than matte. You can get a cheap ($20) matte sheet to make a glossy screen matte but you cannot get ANY glossy sheet to make a matte screen brighter and more vibrant.

I would like to see Apple add a coupon for a matte screen with the computer paperwork. Neat idea. But given the real world options, the people with "I want a Mac that does.......( including screens, options, and super options (anti gravity, teleporting, running windows software(... opps we have that one. LOL )) hey, enjoy your dreams.

And remember, if Apple pisses you off enough, you can always buy a Dell. :-)

Just a thought.

en

...more than just anti-glare, Matte screens are far easier to colormatch to printers.

we only complain because we care.
  • Reply 43 of 150
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

... I'm glad Apple is realizing quite a lot of people absolutely will not buy a Mac with a glare type screen.

And before you all get started, I have examined all the alternatives:

1: Anti-glare films: Really? on a $3000 designer laptop? They dry out, yellow, crack and peel at the edges ...

I'm pretty sure that we are basically talking about a coating even on the "anti-gloss" Macs. It's not like they are going to be using sandblasted glass or anything.

Whether or not a coating cracks and peels depends on the technology in use. The new Oleophobic coating on the iPhone is obviously a plastic coating of some description adhering to a piece of glass and it seems fine so far.

I predict that this might even be sold as a similar kind of thing. They will likely devise a coating (or already have) that serves multiple purposes and all the new Macs will have it. Anyone who's seen the 3G and the 3GS side by side can see that the oleophobic coating already provides a slightly more matte experience without even trying.
  • Reply 44 of 150
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Just a thought.

Barely.
  • Reply 45 of 150
    I for one didn't upgrade due to the glossy screen & the freaking internal battery. Some of us need to be in the field all day without worrying about glare or recharging. I need to be able to just quickly change the battery after 6 to 8 hrs. of use & recharge once I hit the hotel.
  • Reply 46 of 150
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Sorry but glossy is better than matte. You can get a cheap ($20) matte sheet to make a glossy screen matte but you cannot get ANY glossy sheet to make a matte screen brighter and more vibrant.

I would like to see Apple add a coupon for a matte screen with the computer paperwork. Neat idea. But given the real world options, the people with "I want a Mac that does.......( including screens, options, and super options (anti gravity, teleporting, running windows software(... opps we have that one. LOL )) hey, enjoy your dreams.

And remember, if Apple pisses you off enough, you can always buy a Dell. :-)

Just a thought.

en

No argument, glossy screens have better color and contrast, look sharper, it's the GLARE that's the issue.

Right now nearly everyone thinks that to eliminate the glare/reflections you need a matte screen or make it matte with a film.

But there is another solution, anti-reflective glass.

Apple is using cheap glass, which has no anti-reflection properties.

By the way, the Dell camp is complaining about the glare type screens as well.

http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id=087700000000AtkAAE
  • Reply 47 of 150
    pepplapeppla Posts: 1member
    I'm living in Catalonia (Near Spain) and two years ago I replaced my old ibook with a MacBook Pro with glossy screen. With matte it was impossible to work outside, even inside was a pain in summer.

I have no issues with glossy, if there is any reflection or mirror effect I just change the position one or two degrees, and that's enough. But it is impossible to work outside with a matte screen.

I cannot understand how people is saying that matte is better when working outside.

If you do not trust me, just search images.google.com glossy screen vs matte sunlight and look at the results.

Pep
  • Reply 48 of 150
    With the increase of green building design, we will need to address the fact that a LOT more natural light will be coming into buildings, this will mean an increase in cgare on computer screens. Computer screen glare is a heath hazard, people shifting their posture to see the screen better and just strain on the eyes. Yes, Movies look pretty on those screens, (frankly I blame Sony for this). But we need a better solution, and just offering the option is probably the best way to go.
  • Reply 49 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm pretty sure that we are basically talking about a coating even on the "anti-gloss" Macs. It's not like they are going to be using sandblasted glass or anything.

Whether or not a coating cracks and peels depends on the technology in use. The new Oleophobic coating on the iPhone is obviously a plastic coating of some description adhering to a piece of glass and it seems fine so far.

I predict that this might even be sold as a similar kind of thing. They will likely devise a coating (or already have) that serves multiple purposes and all the new Macs will have it. Anyone who's seen the 3G and the 3GS side by side can see that the oleophobic coating already provides a slightly more matte experience without even trying.

This "Oleophobic coating" might be a solution, I haven't seen it so I can't evaluate it.

It doesn't make a whole lot of business sense to create a computer with more expensive (than matte screen) glass and then apply a film to make it matte again.

Perhaps Apple should spend a bit more money and buy reduced reflection/glare glass in the first place, the anti-reflective properties are baked into the glass itself, not a coating far as I know.

Of course everything comes to price, but Apple could be the only computer company that offers substantially reduced glare screen glass type screens, it fits their high end market perfectly.

Keep the glass, eliminate the glare and reflections and you got one hell of a nice computer system.
  • Reply 50 of 150
    Thank you Apple. I'd pay a lot of money to have a matte. As it is, I have a glare reducing film on my laptop.

It isn't so much that the glossy is "distracting" but that it causes headaches and nausea. I can read the titles of book on the bookshelf behind my desk! I don't turn on my office light to keep the glare down. Thank you thank you thank you!
  • Reply 51 of 150
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Yeah, baby!
  • Reply 52 of 150
    Please, please, please be true.

I've been in the market for a midrange (~$1000) laptop for over a year now and though I have been a happy "switcher" since 2005 with no intentions of switching back, Apple just has not had any product offerings that work for me.

For the longest time, the closest thing Apple had in my price range was the polycarbonate white 13-inch Macbook. Unfortunately, after playing with it several times at the Apple store, the build quality just felt too "cheap" for a thousand dollar computer. Plus I much preferred the matte screens offered (until late 2008) on the Macbook Pro line. So it seemed my only option was to bite the bullet, increase my budget and go for the 15-inch Macbook Pro.

Then in October 2008 both the Macbook and Macbook Pros were upgraded to aluminum unibody cases. Hooray! Finally I could get the 13-inch Macbook, right?

Wrong.

In Apple's infinite wisdom, they took away Firewire in the 13-inch Macbook. Boo!

So I guess I could just go with my half-hearted plan to go for the 15-inch Macbook Pro and get the matte screen I really wanted anyway, right?

Wrong.

Now the 15-inch Macbook Pro doesn't even have the option of a matte screen! That honor now singly goes to the 17-inch Macbook Pro.

There is no way in hell I am going to increase my budget by 250% just to get the seemingly simple features I require:

1) Decent build quality for the money

2) Firewire

3) Matte screen

So again I was stuck pondering the 13-inch white polycarbonate Macbook. *sigh*

But in an unexpected turn of events, Apple seemingly saw the error of its ways and eventually added Firewire back to the 13-inch unibody Macbook--now deeming it a Macbook "Pro". However, like the 15-inch Macbook Pro before it, there is no option of a matte screen.

At least now for a little more money I was originally planning on spending, I could get 2 out of the 3 items I really want/need with the 13-inch unibody Macbook Pro. But I still could not pull the trigger, fearing an immediate and incurable case of buyers remorse.

So here I sit with money in hand, hoping against hope that Apple will eventually offer a computer that I will be happy to buy, rather than just settle for. If I weren't so fed up with a dozen years of Windows problems, I probably would have switched back by now.

Please, please, please let this be true.
  • Reply 53 of 150
    Glossy is nice, but, I prefer matte for the color-matching reasons.

Now if only Apple would bring back the white iMacs, I'd be a very happy camper. The brushed metal look of the new iMacs look too much like my refrigerator. No likey.
  • Reply 54 of 150
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    It's overdue - if nothing else to get the whiners to move onto some new material.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Funny you say the glass screens are easy to clean. We have those glass things at work and every day I come in there's a layer of dust on them, this never happened when we had the matte LCD screens.

The dust is probably there (it has to go somewhere) - you just don't notice it. Get out a cleaning pad approved for LCD displays and go over it - it will surprise you. Speaking of, my 12" PB is overdue for a cleaning - hope I have some LCD friendly wipes left...
  • Reply 55 of 150
    iru69iru69 Posts: 9member
    Please, please, please let this happen. The glossy screens are the bane of my computing existence. It's the number one reason I won't buy a macbook or an iMac. Seriously.

And to those mac fanboy idiots who say stupid stuff like, "don't set your computer up next to a window or under fluorescent lighting", or "don't buy a mac if you don't like it", try venturing into the real world where people don't always have a choice where there office cubicle is or what brand of computer they use.
  • Reply 56 of 150
    It's about time!!!
  • Reply 57 of 150
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You mean you didn't notice it. The quickest way to clean a glossy computer screen? Turn it on and Voila! dust and fingerprints are rendered invisible.

As well as image when viewed in front of any light.
  • Reply 58 of 150
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Finally!
  • Reply 59 of 150
    delete dupe
  • Reply 60 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peppla View Post

I'm living in Catalonia (Near Spain) and two years ago I replaced my old ibook with a MacBook Pro with glossy screen. With matte it was impossible to work outside, even inside was a pain in summer.

I have no issues with glossy, if there is any reflection or mirror effect I just change the position one or two degrees, and that's enough. But it is impossible to work outside with a matte screen.

I cannot understand how people is saying that matte is better when working outside.

If you do not trust me, just search images.google.com glossy screen vs matte sunlight and look at the results.

Pep

Wow, first post. Welcome to the forums.

Can't say I agree with your position, look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU

Perhaps your iBook was really really old and the display was deteriorated and the new glassy ones looked so much better. (and they do)

It's the glare that's the issue, if we can eliminate the reflections and glare the glassy screen will look even better than they do now.