iTunes 8.2.1 now available for download

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple released an incremental update to its iTunes software Wednesday afternoon, nixing the Palm Pre's ability to sync with the application.

Last month, Apple warned Pre users that future software updates may kill sync capability with the device. Precentral.net confirmed the impact brought on by iTunes version 8.2.1.

When they unveiled the feature, handset maker Palm boasted about their smartphone's ability to transfer media from iTunes. The feature worked by identifying the smartphone in its hardware ID as an iPod -- a trick Apple warned might not work for long.

"Apple designs the hardware and software to provide seamless integration of the iPhone and iPod with iTunes, the iTunes Store, and tens of thousands of apps on the App Store," Apple warned a document released in June. "Apple is aware that some third-parties claim that their digital media players are able to sync with Apple software. However, Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players."

When it released the update Wednesday, Apple was vague about what benefits version 8.2.1 offered users.

"iTunes 8.2.1 provides a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices," was all a release note stated.

It is available from Apple's Web site, and also via system update.

The last iteration, version 8.2 of iTunes, was released June 1. It provided support for the iPhone and iPod touch with the 3.0 OS software upgrade. It also included accessibility improvements and bug fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 218
    Apple's attempt to block Pre syncing with iTunes as an iPod?
  • Reply 2 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theelfismike View Post

Update states:

iTunes 8.2.1 provides a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices.
  • Reply 3 of 218
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theelfismike View Post

I'd say it's quite likely this will break Palm's syncing hack. Now iTunes probably uses more than just USB ID to identify the iPod/iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

It is available from Apple's Web site, and also via system update.

Commonly known as Software Update?
  • Reply 4 of 218
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Yea, I guess that's what Pre gets for advertising "$1200 cheaper than a iPhone 2 year contract with AT&T"

My friend has two iPhones, he pays $220 a month. Jesus!

I only pay $10-$20 a month for AT&T voice with their pay as you go.

Got $19 a month broadband.
  • Reply 5 of 218
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisTheGeek View Post

Update states:

iTunes 8.2.1 provides a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices.

Well isn't Pre hacking considered an iTunes bug?
  • Reply 6 of 218
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"iTunes 8.2.1 provides a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices," was all a release note from Apple stated.

This means it doesn't carelessly dump IBEC and IBSS files during your iPhone 3GS restore into /tmp/ or &TEMP* directories. I can already sense the coming pain.... "I followed your guide but it didn't work! I can't jailbreak anymore! WTF unlock doesn't work anymore!"

Its coming guys... Apple's really serious on jailbreaks now. Its a shame, really is.
  • Reply 7 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yea, I guess that's what Pre gets for advertising "$1200 cheaper than a iPhone 2 year contract with AT&T"

If he pays 220 a month he is exaggerating or lying.

My bill is $172 and I have two iPhones' and one normal phone.

That includes unlimited texting, which is my biggest complaint. I have downloaded over 5 gigs of data on my phone, but im still charged 30 bucks for sending a few MGb of texts.
  • Reply 8 of 218
    Yep, it breaks Pre syncing. Search for "#pre" on twitter hehe
  • Reply 9 of 218
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

I'd say it's quite likely this will break Palm's syncing hack. Now iTunes probably uses more than just USB ID to identify the iPod/iPhone.

I wonder if purposely removing it is in Apple?s best interest. I think it may even be in Apple?s best interest to allow other devices to connect to iTunes. My reasoning is two fold.

The app is very common and it?s a key part in the success in the iDevice ecosystem. With so many people using iTunes to manage their music and with the iPod having a monopoly position it?s possible that some places like the EU may look to force Apple to not require iTunes support to use an iDevice. (Hell, they?ve done crazier shit and they don?t have the FairPlay ax to grind to anymore)

Second, If they allow other devices to use iTunes then Apple still has consumers using their app and their iTunes Store, yet they still can?t get videos or apps, which may pull them back to an iDevice in the future. Plus, the iTunes library files and DB are transparent so Palm, albeit with a little effort and cost, could create an app or tie into a 3rd-party app that they can use, bypassing iTunes altogether. While buying a non-iDevice doesn?t benefit Apple, bypassing both Apple?s HW and iTunes benefits them even less; not to mention that Apple has had plenty of time to put the kibosh on the Palm Pre access at this point and haven?t.

Quote:

Yea, I guess that's what Pre gets for advertising "$1200 cheaper than a iPhone 2 year contract with AT&T".

But that is if you do a direct comparison of services. Since I don?t support SMS and usually don?t more than the minimum minutes per month the price for the Pre and the iPhone offer services at the same cost of $69/month for me. I also get the phone I want and rollover minutes, which is peace of mind I like (I?m under the impression that Sprint doesn?t offer that and I don?t feel like looking it up).
  • Reply 10 of 218
    zmaczmac Posts: 15member
    Bloomberg report

*APPLE ITUNES 'DISABLES DEVICES FALSELY PRETENDING TO BE IPODS'

*APPLE SPOKESWOMAN NATALIE KERRIS SPEAKS IN AN INTERVIEW

*APPLE'S NEW ITUNES SOFTWARE UPDATE DOESN'T SYNC WITH PALM PRE
  • Reply 11 of 218
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwwluckyro View Post

That blows my hypothesis.
  • Reply 12 of 218
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if purposely removing it is in Apple?s best interest. I think it may even be in Apple?s best interest to allow other devices to connect to iTunes. My reasoning is two fold.

The app is very common and it?s a key part in the success in the iDevice ecosystem. With so many people using iTunes to manage their music and with the iPod having a monopoly position it?s possible that some places like the EU may look to force Apple to not require iTunes support to use an iDevice. (Hell, they?ve done crazier shit and they don?t have the FairPlay ax to grind to anymore)

Second, If they allow other devices to use iTunes then Apple still has consumers using their app and their iTunes Store, yet they still can?t get videos or apps, which may pull them back to an iDevice in the future. Plus, the iTunes library files and DB are transparent so Palm, albeit with a little effort and cost, could create an app or tie into a 3rd-party app that they can use, bypassing iTunes altogether. While buying a non-iDevice doesn?t benefit Apple, bypassing both Apple?s HW and iTunes benefits them even less; not to mention that Apple has had plenty of time to put the kibosh on the Palm Pre access at this point and haven?t. ...

I had the same thoughts.

I think what Palm did was a bit stupid and a bit underhanded, but I als think it would be in Apple's best interests to let them access iTunes.

Two pieces of the puzzle that are missing at this point are:

- We don't actually know if Apple has completely shut them out.

- We don't know why they did so if they did

For instance they may have shut them out from using a hack only in order to require them to do it "the right way" and be authorised users of the system. This would make sense to me because while you might want to open a restaurant and invite everyone in, you don't want people climbing in the windows at night and just helping themselves.

Secondly, people always forget that large companies like Apple have a whole series of agreements with their partners. It seems to me that this move could easily be engendered by some line in an agreement that says Apple is responsible for policing these kinds of issues. The analogy there is that if I allow a ticket reseller to resell my concert tickets to another company that also will resell them, I want something in writing that they are only going to resell said tickets to licensed resellers.

It's amusing to think that Steve Jobs personally got pissed at his old work-mate and deliberately shut out the Pre from spite, (and that may even be true), but there are a lot of rational explanations as well.
  • Reply 13 of 218
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwwluckyro View Post

Oh dear what a shame

... Palm will have to go to the expense of building and supporting their own rival to iTunes now ... maybe they can hire away a few more Apple staff to reverse engineer that too.
  • Reply 14 of 218
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's amusing to think that Steve Jobs personally got pissed at his old work-mate and deliberately shut out the Pre from spite, (and that may even be true), but there are a lot of rational explanations as well.

It is funny. Doesn't BB still sync with iTunes?
  • Reply 15 of 218
    neonsoxneonsox Posts: 5member
    "FU, Pre!" with this update.

Clearly Apple is protecting it's assets with this move. With so many phones trying to be an iPhone and boast a lot of the same features, why wouldn't they? Competition in technology these days seems to consist of a "If you can't beat them, join them" stance instead of actual innovation. It's like American Idol (never seen it, never will) except it's technology.
  • Reply 16 of 218
    sdfishersdfisher Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I think what Palm did was a bit stupid and a bit underhanded, but I als think it would be in Apple's best interests to let them access iTunes.

Let's review something here:

- iTunes includes an unencrypted XML file listing the tracks in iTunes.

- The music is not encumbered by DRM (at least, the new stuff).

- Any desktop application has full access to that XML file, the file system, and the USB bus.

Add it all up, and there's one inescapable conclusion: Palm doesn't need iTunes to perform the sync of iTunes music to the Pre.

So Apple's denying them iTunes access. So what? They can write their own Pre music sync program. Just don't rely on Apple's code doing the work.
  • Reply 17 of 218
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

We have three iPhones on a family plan. 1400 minutes a month (with rollover), unlimited messaging for all three phones, and we pay $219.98 a month before all the nonsense gets added on.
  • Reply 18 of 218
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That blows my hypothesis.

I think your hypothesis is correct. And spot on.

However, it does not take Steve Jobs' ego into consideration.

I'm sure Jobs is mad not only about Rubinstein leaving Apple, him steering Palm to go head-to-head against the iPod/iPhone universe, but even more so because of Rubinstein's chuzpah to just use iTunes.

In Jobs' universe this simply must stop!

No matter it makes sense or not.
  • Reply 19 of 218
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...15-713116.html

BUT, if they choose NOT to DL the update??
  • Reply 20 of 218
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

Let's review something here:

- iTunes includes an unencrypted XML file listing the tracks in iTunes.

- The music is not encumbered by DRM (at least, the new stuff).

- Any desktop application has full access to that XML file, the file system, and the USB bus.

Add it all up, and there's one inescapable conclusion: Palm doesn't need iTunes to perform the sync of iTunes music to the Pre.

So Apple's denying them iTunes access. So what? They can write their own Pre music sync program. Just don't rely on Apple's code doing the work.

And THAT is probably exactly why Apple did what it did. No reason for them to get complaints about bad compatibility for PRE devices in iTunes.

Let them write their own software.