Bing's share of search less than Safari's share in browsers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post

I thought I read somewhere that it's an acronym for "But It's Not Google". Kind of clever, but kind of stupid at the same time. A fine line those folk at MS walk.

Sounds more like a backronym to me. If we're making up acronyms though I prefer:

Bing! It's Not Google

It's got the unix geek/free software self referential thing going on (Yay irony!).

GNU = Gnu's Not Unix

Wine = Wine Is No Emulator

Lame = Lame Ain't an Mp3 Encoder
  • Reply 22 of 48
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post

I thought I read somewhere that it's an acronym for "But It's Not Google". Kind of clever, but kind of stupid at the same time. A fine line those folk at MS walk.

If anything, Bing would be an acronym for "Bing is not Google," similar to other recursive acronyms such as Pine = "Pine is not Elm" and Gnu = "Gnu's not Unix."

Edit: goddammit, bloodstains steals my thunder...
  • Reply 23 of 48
    What a bizzare analogy...wtf does does one have to do with another?
  • Reply 24 of 48
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    I'm a Mac user and generally dislike Microsoft products. Having said that, I tried Bing out, and it does a pretty decent job of searching. I also find it very fast. That's not to say that I prefer it over Google, but if I was stuck with only Bing to search, I wouldn't mind much.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    thanx_althanx_al Posts: 70member
    BING - The answer to a question nobody asked.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Bing's not the only alternative to Yahoo and Google.

http://www.cuil.com

You gotta love the Google ads on that site
  • Reply 27 of 48
    What a stupid article. is anyone going to acknowledge the fact that the bing service wasn't launched until JUNE! This article has nothing to do with Bing and doesn't account at all for it's increase in market share since launch.

how about this article that says bing has 8% market share.

http://news.ebrandz.com/microsoft/20...ce-launch.html

which is twice as high as Mac marketshare worldwide and Apple has been making macs for over 20 years. Yikes!
  • Reply 28 of 48
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

I find the commercials clever. Unfortunately, bing doesn't do what the commercials imply. I've used it a couple of times and don't find the results any better than google - it hasn't made my search 'better' as the commercials imply. Actually, if google isn't doing what I want, I find Clusty does a great job of organizing search results. It gives the results but gives you categories on the left. wicked helpful (http://clusty.com/)

Microsoft has outdone themselves with these new ads.

I'm just waiting for them to be used in a domestic violence case: "I'm sorry your honor, if it wasn't for that really annoying Bing commercial on TV, I never would've hit my wife!"

Whenever they come on, I turn off the sound or switch the channel... BING!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Yet again, Microsoft's marketing is so bizarre that they scare people away from their products. The commercials are intensely annoying when they should be helpful and educational.

I tried Bing a few times and didn't see a lot of difference between their results and what I got from Google. If somehow they can educate me on how I can get better results, I might use Bing more often. Instead Microsoft blasts me with irritating ads of people doing free association.

What a stupid company.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Apple should announce their own search engine: BONG!

I'm sure that Dell dude is available to do the commercials.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Of course that's Safari usage on Windows, Mac, iPhone, and iPod Touch combined. When that's said then Safari's gains are not surprising.

I love Safari 4.0 as it is everything the Safari should have been in the beginning. Yet, I use IE on my work Windows laptop even though it has Safari loaded on it. I'm not crazy about the look of Safari on Windows, so I don't use it there. Apple really needs to rethink its look (maybe it is just the XP version that is ugly).

And why would you use IE instead of firefox?
  • Reply 32 of 48
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

What a stupid article. is anyone going to acknowledge the fact that the bing service wasn't launched until JUNE! This article has nothing to do with Bing and doesn't account at all for it's increase in market share since launch.

how about this article that says bing has 8% market share.

http://news.ebrandz.com/microsoft/20...ce-launch.html

which is twice as high as Mac marketshare worldwide and Apple has been making macs for over 20 years. Yikes!

Microsoft leverages a monopoly position and sells its software across every PC vendor on earth apart from Apple, so your comparison between Windows and Mac OS in terms of market share doesn't represent what you seem to think it represents. Since 2004, Apple has gone from a ~1.5% share of the PC market to what is now closer to 8%, and Apple makes far more per unit than Microsoft does--go compare Apple's earnings to Microsoft's and account for the size of the two companies.

Now compare the fact that, while Macs and Safari have both climbed dramatically since 2004 against a monopoly position, Microsoft's monopoly-leveraged, Windows-tied search business has shrunk up by almost 60%! It's getting Special Olympics-style applause for getting a blip of coverage after spending millions on ads.

Please try to keep up. The article you cite doesn't give 8% MARKET SHARE, it says "8% of unique users," another clever statistic to fool morons. A (limited) flurry of unique visitors checked Bing out in its debut month, but they did not account for a similar SHARE of SEARCHES because they weren't really looking for anything, they were just looking AT BING. Do you think that is sustainable?

Pay attention to details and you won't be so overwhelmed and impressed by the propaganda machine Microsoft's $80-100 million is buying.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Excuse me for a simple question: Why is a browsers market share important? Does Apple or Microsoft make money out of it? No. ...

You had a good question, but then you gave a really bad answer to it. Browsers do in fact generate revenue. Internet Explorer generates revenue. Firefox generates revenue. This is the reason that Steve Jobs gave to porting Safari to Windows. He didn't want to "leave money on the table."
  • Reply 34 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You had a good question, but then you gave a really bad answer to it. Browsers do in fact generate revenue. Internet Explorer generates revenue. Firefox generates revenue. This is the reason that Steve Jobs gave to porting Safari to Windows. He didn't want to "leave money on the table."

They definitely make money from searches, but I think that Apple?s decision to port Safari to Windows is a little deeper than just making a couple million from the search field each year.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

You gotta love the Google ads on that site

The company is founded by most of the major developers who worked at Google. It stands to reason they would leverage their own legacy.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

(vs. Microsoft who make money from Windows, XBox, Office etc.)

MSFT makes money off xbox?? lol

Check their annual 10-K - Entertainment and Devices division is a perpetual money-loser, until finally in FYE 2008 it eeked out a $270m operating profit off $8b in revenue....ie, razor thin profit margins.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    wow, this is honestly the first time I've heard of Bing.

Where is the marketing campaign for this? - does it come in a box of cracker jacks?
  • Reply 38 of 48
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

Where is the marketing campaign for this? - does it come in a box of cracker jacks?

This is the first think I thought of when I heard of this.

• Reply 39 of 48
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

You need to visit this website more often.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Why the hell did they name it Bing? Microsoft has the worse product names. Zune? Bing? Microsoft Bob?

Here's the "naming session" in a nutshell...

"OK, we need a short, memorable name for our search service... yeah, something that just rolls off the tongue... kinda like 'Zune'... and we'd like to be able to push into the Chinese market to compete with Baidu eventually... now, what fits all of those goals...... ?"