kernel_task

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why is it taking up so much processor?

[quote]

0 kernel_tas 20.3% 52:27.11 28 0 - 52- - 53.8K 565M

<hr></blockquote>

I remember a bug that kickaha first noticed a while ago but I can't remember what the problem was. Is this the bug, back again? BTW, I do have journalling enabled. Maybe that's what's causing it?

Machine specs: OS X 10.2.2, Ti 667 (rev. b), 512 megs RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    That is pretty horrific.

My DP 1 GHz MDD shows this,

0 kernel_tas 1.8% 4:56.70 27 0 - - - 80.9M- 666M

That's with a DVD rip, iTunes and two setiathome clients in the background. I would report this to Apple's OS X feedback.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wow, you *remember* that?

It had to do with the Rev A. B/W G3 that had an ATAPI Castlewood Orb on the same internal chain as the stock DVD-ROM. Just attaching the Orb caused kernel_task to jump up to 60-80%.

There have been other reports of kernel_task taking up way more time than it should with 10.2.2, check Apple's Discussion boards or search around here a bit. I know I've seen them somewhere, but I have to get to a meeting.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>That is pretty horrific.

My DP 1 GHz MDD shows this,

0 kernel_tas 1.8% 4:56.70 27 0 - - - 80.9M- 666M

That's with a DVD rip, iTunes and two setiathome clients in the background. I would report this to Apple's OS X feedback.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whta do you use to rip a DVD in OS X? I had found software for that in OS 9, but last time I looked for something in OS X (it was a while ago now) I couldn't find anything.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    For some DVDs you don't need special software; just drag the .vobs to your hard disk. Otherwise you can use osex.